Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TV Licence - ALL TV licence discussion/queries in this thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭nacho66

gman2k wrote: »
    Society....the common good....etc.

Yeah? Then why 'society' and 'common good' is not being contributed by people that don't have TV sets? Do you get my point? I don't understand why an electronical apparatus decides if I one makes contribution or not. It's either COMMON good or not

There are many different fees that we pay... I pay tax, but I'm using public service in various shapes everyday. I pay car tax and fuel duty but I drive that very car using that fuel. I pay flight fares, but in the end I travel. Insurances, bills... Of all payments, TV license is the only one that I actually get no real benefit from. If it's created for 'society' (cause surely there's no use for me) rename it from TV license to tax and make everyone pay, not only those with TV sets (those without can still listen to radio after all)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Get you license under a different name, your partner or other family member. It's a new license then. I did that a couple of times without problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭jakdelad

if you say you do not posess a tv please go away
    can they get search warrant
    considering a superintendant has to sign off on a warrant?
    does the garda regularly oblige tv licence inspectors
    what happens ??do they come back and bang on your door
    i have a warrant open up or we ll kick down the door
    seems a tad drastic to gouge the licence fee out of folk that way

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

jakdelad wrote: »
    if you say you do not posess a tv please go away
    can they get search warrant
    considering a superintendant has to sign off on a warrant?
    does the garda regularly oblige tv licence inspectors
    what happens ??do they come back and bang on your door
    i have a warrant open up or we ll kick down the door
    seems a tad drastic to gouge the licence fee out of folk that way

They return with a Garda armed with a warrant.

They return with a Garda armed with a warrant.
    are you serious?
    a super signs a warrant
    and they can come and kick in your door,for to find out if you got a tv?
    are search warrants that handy got ???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

You seem surprised.

excollier wrote: »
    You seem surprised.
    jesus for a tv licence???
    a warrant a garda and an inspector
    mind you its not surprising when you can get 5yrs in jail for fireworks
    you wouldent get that for carrying a knife
    just an other example of our ahem laws

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I would think that this would only be used as a last resort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Riskymove wrote: »
    from citizens info

Ridiculous nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭imfml

Why not remove the broken tv from your premisses, that way you legally do not need a licence for now, and can show them when they knock around instead of getting a door kicked in.

When you get a new tv, keep the receipt and show it at the post office when you are getting your next tv licence. It would seem unreasonable if they didn't believe you at that stage.

If you refuse to backpay in the autumn, and say you are only willing to pay 1 year from the day you are buying, I can't see them refusing to sell you one until you backpay, even with the way things are, the Post Office clerk is surely just there to sell the licnece, not to enforce the (ridiculous) law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I'd send them an email now saying "I don't have a TV, please remove me from your register". Put a delivery receipt on it, hang on to the sent mail and the delivery receipt, recycle the broken telly, buy new telly and new license on the same day.

does anyone know how much RTE claw in in license fees??
    and does the ginormous salarys paid to messers kenny and duffy
    make them the highest paid in the public/ civil service???

does anyone know how much RTE claw in in license fees??
    and does the ginormous salarys paid to messers kenny and duffy
    make them the highest paid in the public/ civil service???

I think the head honcho at the ESB gets a significant amount, and the guy that runs the NTMA also gets a goodly amount. AS for RTE, look in their annual accounts, available on RTE's website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I though the TV inspectors didn't need a warrant?

Years ago I had one call to do and was quite insistent in seeing there was no TV.

BrianD wrote: »
    I though the TV inspectors didn't need a warrant?

Years ago I had one call to do and was quite insistent in seeing there was no TV.

If they are refused entry, they will get a Gard to attend the location in case of a breach of the peace. They do the same for a bailiff.

If they are refused entry, they will get a Gard to attend the location in case of a breach of the peace. They do the same for a bailiff.
    but you are not obliged to let them in without a warrant??

I am not sure what the legisltion calls for, but if they attend with a Gard, I think that you are going down a very tricky road if you do not co-operate with the requests of a Gard on duty. He is there to enforce the law, and prevent a breach of the peace. That is a very wide range of activity. If he deams that the inspector is within his rights, then he will help him enforce those rights. More or less, whatever it takes.

I am not sure what the legisltion calls for, but if they attend with a Gard, I think that you are going down a very tricky road if you do not co-operate with the requests of a Gard on duty. He is there to enforce the law, and prevent a breach of the peace. That is a very wide range of activity. If he deams that the inspector is within his rights, then he will help him enforce those rights. More or less, whatever it takes.
    not sure your spot on there
    you cant enter a premises willy nilly
    surly until a search warrant is got
    they cannot enter thats the idea of the warrant
    is the gard not there to uphold the law ?
    and the courts enforce it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

TV licence inspectors largely rely on peoples ignorance and uncertainty of the law and their rights.

You dont have to let them in. You dont have to give them your name in fact you dont even have to speak to them other than telling them to remove themselves from your property.

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    TV licence inspectors largely rely on peoples ignorance and uncertainty of the law and their rights.

You dont have to let them in. You dont have to give them your name in fact you dont even have to speak to them other than telling them to remove themselves from your property.
    now we are getting a bit of balance
    so its not all one way traffic

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Merged
    Gard

Garda or Guard please...

icdg wrote: »
    Merged

Garda or Guard please...

It was phoenetic for all the non-gaelgorai like me. Sorry, I will try harder next time.

I thought a Guard was the guy at the back of the train.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

It was phoenetic for all the non-gaelgorai like me. Sorry, I will try harder next time.

I thought a Guard was the guy at the back of the train.

That is the worst excuse for bad spelling I have ever heard. A word that is used all that time in normal Hiberno-English, kind of like saying you can not spell!

But then I don't believe you should correct peoples spelling or grammar on boards. (mainly because every post I make would be commented upon).

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

Had a visit from TV licence inspector last month... Told them that I didn't have a license yet as it was a new house and we'd recently moved in, but that I needed to get one. They asked if I'd received any letters about it and I told them no, which actually was the truth. Anyway, they left me with a yellow docket and I just assumed that I need to go get a TV licence ASAP. But I'm just wondering now if the docket means that I might get fined or something? It's a yellow docket that says 'Customer Copy' and 'Broadcasting and Wireless Telephony Acts' at the top and has info about the inspector visit etc. The inspector seemed nice and friendly when they gave the docket to me, so I presumed it was nothing bad?!! Is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Fyda

Hey! I've already read through this thread, but it's a lot of information at once, so I'd like to ask again: If I've got two TVs at home, but use them only for DVDs/Video games - do I have to pay for them, even if I (actually) can't use them? I think yes actually, but I'd like someone to confirm this before I spend so much money for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 irol

We got a letter today about getting a licence, which I don't have a problem with, but my flatmate is definitely moving out next month, and there's a 50% chance I'll be moving too. If I stay for the year, then there's no issue, but if I move out, what's the deal if I move into a flat where there already is a licence? Can I 'freeze' the licence?

I have no problem paying a TV licence , my problem is with giving the money to RTE. Its like having to pay for channels i dont want to subscribe to .

If all my money could go to BCI, i would have no problem with that .If i could put that money into the economy i would be happy with that too. RTE doesnt need the money, they sell advertising and are expensive at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I have no problem paying a TV licence , my problem is with giving the money to RTE. Its like having to pay for channels i dont want to subscribe to .

If all my money could go to BCI, i would have no problem with that .If i could put that money into the economy i would be happy with that too. RTE doesnt need the money, they sell advertising and are expensive at that.

What would the BCI do with it? (Now BAI).

Elmo wrote: »

They would waste it on trips to countries that have a working DTT service to try to learn why we do not have one yet.

• Advertisement

Elmo wrote: »

Not spend it on Cocaine.

Advertisement