Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moving Virgin to Sky?

• 24-02-2021 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭

I have stayed with Virgin for many years as I was getting a good price and I can't get a dish.
    Do I need a dish? I heard I don't anymore.

There is a good offer with Sky of €20 per month for tv (€25 with netflix) for 12 months. I am trying to get a price with good broadband but it's not finding my eircode. I will have to phone Sky in the morning when they open.

A few questions for Sky experts!
    Why would they not be finding my eircode ( I'm in Dublin)?
    Is the netflix provided a normal subscription that I can log onto from different devices? My elderly parent is signed into my netflix on her tv channel 999 with Virgin.
    Is Sky Q just the tv box/modem?
    I currently need a extender plug upstairs. Would that work with Sky Q?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

You still need a dish for Sky. There is a separate service called Now TV that doesn’t need a box but mostly only carries Sky-owned channels. A service called Sky X that doesn’t need a dish has been launched in Austria but tbh it could be years before it arrives here if at all and is more like an upgraded Now TV than comparable to Sky Q.

Sky Q is the name of Sky’s current generation STB. It’s main selling point is that - with a Multiscreen subscription - it only needs one box hooked up to a satellite feed. Multiroom boxes can slave off the main box and tablets/phones have full access to the in-house channel line up while on the same network as the Sky Q box.

The Netflix is exactly the same as regular Netflix and runs on any device Netflix supports with the same apps. Only difference is that you are billed through Sky and recommendations pop up in the Sky Q Home Screen. You can purchase Disney+ through Sky the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

Thank you for all that information. I have just been on the phone to Sky and unfortunately as my house has external insulation I cannot get a dish. Sky won't take responsibility for any damage to the insulation. They used to fit them to the side of a chimney but they don't do that anymore due to the health and safety risk of sending their fitter up a ladder to the roof!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Might be worth giving an independent installer a call. They are usually able to access the chimney.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

tina1040 wrote: »
    Thank you for all that information. I have just been on the phone to Sky and unfortunately as my house has external insulation I cannot get a dish. Sky won't take responsibility for any damage to the insulation. They used to fit them to the side of a chimney but they don't do that anymore due to the health and safety risk of sending their fitter up a ladder to the roof!!

You can put a dish on a pole or even on the ground and run the cables in at some convenient point.

Have you considered broadband from Virgin?

Do you require reception of channels that are subscription only ... such as sport? If not then a non-Sky Free to Air satellite system might suffice, with no subscription needed into the future.

Advertisement