Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The glorious Revolution best books

• 09-02-2021 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

I am going through a Glorious Revolution phase at the moment so was wondering what were the most interesting and most readable books that you have read about it?
    And books about Ireland and the Glorious Revolution also.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,058 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I've seen these two recommended:

1688: The First Modern Revolution

The Glorious Revolution: 1688 - Britain's Fight for Liberty

Not sure how you'd find anything specifically about Ireland short of a work about Irish history that covered that period.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

The book "Why nations fail" mentioned in one of its chapters about this event and viewed it through the lens of economic history, i.e. the clash of trading versus land-owning segments of British society in that period.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Historybluff

This two volume history by Tim Harris is good: Restoration: Charles II and His Kingdoms, 1660-1685 and Revolution: The Great Crisis of the British Monarchy, 1685-1720.

Advertisement