Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sorry! another Freeview aerial question

• 08-02-2021 1:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭

I've searched and searched and I'n no clearer than I was, so posting out of frustration/desperation!Lots of the Freeview threads are old (6+ years)

I bought a new TV for spare room, LG 32LM6300 with both tuners

Used my indoor aerial picking up all Saorview just fine (though Virgin 1 does not look HD!!!) I'm 2KM from transmitter

Where do I start though we the Freesat? Live on east coast
    I have a sky dish, but to cable too it is neither easy or pretty
    Can you use an aerial with a booster?

Really appreciate your advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,076 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Virgin 1 is not on HD on Saorview
    For Freesat your current dish will work fine once it's not an original Sky Q LNB, needs to be a cable going to the dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

I am trying to something similar to OP - I have twin Sky cables (non Sky Q) running to a spare room with a Saorview/Freeview enabled TV. The TV has one aerial input so am I safe to assume that I will need a box with multiple inputs? How does it work with twin cables?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I am trying to something similar to OP - I have twin Sky cables (non Sky Q) running to a spare room with a Saorview/Freeview enabled TV. The TV has one aerial input so am I safe to assume that I will need a box with multiple inputs? How does it work with twin cables?

Each cable from the LNB (the yoke pointing at the dish) will carry a signal. That is assuming that the dish is appropriately aligned to Astra sat.

The TV needs an aerial input and a sat input to allow you to connect to dish. Sounds like you may only have aerial input? If so, you can only connect directly to aerial, ie Saorview (Rte etc...)

You'll need a sat box. You can use your old sky box or buy a new non-sky one. If you use an old sky box you are stuck with their interface which isn't as user friendly for the free satellite channels.

Freetv.ie are good for buying stuff. Used them a good few times and was happy enough with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

The two cables coming from the dish are to allow you record one satellite channel while watching another. To facilitate this it is possible to get triple tuner combo boxes that take your aerial signal and the two satellite cables. You can then view and record from either source.

See also

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Virgin 1 is not on HD on Saorview
    For Freesat your current dish will work fine once it's not an original Sky Q LNB, needs to be a cable going to the dish.

i noticed during the match yesterday that Virgin 1 had a little HD beside it on the saorview signal. was like looking out a window in torrential rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

i noticed during the match yesterday that Virgin 1 had a little HD beside it on the saorview signal. was like looking out a window in torrential rain.

see here

Advertisement