Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TÉ National Anthem clip

Options
  • 12-03-2006 8:40pm

I remember seeing a 1960s clip of the Telefís Éireann closedown on Richard's site a long time ago. Is there anywhere I could get a better quality version of it please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

No this wouldn't be the one I'm looking for. The one I'm referring to was from the 1960s in black and white. It showed the Proclamation (among other things) and ended with an Aer Lingus jet (707?) flying off into the distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

I have the clip on video cassette, it was recorded back in 1992 during RTÉ's 30th anniversary celebrations.

At some point I intend to upload a *better* version of the clip. I'll post a message here when I do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

It was also on the night of RTÉ's 40th, when Thelma Mansfield, when she did invision for the night, and had a pukka closedown.

Then the late film started :)

I had it here, but for the life of me, I dunno where it is. I've gone through a few PC's in that time. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Karsini wrote:
    I remember seeing a 1960s clip of the Telefís Éireann closedown on Richard's site a long time ago. Is there anywhere I could get a better quality version of it please?

Ahhhhh.............the good old days........when RTE actually forced you to go to bed!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

AFAIK there were three National Anthem films. The first was the black and white clip on my site; then there were two colour films. In my opinion the best film of the lot was the first colour film, which was run from 1972 until about 1988 or so. This was the film that started with with waves breaking on a beach and ended with a spectacular shot of the Blasket Islands. :)

I never liked the last closedown film as much!

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

I know it's been a long time since I started this thread but I found the clip on YouTube. :) Can't believe I never noticed the CIÉ 121 class loco before!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYUdR2CiDhk (embedding disabled so I can only link)

Excuse the bump but here's a much better quality version of this:

Looks like the CIÉ loco is class leader B121 itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

I always find that old anthem clip very odd. The fact that it ends with an Aer Lingus plane leaving the country, during a time of high emigration is quite interesting too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

flaneur wrote: »
    I always find that old anthem clip very odd. The fact that it ends with an Aer Lingus plane leaving the country, during a time of high emigration is quite interesting too.

Not really Ireland was in a boom period in the 1960s, while many were leaving the country Avation and even the arrival of Television was a major stepping stone to economic growth and industrialization. This is the era of Lemass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

Even so, it does have a bit of a soviet news reel vibe to it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

flaneur wrote: »
    Even so, it does have a bit of a soviet news reel vibe to it :)

Even so almost all nations will have a similar type of anthem from the 1960s. It's about nationhood. Except here it is light on military prestige.

Advertisement