Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

Dave "Pee-Wee" Herman has signed for UFC.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/02/15/dave-pee-wee-herman-released-by-sengoku-signs-with-ufc/

Can't wait to see how he handles the step-up in competition, he's got the potential for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,186 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Jayo_M wrote: »
    Dave "Pee-Wee" Herman has signed for UFC.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/02/15/dave-pee-wee-herman-released-by-sengoku-signs-with-ufc/

Can't wait to see how he handles the step-up in competition, he's got the potential for sure.

Jorge Santiago too, both have left WVR/Sengoku and signed for the UFC. Well Santiago isn't confirmed, but highly likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,908 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Has anybody seen anything 'Official' about Silva being out of the Rampage fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

scudzilla wrote: »
    Has anybody seen anything 'Official' about Silva being out of the Rampage fight?

Yeah, it's been confirmed that Matt Hamill will replace Silva.

Hamill was supposed to be fighting Phil David, but Jason Brilz is stepping up to fight Davis instead.

There's been no announcement as to what the craic is with Silva though.

After dropping hints of a possible move to 145 pounds, two-time lightweight title challenger Kenny Florian (14-5 MMA, 11-4 UFC) erased all doubts.

On the latest edition of ESPN's "MMA Live" series, Florian announced he'll meet Brazilian featherweight Diego Nunes (16-1 MMA, 1-0 UFC) at June's UFC 131 event.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has since verified that both fighters have verbally agreed to the fight and that bout agreements are expected to be finalized shortly.

UFC 131, which is expected to take place June 11 at Rogers Arena in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. It's currently unknown if the Florian vs. Nunes fight will factor into the evening's main card.For Florian, the move confirms he'll now compete in an incredible fourth different weightclass for the UFC.

A finalist on the original season of "The Ultimate Fighter," Florian competed as a middleweight on the show. After losing to Diego Sanchez in the tournament finale, Florian dropped to 170 pounds, where he went 2-0. Despite the success, Florian dropped down to 155 pounds, where he amassed a 9-3 record that includes two failed bids at the UFC lightweight title.

He'll now try his hand at 145 pounds.

Nunes fights for the second time in the octagon following a successful 4-1 run in the WEC. The once-beaten Brazilian made his UFC debut at January's UFC 125 event, where he registered a decision win over former WEC champion Mike Brown. The win was Nunes' third straight win.

While Nunes possesses skills in both the standup and grappling departments, his past six fights have all gone the distance.

Source : http://mmajunkie.com/news/22536/kenny-florian-vs-diego-nunes-in-the-works-for-ufc-131-in-vancouver.mma

If this fight is not on the main card it'll be a travesty

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Strange move by Florian really. He already looks skin and bones at 155.

I read that he'd have to win a fight to get a title shot, I'm not sure why but interesting nonetheless.

I think Jose Aldo would eat him for Breakfast and he's better off staying 155.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭lil-evil

Tito Ortiz out of Fight Night 24 bout, Phil Davis faces Antonio Rogerio Nogueira

Headline UFC Fight Night 24, set for March 26th from the Key Arena in Seattle, Washington

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    Strange move by Florian really. He already looks skin and bones at 155.

I read that he'd have to win a fight to get a title shot, I'm not sure why but interesting nonetheless.

I think Jose Aldo would eat him for Breakfast and he's better off staying 155.

I think BJ was quoted to say "It'll be hard to stay competitive after cutting off your leg"

The UFC's first-ever trip to Washington has undergone a major overhaul.

UFC president Dana White today announced that Tito Ortiz has been forced out of the UFC Fight Night 24 main event, and Phil Davis has been tapped as a replacement opponent for Antonio Rogerio Nogueira.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has learned from sources close to the promotion that an accidental training-session headbutt forced Ortiz to receive 22 stitches. An MRI and CT scan indicated no serious damage, but the wound was severe enough to force Ortiz to withdraw from the bout.

A timetable has not yet been determined for Ortiz's return – a bout White has referred to as a "must-win" matchup for the former light heavyweight champion.

UFC Fight Night 24 takes place March 26 at KeyArena in Seattle and airs live on Spike TV.

Davis (8-0 MMA, 4-0 UFC) had been expected to fight Matt Hamill at April's UFC 129 event, then Jason Brilz when Hamill was pulled in favor of a UFC 130 matchup with Quinton "Rampage" Jackson.

Davis, a former NCAA Division I national wrestling champion for Penn State, has made a smooth transition since his pro MMA debut in 2008. After signing with the UFC in early 2010, he extended his undefeated streak with decision wins over Brian Stann and Rodney Wallace and submission victories over Alexander Gustafsson and Tim Boetsch.

The recent win over Boetsch, which came via a modified hammerlock that Davis jokingly calls "the Mr. Wonderful" after his fighting nickname, earned him a "Submission of the Night" award.

Nogueira (19-4 MMA, 2-1 UFC), the twin brother of former UFC champ Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, recent suffered a unanimous-decision loss to Ryan Bader in a key UFC 119 bout. Prior to the defeat, the PRIDE vet owned a seven-fight win streak, which included UFC wins over Luiz Cane (which earned a "KO of the Night" bonus) and Jason Brilz ("Fight of the Night").

Linky : http://mmajunkie.com/news/22541/tito-ortiz-out-phil-davis-faces-antonio-rogerio-nogueira-at-ufc-fight-night-24.mma

• Registered Users Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

scudzilla wrote: »
    an accidental training-session headbutt forced Ortiz to receive 22 stitches. An MRI and CT scan indicated no serious damage, but the wound was severe enough to force Ortiz to withdraw from the bout.

That's a pretty big headbutt, 22 stitches

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    That's a pretty big headbutt, 22 stitches

Who headbutted him, Antonio Silva?

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Who headbutted him, Antonio Silva?

Ken Shamrock's truck headbutted him.

Who headbutted him?

His head finally split by mitosis and headbutted itself.

Apparently, Thiago Silva is expected to fail his closely scrutinised drug-test, making the Vera v Silva fight a "no-contest".

Since Vera was cut after the loss, he's been placed back on the UFC roster.

Source

Strange one... Even if Thiago was on dope, it's not like the fight was even close. Vera was manhandled good and proper.

Reading the bit about being back on the roster but having nothing scheduled, I wonder if it was a technicality? We know the UFC can cut you at any point, but legally do they have to give an official reason? If so and they cut him for losing to Silva, would that result becoming a no contest mean that the firing isn't legal?

Just a thought. If so, they'll just rehire him and fire him again...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

UFC Currently have two dates on hold in Ireland.

June and October.

source

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

SDTimeout wrote: »
    UFC Currently have two dates on hold in Ireland.

June and October.

source

Wouldn't get too excited over that, last time they spoke to him they had 6 held over. I'd think the June date will go to England too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Wouldn't get too excited over that, last time they spoke to him they had 6 held over. I'd think the June date will go to England too.

Last time they spoke it was 4 held actually. There's no doubt in my mind they HAVE had these dates held. There will be a show in Ireland this year . I think the June one is for the UK as we have said before there's a few of us who think it could be a MW title fight if Bisping wins at the weekend.

A slight problem with all the moany Irish MMA fans is........ if we moan and moan and moan and Dana says "right fine, i'll give you a f*cking show to get you off my back", they could just give us a token show. Throw a few mid-level BWs our way and have a name like Chris Leben or somebody headlining.

What I want is a well thought out show where they give us what they've given the Aussies, a fight of the calibre of Penn v Fitch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Last time they spoke it was 4 held actually. There's no doubt in my mind they HAVE had these dates held.

Sorry, thought it was 6.
    I think the June one is for the UK as we have said before there's a few of us who think it could be a MW title fight if Bisping wins at the weekend.

I believe this also.

• Advertisement

a fight of the calibre of Penn v Fitch!

My money is on that being a snoozer though!

Vitor is calling out Bisping.

This would make a good fight in my eyes. And would give Bisping a proper shout at being in contention for a title shot should he win!

Vitor is calling out Bisping.

This would make a good fight in my eyes. And would give Bisping a proper shout at being in contention for a title shot should he win!

He could also make the trip home afterwards aboard a flying pig.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    He could also make the trip home afterwards aboard a flying pig.

Pigs have an under rated role in MMA..... just don't mention a Spit-Roast to Bisping!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 BoomsMMA

I agree that UFC has grown so rapidly in popularity over the past few years that we should be rewarded with a card that would rival 127 in Aus. Lets hope it happens sooner rather than later!!

The Oz card wasn't great.
    The Main event had two big names, but Rivera in the co-main event.
    After that it was home grown talent really that made up the numbers. And each got an opponent equal to their level in the UFC (Brian Ebersole being an exception as he was a late step in)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 BoomsMMA

I agree that the Oz card wasn't the best we have seen and it was tailored more towards home talent to draw in the crowds. In my oppinion Ebersole was the star of the show even after being a late replacement so I'm looking to see more of him in the future. It would be interesting to see what sort of match-ups they would go for in an attempt to satisfy the Irish fans should it happen.

BoomsMMA wrote: »
    I agree that the Oz card wasn't the best we have seen and it was tailored more towards home talent to draw in the crowds. In my oppinion Ebersole was the star of the show even after being a late replacement so I'm looking to see more of him in the future. It would be interesting to see what sort of match-ups they would go for in an attempt to satisfy the Irish fans should it happen.

It really wasn't to sell to the crowd. It was prob just easiest.
    The two Oz cards have been in the top 3 or 4 selling events. This was selling out in record time regardless of who was on the card.

The sad/annoying this is, a lot of the tickets were bought up by touts this year and were on ebay and gumtree. Even before the event, there were people at the doors selling tickets.

Mellor wrote: »
    It really wasn't to sell to the crowd. It was prob just easiest.
    The two Oz cards have been in the top 3 or 4 selling events. This was selling out in record time regardless of who was on the card.

The sad/annoying this is, a lot of the tickets were bought up by touts this year and were on ebay and gumtree. Even before the event, there were people at the doors selling tickets.

And for that you can blame UFC, When ya join Fight Club to get presale tickets you're allowed to buy 6 tickets per membership!!! (8 for that big Canadian event)

I, and others, moaned in Fight Club many times that reducing the number to 2 would stop a lot of touts but they just didn't wanna know.

And UFC partnered with StubHub, which is basically a scalping site, so fcuk 'em, now if i have spare cash i'll just buy 6 tickets and sell them for double, if it's good for the goose.......

• Advertisement

Yeah, 6 is a joke. I can understand people wanting to sit together, but has to be a better way.

At least this time a lot of people got screwed with spares by the time event came.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement