Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Woman sues Dunnes Stores over glass jug which shattered after she poured hot water in

Options

Comments

gmisk wrote: »

Oh look. Judge Kevin Cross.

"The judge also said she had made no attempt to hide the fact she had settled a separate action for €10,000 against Lidl supermarkets after issuing proceedings over a slip and fall in 2013."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭NeinNeinNein

gmisk wrote: »
    I wonder if the chip fell off her shoulder?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,828 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I wonder if the chip fell off her shoulder?
    It instantly brought to mind a Victoria wood sketch for a claims site called slipped on a chip dot com...it's scarily accurate lol.

I can't find video but text is below.

It was just an ordinary day, I slipped on a chip. I rang 'slipped on a Chip dot com.' I won 8000 pounds in compensation. Enter a funny sketch and then the warning at the end of advert....
    "Warning 'Slipped on a chip dot' com is not available for French fries, curly chips or mash." Brilliant

Apologies in advance if this comes out the wrong way, I just want to say I absolutely do not in any way encourage or agree or sympathise with this sort of bolloxology in any way.

But the question has to be asked, who can blame the girl? I mean what's happened in this country in the last 40+ years (at least, to my personal memory anyway) to suggest she shouldn't chance it? It's not her fault it's worth a punt. If you're on minimum wage, low pay, social welfare, just not a lot of disposable income in general for any reason, and all of a sudden you find a list of legal precedents as long as your arm shelling out 5 figure sums in (*cough*) "compensation" for the slightest imaginary insult, why wouldn't you go for it? Morals and scruples be damned, if the law says you get 10K 'cos someone looked at you sideways then who am I to argue?

Just looking at another recent thread here, OK we can all start farting and moaning about how a couple thought they should get 75 grand for being handed their restaurant bill in the smoking area instead of at their table in the dining room. Why shouldn't they think that? The law does nothing to the contrary and sure they've probably spent their entire lives reading newspaper articles about similar cases thinking this sort of thing is entirely the norm. And it is.

TL/DR? Don't blame the chancer, blame the enabler.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭NeinNeinNein

Apologies in advance if this comes out the wrong way, I just want to say I absolutely do not in any way encourage or agree or sympathise with this sort of bolloxology in any way.

But the question has to be asked, who can blame the girl? I mean what's happened in this country in the last 40+ years (at least, to my personal memory anyway) to suggest she shouldn't chance it? It's not her fault it's worth a punt. If you're on minimum wage, low pay, social welfare, just not a lot of disposable income in general for any reason, and all of a sudden you find a list of legal precedents as long as your arm shelling out 5 figure sums in (*cough*) "compensation" for the slightest imaginary insult, why wouldn't you go for it? Morals and scruples be damned, if the law says you get 10K 'cos someone looked at you sideways then who am I to argue?

Just looking at another recent thread here, OK we can all start farting and moaning about how a couple thought they should get 75 grand for being handed their restaurant bill in the smoking area instead of at their table in the dining room. Why shouldn't they think that? The law does nothing to the contrary and sure they've probably spent their entire lives reading newspaper articles about similar cases thinking this sort of thing is entirely the norm. And it is.

TL/DR? Don't blame the chancer, blame the enabler.
    Have you made any claims yourself?

• Advertisement

Have you made any claims yourself?

No, never, I'd be from a different generation that prefers to take responsibility for our own actions/stupidity. That's the way we learnt things, I just don't put 100% of the blame entirely on the shoulders of the claimant here if that's what she's been instructed is the normal course of events.

"Someone looks at you sideways? Here, have a quick 10 grand!". Absolute BS make no mistake, but there's a lot of people involved in this chain making money from the whole scam culture other than the self identified "victim".

My point is that it's kinda hard to blame her for genuinely not seeing that she might be doing something wrong. I don't agree with it, I made that clear, but if the courts are shelling out other people's money hand over fist why wouldn't she think she's totally in the right here?

Things have to change further up the chain here, the claimant is only taking advantage of a situation not of their making and for which they don't have a valid reason for thinking is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Reminds me of the time I poured lava into a poppadom, got severely burned and the courts gave me €5Bn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,183 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

How many warnings will they have to put on a glass jug in the future?
    If you leave it fall it could shatter.
    If you put boiling water in it it might shatter.
    If you put water in it and freeze it might shatter.
    If you hug it might shatter.
    If you stand on it it might shatter.
    If you sit on it might shatter.
    If you throw it at a wall or ceiling it might shatter.
    If you drive over it, It might shatter.
    If you put it in the fire it might shatter.

How many warnings will they have to put on a glass jug in the future?
    If you leave it fall it could shatter.
    If you put boiling water in it it might shatter.
    If you put water in it and freeze it might shatter.
    If you hug it might shatter.
    If you stand on it it might shatter.
    If you sit on it might shatter.
    If you throw it at a wall or ceiling it might shatter.
    If you drive over it, It might shatter.
    If you put it in the fire it might shatter.

My dad bought a step ladder a while back. It had so many warnings on it, it was one step below saying do not stand on this step ladder.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭Cordell

The judge said he accepted that in Slovakia, which is Ms Cekanova’s home country and in parts of Eastern Europe it is the custom to make tea in a glass jug
    What about suing Slovakia for not warning people leaving for Ireland that the Irish glass jugs are prone to shattering when used to make hot tea?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Even if dunnes sold a faulty jug.. 56k is just fecking silly. Where do they get these numbers from

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Is Dara Murphy related to Judge Cross? No messing around with anything under €50 k.

How can I sure to get him for my upcoming claim. ( I haven’t made up my mind what the claim is yet, but he would hear the case fairly and then order compensation)

In the old cowboy films you always got a fair trial before being found guilty.

Plane loads of Slovakians here next week.

joeysoap wrote: »
    Open the betting now

20/1 it dismissed

10/1 she gets a decent settlement

5/1 gets a very generous figure

Evens the judge says Dunnes should be more careful

5/1 it is then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

On the basis that the judge awarded damages because the woman is Czech and using glass jugs for hot tea is a custom there, should he not have studied up on awards given to such "victims" in the Czech republic and given similar.
    Do you think she would get €56K out there? Would she feck.

On the basis that the judge awarded damages because the woman is Czech and using glass jugs for hot tea is a custom there, should he not have studied up on awards given to such "victims" in the Czech republic and given similar.
    Do you think she would get €56K out there? Would she feck.

Slovak.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Slovak.

Wherever. Point stands

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

My dad bought a step ladder a while back. It had so many warnings on it, it was one step below saying do not stand on this step ladder.

Sure packets of peanuts nowadays say " may contain nuts" on them .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭enricoh

This week the main insurer of creches in Ireland has packed it in. No doubt premiums and childcare costs will rise a result.
    The likes of this parasite and ivory tower judge are the reason insurers are legging it outta here.
    56k should inspire plenty more claimants to chance their arm!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Twas the Vodka that went in to jug before the tea was the problem ( Jugs of Vodka.... nice for some lol).

Cover the medical expenses and a thousand or so for inconvenience and travel and that's that. IMV.

I also wonder where the compo figures come from. But fair play to Dunnes for taking it to court and not settling on the steps.

We are doomed with this type of thing, and despite everything it is not receding at all from what I can see.

TRIBUNAL!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Lord Fairlord

In fairness i remember everyone gave the lady who was burned by coffee in MC DONALDS a hard time.

But this was what happened to her.

https://media.makeameme.org/created/in-their-latest.jpg

Her name was Stella Liebeck and she was 79 ...they found Mc Donalds kept their coffee way hotter than safety regulations allow.

But everyone just laughed. It wasnt funny .

People shouldn't judge until they have the facts.

Unless the claiment is a member of FG.

She put the coffee (which is a hot beverage) between her legs which was an insanely stupid thing to do. Even if the coffee had been a few degrees cooler, one would need to remove any clothing against the skin that was affected after spilling a hot drink immediately; the clothing would hold the hot liquid against the skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

In fairness i remember everyone gave the lady who was burned by coffee in MC DONALDS a hard time.

But this was what happened to her.

https://media.makeameme.org/created/in-their-latest.jpg

Her name was Stella Liebeck and she was 79 ...they found Mc Donalds kept their coffee way hotter than safety regulations allow.

But everyone just laughed. It wasnt funny .

People shouldn't judge until they have the facts.

Unless the claiment is a member of FG.
    Both she and McDonalds were at fault though - McDs for the water being hotter than the regulations stipulate; the lady for putting the coffee cup between her thighs when sitting in the car and taking the lid off. I mean you just don't do that with a very hot drink in a plastic or cardboard or Styrofoam container.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Let's get back to the jug bought in Dunnes FGS and the amount paid out and why.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Another triumph for the ethical solicitors club.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

By the time you add in legal fees, you're looking at €75k. This is why insurers often throw €10k at cases like this to make them go away.

The potential rewards are too tempting, will little downside for a failed claim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Do people not pour boiling water into glasses ever? I know I have, when making Lemsip or hot whiskeys or whatever. I wouldn’t be suing of course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Both she and McDonalds were at fault though - McDs for the water being hotter than the regulations stipulate; the lady for putting the coffee cup between her thighs when sitting in the car and taking the lid off. I mean you just don't do that with a very hot drink in a plastic or cardboard or Styrofoam container.

She accepted a portion of the blame though. Her part in it was acknowledged.

Advertisement