Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kevin Lunneys alleged attacker dies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,474 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

macwal wrote: »
    One article I read in the past few minutes describes the police as finding a "treasure trove" of information at the house in Derbyshire.

Hopefully its true, and destroys the lives of these criminals and their families and associates.

I can’t imagine that the suspect who died would have been computer savvy enough to cover his tracks either. I’d actually say that most of the stuff found in his safe house was in written form.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭facehugger99

padd b1975 wrote: »
    "Once recruited by MI5".

Show me a Provo and I'll show you a tout.

For most of those scumbags, Irish nationalism is a handy flag of convenience that allows them to indulge in their criminal and psychopathic acts.

They are bullies and cowards and wouldn't think twice about grassing up their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I'd say it was across the water he picked up the Dublin Jimmy sobriquet. Any Irish person would take one look at the lad and surmise he wasn't reared anywhere near the big smoke:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Letwin_Larry

I can’t imagine that the suspect who died would have been computer savvy enough to cover his tracks either. I’d actually say that most of the stuff found in his safe house was in written form.

tbh i cant even imagine that fat gorilla being able to use a PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,474 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

!

How the Hell was he not still in prison?
    The court system is a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭AllForIt

For most of those scumbags, Irish nationalism is a handy flag of convenience that allows them to indulge in their criminal and psychopathic acts.

Truer word never said and not said often enough. Nobody scumbags trying to make a name for themselves cuz they can't cut it in the real world.

He's a hard man now but not in the sense he wished for.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Oxter

, unbelievable the gardai weren't able to do anything to him in the past five years.[/quote]

To say they didnt want to do anything would be more accurate!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,974 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Oxter wrote: »
    , unbelievable the gardai weren't able to do anything to him in the past five years.

To say they didnt want to do anything would be more accurate![/QUOTE]

Without the Gardai intel, the raid in the UK wouldn't have happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Larbre34 wrote: »
    , my only regret is his loss as a source of information to the paymasters.

a lot of secrets died with him

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

terrydel wrote: »
    Our police service are a laughing stock.

Why do you claim that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Judging by the laughable intimidatory signs that were put up, he didn’t know how to use spellchecker anyway. I wonder if the treasure trove of information found my the police includes his household budget with his “salery and expences” on it. Fugging moron.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭dontpanic

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Can someone tell this simpleton why he was attacked, and by whom? Without speaking in code and nudge nudge wink winking :p I live too far away to understand border talk!

A commenter posted this on The Guardian Facebook for someone asking the same and I thought it was really helpful (not sure if it's correct though as I also don't know the situation well)

"I live on the border with Northern Ireland. This story is really complicated, and connected with the crash in 2008. The original owner of this company, Sean Quinn, was at the time the richest man in Ireland. He unfortunately tried to make money in the futures markets backing a bank called Anglo Irish Bank, who were the most exposed bank in Ireland when the banks crashed, and lost everything. He lost so much that all of his companies were declared bankrupt and were shut down. fast forward about five years, and the building industry in Ireland started to pick up again. A group of his former company directors got together and tried to raise the finances to reopen the building supply wing of his companies. Sean Quinn wanted back in, but his name was so tarnished that their financial advisers told them that they wouldn't be able to raise any capital if he was associated with the attempt, so they refused him. They raised the capital to reopen and did. Here's where it gets complicated. Sean Quinn established his empire during the Troubles in Ireland. One of the main sources of income for terrorists during the Troubles was "protection money", money paid to terrorist groups to "protect" your business (pure mafia). Sean Quinn grew up in this environment, so he paid. When the company reopened, terrorist groups who formerly received protection payments thought the golden goose was back, so they contacted the new owners to tell them what their protection bill would be. The new board refused to pay. This attack is the latest escalation in an attempt by Irish gangsters to force a company to pay them. They cut this man to ribbons, then poured bleach in his wounds. They broke his leg with a fence post, then hit it again because they didn't hear the snap. They slashed under his fingernails with a box knife then dipped his hands in bleach. They carved the initials of his company into his chest with a box knife. They then dumped him in a ditch at the side of a rarely used country road in the middle of nowhere, but away from beside the road, in a grass verge, hoping he would be found dead (a common practice for informers during the Troubles in Ireland). This is literally the bare bones of the story. Hope it helps you to understand why certainly on this occasion, businessmen are not the enemy."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Was he a ‘good Republican’?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Was he a ‘good Republican’?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Rashers Big Log

Would almost never say this about any human being but delighted this violent, pathetic POS died in a pool of his own piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,912 ✭✭✭pgj2015

“We understand that the officers were executing a warrant at the property at around 7.30am when the man, aged in his 50s, became unwell. He was taken to a hospital where sadly he was later pronounced dead. We declared an independent investigation late this morning after we were contacted by the force and we have sent investigators to the property and to the police post incident procedure to begin gathering information.”#

LOL

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Mary Lou and Sean Quinn are the same funeral...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

I wonder will there be scum in balaclavas at his funeral

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

That will be the Quinn family

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭NewRed2

radharc wrote: »
    I googled his name and the first image that came up was a Sunday World front page from 2014 identifying him as the ringleader of the attacks on the Quinn businesses. 2014 for **** sake, unbelievable the gardai weren't able to do anything to him in the past five years.

Judges let off scot free OR hand down far too lenient sentences for scumbags all the time which must frustrate the hell out of the Gardai as well as the public.
    So.... in this instance maybe it worked out for the best. He's gone now and can't do any more harm from a prison cell or early release etc....
    I'd call it a win. Even if it took longer than it should have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

dontpanic wrote: »
    A commenter posted this on The Guardian Facebook for someone asking the same and I thought it was really helpful (not sure if it's correct though as I also don't know the situation well)

"I live on the border with Northern Ireland. This story is really complicated, and connected with the crash in 2008. The original owner of this company, Sean Quinn, was at the time the richest man in Ireland. He unfortunately tried to make money in the futures markets backing a bank called Anglo Irish Bank, who were the most exposed bank in Ireland when the banks crashed, and lost everything. He lost so much that all of his companies were declared bankrupt and were shut down. fast forward about five years, and the building industry in Ireland started to pick up again. A group of his former company directors got together and tried to raise the finances to reopen the building supply wing of his companies. Sean Quinn wanted back in, but his name was so tarnished that their financial advisers told them that they wouldn't be able to raise any capital if he was associated with the attempt, so they refused him. They raised the capital to reopen and did. Here's where it gets complicated. Sean Quinn established his empire during the Troubles in Ireland. One of the main sources of income for terrorists during the Troubles was "protection money", money paid to terrorist groups to "protect" your business (pure mafia). Sean Quinn grew up in this environment, so he paid. When the company reopened, terrorist groups who formerly received protection payments thought the golden goose was back, so they contacted the new owners to tell them what their protection bill would be. The new board refused to pay. This attack is the latest escalation in an attempt by Irish gangsters to force a company to pay them. They cut this man to ribbons, then poured bleach in his wounds. They broke his leg with a fence post, then hit it again because they didn't hear the snap. They slashed under his fingernails with a box knife then dipped his hands in bleach. They carved the initials of his company into his chest with a box knife. They then dumped him in a ditch at the side of a rarely used country road in the middle of nowhere, but away from beside the road, in a grass verge, hoping he would be found dead (a common practice for informers during the Troubles in Ireland). This is literally the bare bones of the story. Hope it helps you to understand why certainly on this occasion, businessmen are not the enemy."

The good people of Fermanagh call a stanley knife a box knife? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Quinn has cost the citizens of this state over €3.5 billion between covering his investment losses and the insurance levy. In the past I felt sympathetic towards the Quinns.
    Not any more.

I thought all the people that attended the marches in support of him paid for it themselves, if they supported him that much then it would be the right thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Depends on how good a republican he was.
    Ipso wrote: »
    I thought all the people that attended the marches in support of him paid for it themselves, if they supported him that much then it would be the right thing to do.

Coming from that part of the island, I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Imagine they had a Stanley knife and a leg breaking bat?

Obviously Lunney's stronger, fitter & made of tougher stuff than this departed gentleman.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Ur man who died is probably the ugliest c*nt I've ever seen. Can't think of many more uglier people than that

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Good result all round.

Bambi wrote: »
    The good people of Fermanagh call a stanley knife a box knife? :confused:

The person who asked wasn't Irish (usa I think but I can't quite remember) so the person who answered likely used a more widely understood term in the explanation.

If you like I can go back to the comments thread and ask if they say box cutter or stanley knife in Fermanagh :P :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

"I live on the border with Northern Ireland. This story is really complicated, and connected with the crash in 2008. The original owner of this company, Sean Quinn, was at the time the richest man in Ireland. He unfortunately tried to make money in the futures markets backing a bank called Anglo Irish Bank, who were the most exposed bank in Ireland when the banks crashed, and lost everything. He lost so much that all of his companies were declared bankrupt and were shut down. fast forward about five years, and the building industry in Ireland started to pick up again. A group of his former company directors got together and tried to raise the finances to reopen the building supply wing of his companies. Sean Quinn wanted back in, but his name was so tarnished that their financial advisers told them that they wouldn't be able to raise any capital if he was associated with the attempt, so they refused him. They raised the capital to reopen and did. Here's where it gets complicated. Sean Quinn established his empire during the Troubles in Ireland. One of the main sources of income for terrorists during the Troubles was "protection money", money paid to terrorist groups to "protect" your business (pure mafia). Sean Quinn grew up in this environment, so he paid. When the company reopened, terrorist groups who formerly received protection payments thought the golden goose was back, so they contacted the new owners to tell them what their protection bill would be. The new board refused to pay. This attack is the latest escalation in an attempt by Irish gangsters to force a company to pay them. They cut this man to ribbons, then poured bleach in his wounds. They broke his leg with a fence post, then hit it again because they didn't hear the snap. They slashed under his fingernails with a box knife then dipped his hands in bleach. They carved the initials of his company into his chest with a box knife. They then dumped him in a ditch at the side of a rarely used country road in the middle of nowhere, but away from beside the road, in a grass verge, hoping he would be found dead (a common practice for informers during the Troubles in Ireland). This is literally the bare bones of the story. Hope it helps you to understand II are qQyt t savages why i Was d certainly on this occasion, businessmen are not the enemy."

This version of events doesn’t quite gel with the understanding of what is happening on the ground. The people carrying out the attacks aren’t doing so because they haven’t been paid protection money. They are doing so because they are being paid by someone who wants the management driven out.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    This version of events doesn’t quite gel with the understanding of what is happening on the ground. The people carrying out the attacks aren’t doing so because they haven’t been paid protection money. They are doing so because they are being paid by someone who wants the management driven out.

Interesting. Would love to hear more if there is another explanation or theory you know of?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Interesting. Would love to hear more if there is another explanation or theory you know of?

If the Americian backers decided to off-load QIH at below market value, there probably isn't a person within 200 miles who would be shocked if Sean Quinn emerged as the buyer.
    And that article isn't really accurate, it's not like the place was shut down and mothballed.
    Cyril McGuinnesses brother rammed a burning Jeep Cheokee , loaded with old tyres, into the foyer of the Quinn Packaging factory, causing 6000000 euro of damage four years ago.
    30 people were inside at the time.
    The glass factory was bought by a Spanish firm.
    Was talking to a concrete contractor two weeks ago and he claims the quality of the concrete is better now than under Quinn, and the drivers now have a bit of manners when delivering.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement