Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is sociology a real science?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Upforthematch

I consider sociology as much of a science as economics or theology is... i.e. not a science. Sure there are surveys statistics and reasoned discussion but to claim that these follow the same quantitative principles as the 'hard' sciences is simply an enlightenment era wet dream.

Psychology is an interesting one. Parts are pure fluff but the parts about cognition or the links with neuroscience arguably could be seen as a part of biology.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Upforthematch

jimgoose wrote: »
    Some say that mathematics isn't a science because it doesn't rely on empirical evidence. Others, like Gauss, would have it quite the contrary, that mathematics is queen, mother, grandmother and dotty Auntie Mildred who has way too many cats of the sciences. I suspect we won't solve it satisfactorily here. :pac:

I thought mathematics was considered a branch of logic because of those non emperical qualities. It underpins science instead of being a science itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

If it was a real science, it would be open to opposing views like those of Jordan Peterson and engage with them...but instead he is cancelled and shouted down by the folks who declare sociology is a real science

Ficheall wrote: »
    Like astrology?

Often confused with bolloxology.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Often confused with bolloxology.

Another branch of codology?

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

It's a social science, based on surveys and observations. Is it in the same league as astrophysics. No.

Social sciences are to science as the Women's Mini Marathon is to Marathon running. Some superficial similarities but essentially very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I thought mathematics was considered a branch of logic because of those non emperical qualities. It underpins science instead of being a science itself.

Yes, I think that's what Gauss was coming at.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

What percentage of sociology graduates in the past few years in America are trump voter's ?

Be amazed if its higher than 5%

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    If it was a real science, it would be open to opposing views like those of Jordan Peterson and engage with them...but instead he is cancelled and shouted down by the folks who declare sociology is a real science

Cancelled? He's probably the most famous academic in the world.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 140 ✭✭gailforecast

Arghus wrote: »

I’d say famous and infamous are 2 very different things. He was definitely a target of cancel culture, whether that was successful or not, depends on what you define as cancelled I guess.

His name was certainly dragged through the mud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

And that's what makes it a science? What's your understanding of a real science then?

A science is a systematic enterprise that organises and advances knowledge via testable explanations and predictions.

Mathematics is certainly a science. I can’t imagine how anyone would say otherwise. It’s the most sciency of all the sciences. Sociology may be, depending on how rigorously it employs testable explanations and predictions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭spring lane jack

Its absolute waffle that goes off in tangents. I currently study it and my god its complete garbage. The Chicago School sociology is extremely good and very interesting so is Marx, Weber, Stuart Hall etc but the rest of it it just a bunch of sociologists writing about other sociologists work and patting each other on the back. My son is an Astrophysicist, now that is science, most Sociology is just made up as they go along not saying there is not great people teaching or doing Sociology work but the reality is that most of it is absolute garbage and shouldn't even be a separate subject in University. Its a subject that bluffers can use to act like they are experts by using lots of words nobody in real life uses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Arghus wrote: »

His had many events cancelled, due to pressure for folks who disagree with him...

I will say i disagree with a lot of what he says, but agree with some, so i'm no fan boy...

But if you want a field to be deemed a science you need to defend your position, but not by shutting down points of view that contravene your position...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Political science

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Its absolute waffle that goes off in tangents. I currently study it and my god its complete garbage. The Chicago School sociology is extremely good and very interesting so is Marx, Weber, Stuart Hall etc but the rest of it it just a bunch of sociologists writing about other sociologists work and patting each other on the back. My son is an Astrophysicist, now that is science, most Sociology is just made up as they go along not saying there is not great people teaching or doing Sociology work but the reality is that most of it is absolute garbage and shouldn't even be a separate subject in University. Its a subject that bluffers can use to act like they are experts by using lots of words nobody in real life uses.

Phenomenology.

Is the Chicago School similar to the Law version? Basically the enrichment of the largest number. That's a fúcking scary philosophy when you think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,354 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

It's an 'ology'.
    Which in some people's minds =science

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

My background is in the Natural Sciences, so I have a bit of difficulty in accepting Sociology as a science. That isn't to say that I think it is a fools errand, but that it is more geared towards subjective truths based upon different social structures... the sciences that ai have studied are about empirical evidence.

Sociology can raise some interesting ideas and theories, but it doesn't have the same application.

I can apply the knowledge that soil is the coming together of the four spheres (Aerosphere, Biosphere, Hydrosphere, and Lithosphere) globally to understand how, when, and why soil is formed. Any sociology finding is going to be very unique to that area.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 140 ✭✭gailforecast

My background is in the Natural Sciences, so I have a bit of difficulty in accepting Sociology as a science. That isn't to say that I think it is a fools errand, but that it is more geared towards subjective truths based upon different social structures... the sciences that ai have studied are about empirical evidence.

Sociology can raise some interesting ideas and theories, but it doesn't have the same application.

I can apply the knowledge that soil is the coming together of the four spheres (Aerosphere, Biosphere, Hydrosphere, and Lithosphere) globally to understand how, when, and why soil is formed. Any sociology finding is going to be very unique to that area.

Likewise. I’m not in anyway, shape or form trying to denigrate the subject, however I’d consider it more akin to let’s say critical theory in literature, than an actual science.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

KaneToad wrote: »
    There is a league of sciences?
    What is top of these rankings?

Physics is the big daddy of science.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

KaneToad wrote: »
    There is a league of sciences?
    What is top of these rankings?

purity.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

A science is a systematic enterprise that organises and advances knowledge via testable explanations and predictions.

Mathematics is certainly a science. I can’t imagine how anyone would say otherwise. It’s the most sciency of all the sciences. Sociology may be, depending on how rigorously it employs testable explanations and predictions.

Mathematics isn't about being testable the same way a 'real' science is, it's about the mathematical proof. You can do lots of correct mathematics without any recourse to observation of the natural world

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭F5500

Bolloxology.

Mathematics isn't about being testable the same way a 'real' science is, it's about the mathematical proof. You can do lots of correct mathematics without any recourse to observation of the natural world
    This post doesn't make any sense.

I think what you're saying is that mathematics is an abstract science? But you're wrong if you're suggesting that maths operates independently/ apart from the natural sciences. Fundamentally, all mathematical problems represent dilemmas in the natural world.

Also not sure what you're referring to by the somewhat teleological term "correct mathematics".

There has been some major misunderstanding in the way maths has been taught. People might be vaguely familiar with quadratic equations and differential calculus but will assume these to be theoretical concepts with no real world relevance. Somewhere along the line, there has been a major failure to communicate.

It's a bit like sociology. Of course it's a real science. In fact, some of the most important sociologists alive today are distinguished mathematicians (Alain Badiou, set theory. also a philosopher)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Look, it depends on what you mean by "science".

"Science" comes from the Latin scientia, which just means "knowledge" or "the things that are known". And this gives rise to a very wide concept of "science", in which the word can refer to any organised, systemised field of study. This was the orginal sense of the word in English. In this sense, almost anything could be (and frequently was) called a science - music, mathematics, logic, rhetoric, theology, philosophy, astronomy, geometry, ethics - anything. What made something a "science" was not its subject matter, but the degree of system and organisation you put into studying it.

In time there grew up a broad distinction between the sciences on the one hand and the arts on the other. A science was something you pursued by reflecting, observing, theorising, classifying, describing; an art was something you pursued by practice, engagement, activity. But this wasn't an entirely satisfactory division; there was a large overlap. Music theory was a science, but music performance an art; studying the grammar of a language was a science but studying the literature of the same language was an art; etc. And learning to do something, including something quite technological, was an art. So even an expert clockmaker, for example, was an artisan; the design of clockwork, no matter how much mathematics and measurement was involved, was an art, not a science. An apothecary making and administering drugs, or a surgeon dressing a wound, was not a scientist, however learned either of them might be. The application of knowledge to do something useful, whether or not the knowledge was scientifically-derived, was not a science; it was an art.

So, in time, thinking about science became further refined again; it wasn't just a matter of reflecting, theorising, describing, etc, but of using a particular formal method do do so; the "scientific method". The scientific method involves (a) making empirical observations; (b) forming hypotheses to explain those observations; (c) making predictions based on those hypotheses; and (d) designing and implementing experiments which will test those hypotheses, the outcome of which will either refute or tend to confirm the correctness of the hypothesis. In this scheme of things, technological fields of study (like pharmacy, medicine or engineering) can be sciences if pursued through the scientific method.

This gives rise to a sense of "science" in which the stereotypical sciences are things like physics, chemistry and biology.

Then you have the social sciences which deal with human behaviour - sociology, economics, pyschology, etc. These are seen as less "sciencey" because (a) it is usually not posssible to make empirical observations with the same degree of precision as is possible in physics or chemistry, and (b) it is difficult for a variety of reasons (some of them ethical) to design and implement experiments which will test the hypotheses you form. Obviously these are fields in which you can pursue your studies with more or less reliance on the scientific method, but the main point is that the scientific method is less useful in these fields than it is in physics, chemistry, etc; it delivers less certain results.

And then you have fields that study abstract or imaginary concepts - logic, mathematics, ethics - which (in this scheme of things) cannot be considered science at all, because it's simply impossible to make emperical observations of non-empirical entities, or to devise and implement experiments on them. Thus whatever mathematicians are doing, it's not science.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

This post doesn't make any sense.

I think what you're saying is that mathematics is an abstract science? But you're wrong if you're suggesting that maths operates independently/ apart from the natural sciences. Fundamentally, all mathematical problems represent dilemmas in the natural world.

Also not sure what you're referring to by the somewhat teleological term "correct mathematics".

It does.

No not wrong, with maths I can set up a space with any number of dimensions that I choose, I can choose different different types of geometry etc. None of this needs to have anything to do with the natural world and it's all still valid. It's not a science, but a tool scientists can use to make some predictions from a particular set of conditions which can be observed or tested.. but it doesn't have to, maths is totally fine without doing that either.

Correct as in not wrong, logically consistent. A follows B within the logic I'm using. There is no need for it to be tested the way a science is

• Registered Users Posts: 12,361 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Depends if you are using qualitative or quantitative research.

Plus what about subjects like legal science, is that a science.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

mariaalice wrote: »
    Plus what about subjects like legal science, is that a science.
    It's a social science, in that it studies how people behave in the real world, it hypothesises about why they behave like that, and then it tests the hypothesis by trying to alter real-world conditions (specifically, laws and the policies or actions of government) in a way that will lead them to behave differently.

And, at a higher level, it tries to devise and maintain a consistent and coherent mechanism for doing this regularly and effectively.

It's a practical application of the scientific method.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,361 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Peregrinus wrote: »
    It's a social science, in that it studies how people behave in the real world, it hypothesises about why they behave like that, and then it tests the hypothesis by trying to alter real-world conditions (specifically, laws and the policies or actions of government) in a way that will lead them to behave differently.

And, at a higher level, it tries to devise and maintain a consistent and coherent mechanism for doing this regularly and effectively.

well then how to account for the likes of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronald_Dworkin or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Rawls

Both highly influence in ideas around using the law to achieve social justice.

Legal studies is open to multiple interpretations like all social science.

Plus how do you define fairness?

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Political science

Great song!

• Advertisement

Peregrinus wrote: »

The problem with the real world is that you can't isolate all the initial conditions. Or even most of them. You can try, but only at at the expense of overpowering tyranny.

Let's say that an initiative to combat violence at sports grounds was undertaken recently after numerous studies of historic data, focus groups, data analysis, complex modelling of various parameters using computationally intensive mathematics that would require a hefty computer to process, findings calculated, new hypotheses to test all set and ready to run in say May this year and then.......Covid lockdown!!!!

Who could have predicted that?

All of a sudden we have to prepare for other examples of antisocial behaviour/crowd control which is likely to emerge as the year inches on with lockdown restrictions still in place and young people getting highly frustrated.

All previous models highly suspect because initial conditions are utterly changed.

A social scientist will ALWAYS have to explain tomorrow why the predictions they made yesterday didn't come true today.

Advertisement