Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Butchers Carlow town

• 29-06-2020 9:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi all, I’m looking for a good quality butchers in Carlow Town - would be grateful if people could share their favourites. Preferably smaller quality butchers rather than large factory shops.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

O'Neills in Graiguecullen are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

O'Neills in Graiguecullen are great.

Second that
    They've always got a pretty good selection and have their own herd. So if there's something you want that they don't have there and then they can get it for you as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭patrickc

I was using Boscos for a long time, but one day I got chicken fillets and they weren't Irish, that's a no for me, they could sell them now but didn't then. I have been going to O' Neills since and as above I couldn't fault them.

patrickc wrote: »
    I was using Boscos for a long time, but one day I got chicken fillets and they weren't Irish, that's a no for me, they could sell them now but didn't then. I have been going to O' Neills since and as above I couldn't fault them.

Most butchers sell both imported and Irish chicken fillets. The imported ones are cheaper and apparently popular with body builders (or so I'm told)

I've no issue with a butcher selling what people want to buy as long as it's clear which products are Irish and which ones aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Isthisthingon?

Not to get too much off topic but there are only 3 large scale chicken processing plants in the country, the vast majority of the primals ( fillets, drumsticks, thighs etc) are snapped up by the retailers - tesco, lidl,aldi, SVaule etc, or the meat processing plants that supply the retailers. The average irish butcher is priced out and/ or are way down the pecking order. The imported chicken is approx half the cost of the irish chicken and in many cases has come from the other side of the world.

I'm not casting any aspersions on any butcher but the vast majority of the fresh fillets they source are dutch and polish.

Many source frozen fillets from thailand/ brazil and the ukraine which is of course all above board and labelled correctly (or at least should be) except perhaps not advertised in a manner that jumps out at you.

My point being is that if it says its irish, double check the label/ notice board. You might be lucky but if it is irish you'll know because you will sure as hell pay for it (or you are getting a bargain).

And in case anyone is wondering, I worked in the meat processing industry for 20 years. Out of it now so i don't have any skin in any race.

• Advertisement

If you're able to buy larger quantities:
    https://ringsfarm.ie/

in Kilkenny do organic chickens

• Registered Users Posts: 48 elle.en

Thanks all, will try ONeills

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Be well and win

Raths isn't bad either

Another one to consider, though a big pricier, is Coolanowle Food Hall

Advertisement