Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Areas to avoid in Athlone while buying

Options
  • 20-05-2020 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hello All,

We are looking to buy properties in Athlone.Any pointers on the areas to avoid while buying is highly appreciated . Could you also please let us know how is the Cartontroy heights area ? Is it safe for families ?

Thankyou .

Comments

I've never been in Cartrontroy Heights in my life, but 30 seconds on Google tells me it's a good area. It's a cul de sac, so no through-traffic, meaning theoretically you shouldn't have anyone in there that doesn't live there. All detached houses, and google suggests the houses are going for over 300k in that area, so you're likely to have owners that actually respect them, in them.

Nightclub next door could be a tad noisy at certain times, though.

Again, never been there before in my life, but I'd personally look at it as a nice area, from my Google Maps tour of the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 silverfox2020

Thankyou. Yes the houses and area looks nice in maps. Since it is close to the college was wondering will it be ok to buy . Also we are not Irish and I am not sure whether will that be a problem in that area ( we have never faced any such issues in Athlone till now but had heard some stories about Beechpark )

Thanks again.

Thankyou. Yes the houses and area looks nice in maps. Since it is close to the college was wondering will it be ok to buy . Also we are not Irish and I am not sure whether will that be a problem in that area ( we have never faced any such issues in Athlone till now but had heard some stories about Beechpark )

Thanks again.

Ewww... a foreigner... :o

:pac:
    (Just joking, incase it's not obvious)

Look, the reality is there's always going to be someone making a derogatory comment or smart remark, but they're usually either mindless teenagers who will never have a fully functioning brain, or the older pensioners who might not actually care whether you're a foreigner or not, but will just be so used to using terminology and wording that's 'outdated' that they'll come across as massive racists unintentionally.

No matter where you go there's bound to be at least one neighbour that won't like you for some reason or another.

But I'm sure that 96.74% of people are grand and won't pass any remarks. I have never been to Athlone's college, but Ireland, in general, has a lot more foreigners coming and going than before, so I'd assume many of the students would be black/muslim/asian etc. Most people just get on with their own lives and don't pass any remarks.

I wouldn't let it be a deciding factor on where you live. Just don't go for the typical council estate or place with lots of anti-social behaviour. They might not care that you're foreign, but they may pick on you just because 'you're not from here' and because they've little else to do. Doesn't look like it would be a problem in Cartrontroy Heights, though.

Thankyou

No bother. Hopefully someone will be along shortly that can reply to you, who actually lives there and knows the area properly. :)

Best of luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I've never lived in that estate specifically, but I know the area and have been in a house there. The houses themselves are really nice. I'd buy a house there in the morning. I can't imagine not being Irish would pose any problems for you there.

I'll PM you regarding areas to avoid as I've had a post censored by a mod before for the same thing.

I've never lived in that estate specifically, but I know the area and have been in a house there. The houses themselves are really nice. I'd buy a house there in the morning. I can't imagine not being Irish would pose any problems for you there.

I'll PM you regarding areas to avoid as I've had a post censored by a mod before for the same thing.

Thankyou. It has been helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Re: Cartontroy Heights.... well the proximity to the college can be a problem, especially with the pub/club nearby. Not the students so much, but there's a blue-collar training centre also nearby, some of the attendees who come down on advice of solicitor at time of sentencing.

Houses do look decent at the same time. Depending on pricepoint, there may be value there.

Like the other poster, I'll probably suffer censorship for this above post, but I feel that it needs saying. Forewarned is forearmed. I would PM but others may benefit from seeing it too

Re: Cartontroy Heights.... well the proximity to the college can be a problem, especially with the pub/club nearby. Not the students so much, but there's a blue-collar training centre also nearby, some of the attendees who come down on advice of solicitor at time of sentencing.

Houses do look decent at the same time. Depending on pricepoint, there may be value there.

Like the other poster, I'll probably suffer censorship for this above post, but I feel that it needs saying. Forewarned is forearmed. I would PM but others may benefit from seeing it too

Thankyou so much. This information has been very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I would always Google "placename" "court" "charge" to see if you have any major criminals in your midst...

In your instance it would appear that a fraudster psychic is your only worry.

• Advertisement
Advertisement