Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CCTV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

alta stare wrote: »
    When you create an account with them you will see the prices for the other stuff. They will supply you. I actually have an account with them myself.

The cheaper cabling is not great. I know as i tried it before on a short run. Id stay away from it to be honest.

Thanks did that and seen some extra kit

Sent them a quick email via thei site looking for options with the EZ Dahua 4ch NVR and they came back with this kit to recommend
    https://www.freetv.ie/cctv-recorder/

Comes with cabling, 4x cameras (2.8mm lens)

I checked their site on these cameras and they are not sold separately, as I only need 2 to start me up & running, I dont need the kit plus the cabling could be too short

In terms of the camera lens, do you think then 2.8mm lens would be ok as I'm looking fairly closely at the subjects with the 2 front cameras?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Thanks did that and seen some extra kit

Sent them a quick email via thei site looking for options with the EZ Dahua 4ch NVR and they came back with this kit to recommend
    https://www.freetv.ie/cctv-recorder/

Comes with cabling, 4x cameras (2.8mm lens)

I checked their site on these cameras and they are not sold separately, as I only need 2 to start me up & running, I dont need the kit plus the cabling could be too short

In terms of the camera lens, do you think then 2.8mm lens would be ok as I'm looking fairly closely at the subjects with the 2 front cameras?

You should be able to buy the cameras separately. The kits are never really great imo as they usually supply crap cable.

If you can afford get higher MP than you should. 2 is good but this day and age 4-6-8 are the norm.

2.8mm is fine if you want to just overlook a general view ie your garden or front/back of your property. If you are looking for a more detailed tighter look than get a 3.6/4mm lens. This however will not have the same viewing angle as say the 2.8mm lens. It is down to what exactly you want to be looking at.

Edit:

Iv just had a quick look and would happily go with the following, 2 x 2.8mm turret 4mp ip cameras, 1 x box cat5 305mtrs, 1 x 4 way ip poe recorder. Comes in at around 463. Nothing wrong with that to be fair. Yes you would get better systems but you would pay more. There is nothing wrong with that kind of set up for a domestic setting. If you wanted to have a tighter shot than as i said go with a 3.6/4mm lens.

Edit:

Iv just had a quick look and would happily go with the following, 2 x 2.8mm turret 4mp ip cameras, 1 x box cat5 305mtrs, 1 x 4 way ip poe recorder. Comes in at around 463. Nothing wrong with that to be fair. Yes you would get better systems but you would pay more. There is nothing wrong with that kind of set up for a domestic setting. If you wanted to have a tighter shot than as i said go with a 3.6/4mm lens.

will have a look at those options tomorrow

I had a look around their site earlier and dont think they stock a 4MP 4mm lens camera

will have a look at those options tomorrow

I had a look around their site earlier and dont think they stock a 4MP 4mm lens camera

They might have a 3.6mm one. I will log in and have a look myself and see if i can see one. They might even get one for you if you ask them.

They might have a 3.6mm one. I will log in and have a look myself and see if i can see one. They might even get one for you if you ask them.

Asked them about a 3.6mm one and they dont have one

Suggested the one with the motorised lens
    https://www.freetv.ie/dome-network-camera/

€50 more than the 2.8mm fixed lens :eek:

I like the idea as it will allow me to zoom in to the exact area where the cars are parked and I can place it in the apex of the roof

I could probably pick one up through amazon from about €90

• Advertisement

I like the idea as it will allow me to zoom in to the exact area where the cars are parked and I can place it in the apex of the roof

Oh right. Did you ask them to source one for you?

The motorised ones are handy alright.

Ah yeah if you can get them cheaper elsewhere then why not. They are pricey though so will you find one elsewhere for much less?

Oh right. Did you ask them to source one for you?

The motorised ones are handy alright.

Ah yeah if you can get them cheaper elsewhere then why not. They are pricey though so will you find one elsewhere for much less?

they only offered the motorized one

are the junction boxes needed for mounting on a soffit?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,380 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Unless you like looking at the tops of people's heads, don't waste your time installing at the apex of the roof. It's simply too high and you'll be wasting the zoom capability.
    I would suggest no higher than the 1st floor window sill.

they only offered the motorized one

are the junction boxes needed for mounting on a soffit?

No you wont need a junction box if mounting on the soffit. Drill a minimum 22mm hole so you can easily get the connection in and remember to put on the gland.

Unless you like looking at the tops of people's heads, don't waste your time installing at the apex of the roof. It's simply too high and you'll be wasting the zoom capability.
    I would suggest no higher than the 1st floor window sill.

the plan is to have 2 cameras at the front, one to the left side as you look at the house from the street (driveway side) at approx 7ft off the ground looking across the front door and into garden but wont capture the cars or anyone coming into the drive

the one in the apex would be from the right side as you look at house, up higher and would capture the full drive and entrance into driveway

As there is a canopy that runs across the full width of the house, the higher mounted camera, even if I put it at 1st floor sill, wouldnt capture the front door or any front windows as the canopy obscures the view, which is why I am going considering the apex position

I've opted to just keep it at 2.8mm lens for both and see how it starts

• Advertisement

No you wont need a junction box if mounting on the soffit. Drill a minimum 22mm hole so you can easily get the connection in and remember to put on the gland.

I take it the camera mounting plate is just screwed into the soffit with 3 screws?

would I need a specific screw for this?

I have a box of self tapping plasterboard screws that might do?

I take it the camera mounting plate is just screwed into the soffit with 3 screws?

would I need a specific screw for this?

I have a box of self tapping plasterboard screws that might do?

Yeah they screw straight onto the soffit. Iv used normal wood screws (4x40s) or self tapping window screws. Once you get a bite through the two layers of plastic it will hold.

The motorised camera will be heavier so you may have to ensure you get a solid fixing.

stuff has just arrived, cameras look good quality and light
    must play around with them first with NVR

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭PaulT21

stuff has just arrived, cameras look good quality and light
    must play around with them first with NVR

Would you mind sharing the setup that you eventually settled on please? Cheers:)

PaulT21 wrote: »
    Would you mind sharing the setup that you eventually settled on please? Cheers:)

No problem

I plugged in the nvr today and set it up with the 2 cameras

Plan is to get the lower one mounted tomorrow with hopefully the cable run, depending on the winds getting up the ladder

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Kingkong

I went Unifi at the start, great overall setup. Its about 500 euro for the NVR, 1 Camera, Wifi Hub and Gateway and about 100 euro per camera afters but this is an amazing enterprise grade wifi solution with an equaling great CCTV solution rolled into one. Its the Sonos solution for proconsumers in this space. Check out https://unifi-protect.ui.com/ & https://www.ui.com/unifi/unifi-ap/. I found https://www.eurodk.com/ best site to pick them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Kingkong wrote: »
    I went Unifi at the start, great overall setup. Its about 500 euro for the NVR, 1 Camera, Wifi Hub and Gateway and about 100 euro per camera afters but this is an amazing enterprise grade wifi solution with an equaling great CCTV solution rolled into one. Its the Sonos solution for proconsumers in this space. Check out https://unifi-protect.ui.com/ & https://www.ui.com/unifi/unifi-ap/. I found https://www.eurodk.com/ best site to pick them up.

Can I ask which camera(s) you went for?

Just wondering can I use a different manufacturer camera instead of Dahua to connect to the Dahua NVR?

Looking for a few different options with a narrower field of view than the 2.8mm dahua I have

Just wondering can I use a different manufacturer camera instead of Dahua to connect to the Dahua NVR?

Looking for a few different options with a narrower field of view than the 2.8mm dahua I have

What NVR did you get? If it is a hybrid you can.

What NVR did you get? If it is a hybrid you can.

EZ by Dahua™ 4 Way NVR (6MP w/ 4x PoE)

• Advertisement

EZ by Dahua™ 4 Way NVR (6MP w/ 4x PoE)

Ah yes you went IP. Yeah you can use another brand on it. You want a camera that can use ONVIF.

Can you not get a Dahua one? I know you said freetv don't have them but have you tried anywhere else? cctvireland might have what you are looking for.

Ah yes you went IP. Yeah you can use another brand on it. You want a camera that can use ONVIF.

Can you not get a Dahua one? I know you said freetv don't have them but have you tried anywhere else? cctvireland might have what you are looking for.

couldnt find one, freetv have a 4MP Dome Network Camera (40m IR, Motorised 2.8-12mm Lens) for €128

Reolink seem to be only compatible with their own NVR's

The 2.8mm 4MP camera was €78 so an extra 50 for the motorized feature
    If I could get something for similar price as the fixed 2.8mm with a narrower fov I'd be happy enough

couldnt find one, freetv have a 4MP Dome Network Camera (40m IR, Motorised 2.8-12mm Lens) for €128

Reolink seem to be only compatible with their own NVR's

The 2.8mm 4MP camera was €78 so an extra 50 for the motorized feature
    If I could get something for similar price as the fixed 2.8mm with a narrower fov I'd be happy enough

Try ccrvireland. Im sure Paul would have something.

Try ccrvireland. Im sure Paul would have something.

I had a good look around that site, to be honest the motorized one from freetv seems the best opetion and for price from what I can find out there

I had a good look around that site, to be honest the motorized one from freetv seems the best opetion and for price from what I can find out there

The motorised are good to be fair. Very handy to have aswell. Gives plenty of scope for adjusting the field of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Just a heads up, both Hikvision and Dahua have been prohibited from ONVIF, happened a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,380 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

kub wrote: »
    Just a heads up, both Hikvision and Dahua have been prohibited from ONVIF, happened a few weeks ago.

Announced last October as part of trumps antichina agenda.
    Technically, onvif is just a set of open source standards so you can't really be prohibited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Announced last October as part of trumps antichina agenda.
    Technically, onvif is just a set of open source standards so you can't really be prohibited.

Agreed. Every manufacturer uses its own modification of the onvif standard, onvif is not a uniform standard

kub wrote: »

Installed a Dahua system Thursday with ONVIF still a selectable protocol.

• Advertisement

just out of curiosity, is there a limit on the length of cable from NVR to camera?

I ran a cable from the NVR to a camera, probably 18m in length, plugged in the camera and wouldnt respond or get picked up

I made the cable and connectors up myself so I was doubting them

Took a known good 2m cable and hooked up directly the cam to the NVR and it worked so cam was good

So I was doubting the cable and/or connections
    Cut both connectors off, belled then out and tested for opens & shorts with my meter, all good

Did same with cable and all good so now thinking is my cable too long? or do I nee to leave longer for the camera to be picked up?

Advertisement