Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,442 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Wouldn't be surprised to see the odd thundery shower breaking out this evening over Ulster/northern half of Leinster.

A beautiful and very warm day day in Dublin. Not so much as a hint of a sea breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,059 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Looks like a very heavy/thundery shower around the Lurgan area.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Gonzo wrote: »
    back up to 24C here at Dunshaughlin, must be fairly close to 25C, if we could get a decent spell of sunshine in the next hour we might do it.

Saw 25.6c here earlier in Rathkenny, garden is roasting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Still 25 degrees at Phoenix park and casement at 5pm. 24 at Dublin airport

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Much breezier now from the northwest and temperatures dropping back a bit from around 25°c to 22.2°c presently. More cloud about too.

• Advertisement

Hate to say it but I could barely stick the heat in the garden today . I am only a few miles from the sea too so it was unusually hot for this part of the East coast. Even the cats were desperately trying to find shade in the garden, then gave up and went into the house.

Cloudy since about 4pm but I'm ok with that , still warm and heading for my 3rd swim since beginning of weekend.
    It was great to have it but its only 2nd June - only the beginning of Summer - we have lots of good days ahead to come. It already feels like mid-Summer because we've had such a prolonged spell of great weather since early April!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Danno wrote: »
    Much breezier now from the northwest and temperatures dropping back a bit from around 25°c to 22.2°c presently. More cloud about too.

Fascinating
    Still a sea breeze here in Arklow
    No change to NW at at all ,sun poked through throughout and still is a bit
    Currently 18.1c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭snowgal

Still very very warm near Trim. Mix of sun and cloud. When the sun is out though it’s the warmest day here in a long time. I’m enjoying every last minute before the change!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Felt very pleasant today in Cork City.
    We didn't see highs of 27/28 as forecasted.

I think 23 or 24,but low humidity and a nice breeze made for a lovely summer's day.

It felt far more oppressive to me last Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,975 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Severe drop off in temperature this last few hours up here in North Donegal.

You can feel the rain in the air too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

Mostly cloudy here today, warm no near as warm as yesterday.
    Had a big black sky brew up and and thought we might get a downpour, didn't rain a drop.
    IMG-20200602-182856.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

It’s over
    It was a great summer

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Not as warm today around Tralee but still really nice getting up to 21.4C.

Cooling down considerably now to 16.1C. Will be glad of a good night sleep tonight, house was over 25C last night and not a puff of air, had to put a fan on after 04.00.

temp_uk_jpi1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Still 24.7c here in D14, mainly overcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,876 ✭✭✭pauldry

13.1c in Sligo now

Bye heat

Still feels very warm here in Dublin 5. Feels like an evening when you are sitting out on holidays in the Med. So balmy

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

still 22C here in Meath, hanging onto the last hour of warmth by our fingertips, will be much cooler within the next hour or two. After 3 months of relatively mild and sometimes warm conditions, it's a bit sad to see it go! Hopefully we can resume some lovely summer weather towards the final week of June.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

Still feels very warm here in Dublin 5. Feels like an evening when you are sitting out on holidays in the Med. So balmy

Yeah lovely balmy evening in Dublin but quite cloudy now. Hopefully we will get another warm/hot spell during the summer because as we know, this kind of weather is not guaranteed in Ireland.

I would like the highest temperature in Ireland record broken. It may not happen this year but it’s probably only a matter of time before it is.

Yes all time record could go in next few years. The fact that 32 was hit just two years ago shows it’s very possible. Would be great to see 34 or 35.

Ireland and UK have never reached 40. 38 the all time record in UK.

Although let’s be honest 40 is horrible
    esposito wrote: »
    Yeah lovely balmy evening in Dublin but quite cloudy now. Hopefully we will get another warm/hot spell during the summer because as we know, this kind of weather is not guaranteed in Ireland.

I would like the highest temperature in Ireland record broken. It may not happen this year but it’s probably only a matter of time before it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

Yes all time record could go in next few years. The fact that 32 was hit just two years ago shows it’s very possible. Would be great to see 34 or 35.

Ireland and UK have never reached 40. 38 the all time record in UK.

Although let’s be honest 40 is horrible

40 would be bearable once the humidity is low.

34-35 here would be great. Really hope it happens in the next year or two.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

esposito wrote: »

I've been wishing this for year's and i'd like it to happen soon. As we saw in 2018 we had perfect conditions but it is very difficult for most parts of the country to reach 30C or more. Certainly southern and eastern areas would be very difficult to reach or break the record as the majority of hot spells have easterly breezes of some sort.

I think what we would need to break the record would be a hot spell similar to June 2018 but have it in the middle of August, where we would have a better chance of getting a degree or two higher when sea temperatures are approaching their warmest and the continent to be very hot indeed. If we're going to break the all time temperature record I would like to see 34.0C being reached so we can be sure our ancient record is well and truly broken in modern times.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,730 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Gonzo wrote: »
    still 22C here in Meath, hanging onto the last hour of warmth by our fingertips, will be much cooler within the next hour or two. After 3 months of relatively mild and sometimes warm conditions, it's a bit sad to see it go! Hopefully we can resume some lovely summer weather towards the final week of June.

final week of june??? is june a write off then?
    there's a high of 9c for Dublin on Saturday, unbelievable, you get warmer Christmas days often!
    Been great weather but I wish it could just rain for a day or two and then remain pleasant.

final week of june??? is june a write off then?
    there's a high of 9c for Dublin on Saturday, unbelievable, you get warmer Christmas days often!
    Been great weather but I wish it could just rain for a day or two and then remain pleasant.

No June is not a write off but it is beginning to look fairly unsettled at times and anything settled is well out in the extended range of FI. Next week is still a bit up in the air, we will be locked into this cold northerly between tomorrow and Monday but after that we may start drawing winds in from the east again which would lift the temperatures back up but we could have instability to deal with and there is the potential for thundery showers mid month if we can drag decent warmth from the continent combined with showers. The final 10 days of June are so far ahead anything can happen between now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

Looking at the radar theres showers overhead but only had a few drops fall, seems like its evaporating before it hits the ground.

Could do with rain here. https://m.facebook.com/132068447710/posts/10157454046927711/?d=n

Today's max temperatures. Many places saw their warmest day of the year so far, possibly even warmer than any day last year too. Most parts of Leinster, Munster and the midlands reached at least 24C today with many areas seeing 25C.

txint_uk.png

the cooler air has already arrived across most of the north-western half of the country. Still some warm stretching from Cork to Dundalk with low 20's, parts of Dublin still 23C but this really is the last of it for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Change is well in here in Kildare now. Skies darkening with winds picking up.
    A respectable high of 25.9°c here today

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Increasingly dull evening , down to 14.3C now here near Tralee

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Increasingly dull evening , down to 14.3C now here near Tralee

I'm down to 12.4 . Was 21.7 today.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

pad199207 wrote: »
    Skies darkening with winds picking up.

Ditto in Dublin 16 but still 22.1c atm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

18.5°c in South Laois now - cooler air filtering in and bhoy is it freezing in that NW breeze when compared to the 25.3°c recorded just around 4pm

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement