Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus and the effect on Public transport

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Used them 3 times last week, two trips neither driver had there protective shield up, one resting elbow and the other completely down.

Then generally we have unions saying staff wont handle cash and social distancing needs to be enforced and plenty staff not observing such social distancing there union keeps banging on about.

You do realise that induvidual views differ and not everyone has the same view as their trade union. The cash handling issue refers more so to Bus Eireann than Dublin Bus. Unless of course they're referring to the de safer grade as well the driver grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

GT89 wrote: »
    You do realise that induvidual views differ and not everyone has the same view as their trade union. The cash handling issue refers more so to Bus Eireann than Dublin Bus. Unless of course they're referring to the de safer grade as well the driver grade.

Yes of course however DB should make it mandatory for drivers to have it fully closed in light of current conditions. Personally I have no problem with it up or down.

Yes of course however DB should make it mandatory for drivers to have it fully closed in light of current conditions. Personally I have no problem with it up or down.

I think it may already be mandatory just it's one of those rules that's not enforced. If a driver got attacked and the and the assault screen was down then they probably wouldn't be entitled to assault pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

It IS mandatory to have the screen up, but some drivers don't care about their own safety and then will complain about being assaulted or spat on :rolleyes:

It IS mandatory to have the screen up, but some drivers don't care about their own safety and then will complain about being assaulted or spat on :rolleyes:

If its mandatory then not using it should be dealt with through a disciplinary process in the exact same way that refusal to use PPE in any other industry would be, i.e. Person represents a safety risk to themselves and others.

• Advertisement

DaCor wrote: »
    If its mandatory then not using it should be dealt with through a disciplinary process in the exact same way that refusal to use PPE in any other industry would be, i.e. Person represents a safety risk to themselves and others.

Not nessecarily though I worked in a place where high vis was mandatory in a certain area of the premises still 90% of people did not comply with this instruction. What effect does it have on you whether they use it or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

devnull wrote: »
    Why are drivers using the centre doors all the time according to you, whereas they were not before because apparently they were unsafe at bus stops? Have all of the bus stops been redesigned recently or has there been a change in tact from Dublin Bus or the insurance companies about accidents involving them?

The problem is that when you spend approx half a decade not using the doors very often, and frequently making passengers miss their stops, people simply get used to them not opening so become trained in the habit of ignoring them. That is a habit that was allowed to develop in Dublin and is something that has been created by all those who didn't use them for a long time.

Tourists don't have a problem using a middle door, neither does any other country has this problem. Why? Because they've not been intentionally or otherwise, trained to ignore them by the lack of them opening for years on end. I myself just don't trust them to open and I've learnt it the hard way, believe me.

Hard to have much sympathy for drivers on this one I'm afraid, it's a prime example of something which has happened in the past coming back to bite them on the chin.

If a stop isn't suitable I will not use the centre doors.
    Also if it's at say a parked car or just say to exposed as can't get bus in close enough due to parked vehicles or terrible design where bus is at near a 45° angle then I won't use.

Was just stating it how it is at the moment and I believe everyone is using the screens fully too....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Used them 3 times last week, two trips neither driver had there protective shield up, one resting elbow and the other completely down.

Then generally we have unions saying staff wont handle cash and social distancing needs to be enforced and plenty staff not observing such social distancing there union keeps banging on about.

The 'Union' thing does appear to figure quite large in some interpretations of many issues relating to CIE.

However,in this case it matters not a jot.

Union membership is made up of Individuals,who remain free to follow,or ignore the recommendations of their unions.

Everybody is now having to come up close and personal with decision making,and for quite a few that is proving to be a significant challenge.

The less 'banging-on' about Trades Unions 'banging-on' will allow most people to move their own thought processes a wee bit further along in our attempts to cope with the unknown ?

Wash your hands - keep your distance - avoid coughing & sneezing directly towards others.

The THREE items,so far proven to have the greatest effect on Virus spread,and yet totally out of Trades Union or Company control.

Perspective can sometimes be useful...

There are a LOT of Human Beings alive on this planet...

https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/

There are a LOT more humans being born,than are dying,particularly from Covid-19.

Some might view the above as 'good' news so just for perspective we also need to take a peep at the 'bad' news too.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#news

In the meantime,irrespective of what you see other people doing/not doing,make sure that YOU 'Wash your hands - Keep your distance - Dont cough/sneeze directly at others'

Keep-Safe out there. :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

If a stop isn't suitable I will not use the centre doors.
    Also if it's at say a parked car or just say to exposed as can't get bus in close enough due to parked vehicles or terrible design where bus is at near a 45° angle then I won't use.

Was just stating it how it is at the moment and I believe everyone is using the screens fully too....

Whats wrong with opening it away from the curb?

How did people get by before the low floor buses came about?

I personally dont give a hoot if I cant get the bus in and the middle door is open. I just want them out fast.
    If an individual decides to fall out instead of stepping out, its not our fault. Its theirs. Has happened to me more than once, never heard anything about it.

I was told by the company to always use the middle door though.

Whats wrong with opening it away from the curb?

How did people get by before the low floor buses came about?

I personally dont give a hoot if I cant get the bus in and the middle door is open. I just want them out fast.
    If an individual decides to fall out instead of stepping out, its not our fault. Its theirs. Has happened to me more than once, never heard anything about it.

I was told by the company to always use the middle door though.

I take it you haven't been upstairs for passengers being hit by cyclists while getting off or tripping or walking into a pole on the street.....

If I can't get the bus in safely and to cut out any possibility of anyone coming up the inside then centre door stays shut.

• Advertisement

I have no reason to make it up. Number 1 bus this evening stopped at traffic lights and again it was fully down. The other two cases were both 41s.
    The 'Union' thing does appear to figure quite large in some interpretations of many issues relating to CIE.

However,in this case it matters not a jot.

Union membership is made up of Individuals,who remain free to follow,or ignore the recommendations of their unions.

Everybody is now having to come up close and personal with decision making,and for quite a few that is proving to be a significant challenge.

The less 'banging-on' about Trades Unions 'banging-on' will allow most people to move their own thought processes a wee bit further along in our attempts to cope with the unknown ?

Of course those can ignore the union directions however if one of those contract the virus they will come running to the union again. DB should remind drivers they must be fully closed because it will be DB who get the blame.

Will it stop the virus, probably not but it might help.

As for the rest of your post, no need to preach to me about the virus. I generally take the same view.

_____
    I told a passenger on a train yesterday to stop spaying Dettol.

I have no reason to make it up. Number 1 bus this evening stopped at traffic lights and again it was fully down. The other two cases were both 41s.

Not only DB though saw a GAI bus earlier and the driver had the screen down
    Of course those can ignore the union directions however if one of those contract the virus they will come running to the union again. DB should remind drivers they must be fully closed because it will be DB who get the blame.

How could it be proven that someone contracted an illness from their work. Ok maybe a coal miner could prove it but I have never heard of anyone suing their employer because they contracted a contagious disease like the flu from being around colleagues and customers. It would be very hard to prove.

I take it you haven't been upstairs for passengers being hit by cyclists while getting off or tripping or walking into a pole on the street.....

If I can't get the bus in safely and to cut out any possibility of anyone coming up the inside then centre door stays shut.

Different drivers appear to take different approaches. I find the vast majority of drivers use them nowadays at most stops. I've seen one driver who politely informed passengers that he was only opening the front door as the stop was blocked by other buses but used them at every other stop.

Some drivers use them religously at every single stop regardless if anyone was getting off or not I've even seen one driver who used them to let passengers off at a location which was not a designated stop. I think though that was because it was a large group of teenagers whom he wanted off the bus asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Some people on twitter are saying that Irish Rail have cut capacity on trains due to "supply chain issues" :rolleyes: making social distancing impossible. There are pictures of parts of the train not properly cleaned. Many healthcare workers have to travel by train and some chemo patients as well. Shame on Irish Rail :mad:. I thought HSE said they had to keep capacity due to the need for social distancing. What are "supply chain issues" anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,853 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Shame on Twitter geebags more likely by the sounds of it. Any confirmation that the posts are true?

They have stopped intercity catering alright. The catering company they were contracting was suffering from commercial issues before all this began.

Stark wrote: »
    Shame on Twitter geebags more likely by the sounds of it. Any confirmation that the posts are true?

They have stopped intercity catering alright. The catering company they were contracting was suffering from commercial issues before all this began.

No its true mostly DART capacity has been cut and rightly so.
    Some people on twitter are saying that Irish Rail have cut capacity on trains due to "supply chain issues" making social distancing impossible. There are pictures of parts of the train not properly cleaned. Many healthcare workers have to travel by train and some chemo patients as well. Shame on Irish Rail . I thought HSE said they had to keep capacity due to the need for social distancing. What are "supply chain issues" anyway?

Intercity capacity not cut. Hardly anyone is using the train anymore. Less than 30 on two recent 5 car trains.
    How could it be proven that someone contracted an illness from their work. Ok maybe a coal miner could prove it but I have never heard of anyone suing their employer because they contracted a contagious disease like the flu from being around colleagues and customers. It would be very hard to prove.

Not about proving but not giving unions the opportunity to claim companies are putting staff at risk and threating to suspend services.

Not about proving but not giving unions the opportunity to claim companies are putting staff at risk and threating to suspend services.

I'd say it would be more likely the unions would use this to say look at how we bailed the company out at this time next time there's a dispute. The NBRU were using it to have a pop rightly or wrongly at private bus companies who pulled services.

I'd say it would be more likely the unions would use this to say look at how we bailed the company out at this time next time there's a dispute. The NBRU were using it to have a pop rightly or wrongly at private bus companies who pulled services.

Yes they quickly changed from suspending public transport to focusing on private operators if you follow them on social media.

However, they have no comeback if you point out the unlimited financing which private operators don't have. Expressway is only hanging on because I suspect NTA will help BE out. Neither BE or NTA can allow Expressway to stop right now. If it was private it would be axed right now.

An FOI might be in order later in the year...

Yes they quickly changed from suspending public transport to focusing on private operators if you follow them on social media.

However, they have no comeback if you point out the unlimited financing which private operators don't have. Expressway is only hanging on because I suspect NTA will help BE out. Neither BE or NTA can allow Expressway to stop right now. If it was private it would be axed right now.

An FOI might be in order later in the year...

Honestly though this is showing the strategic importance of publically owned essential public transport services. The services the private operators are providing are mostly for non essential travel. For the most part essential workers are not relying on JJ Kavanagh or GoBus to get to work but they may be relying on the DART or the 16.

It's not just the CIE companies providing these services it's also Go-Ahead, Transdev and even to some extent the likes of Local Link

Honestly though this is showing the strategic importance of publically owned essential public transport services. The services the private operators are providing are mostly for non essential travel. For the most part essential workers are not relying on JJ Kavanagh or GoBus to get to work but they may be relying on the DART or the 16.

It's not just the CIE companies providing these services it's also Go-Ahead, Transdev and even to some extent the likes of Local Link

Again like CIE, all these operators are not losing money. Luas carrying 0 or 30,000 passengers, Transdev are not losing money as they are given a set fee to run trams not fill them.

Aircaoch, DublinCoach JJ etc don't have this financial security.

Yes I agree the passenger mix would be different however there is no strategic importance to having a public or private operator in charge provided NTA is paying them to run a service.

• Advertisement

Again like CIE, all these operators are not losing money. Luas carrying 0 or 30,000 passengers, Transdev are not losing money as they are given a set fee to run trams not fill them.

Aircaoch, DublinCoach JJ etc don't have this financial security.

Yes I agree the passenger mix would be different however there is no strategic importance to having a public or private operator in charge provided NTA is paying them to run a service.

It's not about financial security or commercial viability though it's about providing a socially nessecary public service in times of both austerity and prosperity.

I don't mind myself whether the operator is public operating on a net cost like DB or private operating on a gross cost basis like GAI as long as the service is of high quality. But it needs to be publically owned and funded as it is at present.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

And Dublin Bus have cancelled Nitelink, the various DoDublin Tours/Ghostbus tours and severely reduced the Airlink service.

This is clearly not a public versus private thing. It is essential services versus non essential services.

Also CIE is operated in the same way as a private company, they absolutely can run out of money and go bankrupt. The only way they can continue to operate, is if behind the scenes, the government has agreed to finance them to continue to run. Which BTW I fully support, just as I fully support the government fully financing Luas/Transdev and GoAhead too.

The government has to identify what services are actually essential during these times and finance their continued running, no matter what company operates them.

bk wrote: »
    And Dublin Bus have cancelled Nitelink, the various DoDublin Tours/Ghostbus tours and severely reduced the Airlink service.

This is clearly not a public versus private thing. It is essential services versus non essential services.

Also CIE is operated in the same way as a private company, they absolutely can run out of money and go bankrupt. The only way they can continue to operate, is if behind the scenes, the government has agreed to finance them to continue to run. Which BTW I fully support, just as I fully support the government fully financing Luas/Transdev and GoAhead too.

The government has to identify what services are actually essential during these times and finance their continued running, no matter what company operates them.

Yes Dublin Bus have cancelled there commercial routes.

CIE can run out of money but no Government would ever allow that to happen and yes I fully support financing them if the case is needed for such services but the wider point was private operators don't have that support and a reason why they have cut services. They would still be going if Government say yes we will support you to operate x services.

So essential services operating makes no difference if public or private once the NTA is covering the costs...
    It's not about financial security or commercial viability though it's about providing a socially nessecary public service in times of both austerity and prosperity.

I don't mind myself whether the operator is public operating on a net cost like DB or private operating on a gross cost basis like GAI as long as the service is of high quality. But it needs to be publically owned and funded as it is at present.

Funded yes, publicly own makes no difference. Once the financial risk is removed it doesn't matter who run services. Private operators would gladly run such services if funded to do so during a time when demand has dropped.

As indicated we will hear how CIE saved the day in the coming months when yes they did in theory by continuing to operate but reality is they only did it because they were funded to do so unlike other operators.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Intercity capacity not cut. Hardly anyone is using the train anymore. Less than 30 on two recent 5 car trains.

Irish Rail seem to have restored the trains to full service now thank goodness. Even if there are fewer than 30 on a 5 car train that's approximately 6 passengers per car which is in line with social distancing guidelines.

Most of the time before this all happened trains were travelling at well over capacity with people standing in the spaces between carriages and in the aisles as well.

Emme wrote: »
    Irish Rail seem to have restored the trains to full service now thank goodness. Even if there are fewer than 30 on a 5 car train that's approximately 6 passengers per car which is in line with social distancing guidelines.

Most of the time before this all happened trains were travelling at well over capacity with people standing in the spaces between carriages and in the aisles as well.

I take back my earlier point, certain IC capacity has been cut and wasn't restored today.

Irrespective of social distancing there is no need to run such levels of capacity however they should also take a sensible approach to cuts. IE should also use this period for carry out some extra maintenance on the fleet.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yes Dublin Bus have cancelled there commercial routes.

Exactly, that is my point. DB have cancelled these services because passenger numbers and thus revenue have fallen off a cliff and have made a sensible commercial decision to halt these unnecessary services until things improve. Just like other commercial operators have done and no different to them.

One interesting thought. I wonder will the government extract a cost for subsidising the CIE companies in this manner?

Will they force the CIE companies into a gross cost basis type contract like Transdev/GAI have, instead of the net cost type contract they currently have.

After all, if ticket fares have fallen off a cliff and the government have to pump lots of money into CIE, then it is basically a gross cost type contract anyway, so they might as well make that official.

bk wrote: »
    Exactly, that is my point. DB have cancelled these services because passenger numbers and thus revenue have fallen off a cliff and have made a sensible commercial decision to halt these unnecessary services until things improve. Just like other commercial operators have done and no different to them.

One interesting thought. I wonder will the government extract a cost for subsidising the CIE companies in this manner?

Will they force the CIE companies into a gross cost basis type contract like Transdev/GAI have, instead of the net cost type contract they currently have.

After all, if ticket fares have fallen off a cliff and the government have to pump lots of money into CIE, then it is basically a gross cost type contract anyway, so they might as well make that official.

The EU are relaxing the rules around state subsidies due to this. The thing about the likes of Airlink and Tours is DB can redeploy the drivers from these services to regular PSO routes. GAI don't have that luxury.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,385 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Are spv drivers entitled to the covid payment from welfare . Taxi driver with compromised immune system can't be operating under current issues.

Anyone know

Aircoach is pulling all services.

db will most likely be running a Saturday service from Monday....

People need to give others space and stop walking on top of each other.

If you are standing looking at the bus coming, get your card or money out as to spend less time in front of the driver....

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    Are spv drivers entitled to the covid payment from welfare . Taxi driver with compromised immune system can't be operating under current issues.

Anyone know

Yes if doctor signs them off.

Advertisement