Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre purchase property survey

• 05-12-2019 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭

Hello All,

Can anyone recommend me a company who can complete a pre purchase property survey at a reasonable price?

Ideally I would be looking for a type 2 inspection. I'm based in Dundalk.

I got a quote of 738 which seems a bit on the high side.

Any advice from past experience would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Dingaan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭mada999

Can't recommend a company but i ended up getting one done and it looked like a 12 year old created it. It was very poor, incorrect spellings, missing text etc. I had them to ask them to go and do the boundary survey as they never did it.

If I was going to do the process again, i would go to a few of them and ask them to see previous reports etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

I used someplace on Seatown Place not sure if they are still there or the name of the place. No idea how much it cost I would ring up a few places and ask for a quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

mada999 wrote: »
    Can't recommend a company but i ended up getting one done and it looked like a 12 year old created it. It was very poor, incorrect spellings, missing text etc. I had them to ask them to go and do the boundary survey as they never did it.

If I was going to do the process again, i would go to a few of them and ask them to see previous reports etc.

Agree with this. I paid 250 Euros 8 years ago for one of them.
    What an absolute waste of time. Gob****e missed sooo many items.
    One of the most obvious being no insulation in the attic.
    His idiotic report highlighted a fence post in the back garden not being straight.
    What a waste of time and money.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭darklighter

Not sure what a "Type 2" survey is but the guy who did my survey before signing contracts on my house did a good job and was cheap enough....I can PM ya his name if ya want

• Registered Users Posts: 21 cilim75

Not sure what a "Type 2" survey is but the guy who did my survey before signing contracts on my house did a good job and was cheap enough....I can PM ya his name if ya want

could you PM me his name and contact details please

• Advertisement

Do I remember some 'rule of thumb', where you're supposed to give 5% of the budget to the architect, half of that amount to the QS, or if it's a second-hand house, half again to the engineer?

1.25% of purchase price sounds a bit dear to me, but I wish I'd done it when I bought my blace instead of getting the back-kitchen underpinned... no foundations!

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Summer2020

Got one done by a guy who was recommended here to me, not sure if he’d travel to Dundalk but I’d highly recommend him. Extremely thorough report (30+ page) and found some things which saved me a lot of money. Think he was around €350

• Registered Users Posts: 21 cilim75

Summer2020 wrote: »
    Got one done by a guy who was recommended here to me, not sure if he’d travel to Dundalk but I’d highly recommend him. Extremely thorough report (30+ page) and found some things which saved me a lot of money. Think he was around €350
    Is your guy from Dublin? If yes, could you pm me his details please

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Summer2020

cilim75 wrote: »
    Is your guy from Dublin? If yes, could you pm me his details please

Done

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Summer2020 wrote: »
    Done

Could i get his details also please.

• Advertisement
Advertisement