Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

893bet wrote: »

Bummer long time gone, I would say there is some sentimental value here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭893bet

Zero feedback buyers need not apply!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

That's awful but not surprising. It's definitely something that's come to mind over the years on Adverts.

I don't trust the feedback system on Adverts one bit either - you can see how A previous 'contributer' here (among others) generate feedback with fast sales of a few quid before deleting the ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,418 ✭✭✭✭banie01

No joy seeing the Avenger as they had none in stock.
    Couple of Navitimers but not really catching me.

I'm trying hard to see past Fitzgeme's suggestion on what I could buy if I double my budget now tbh ;)

Migh swing for the Tudor GMT as the start of that collection, or hold off until I have enough cash to drop on a black faced explorer 2 and build from there.

Tis a good thing the mortgage is paid off I suppose :P

The Tudor is a savage watch...but a word of warning if its the explorer you want dont wast time and money on anything else. Sometimes people want the Rolex because it is a Rolex. I know its a bit off to be so brand focused, but there is something about it we have all been brainwashed into.

I know of a very tasty Oyster perpetual, grey sunburst dial 39mm blue markers for sale in great condition less than 4k.

• Advertisement

The Tudor is a savage watch...but a word of warning if its the explorer you want dont wast time and money on anything else. Sometimes people want the Rolex because it is a Rolex. I know its a bit off to be so brand focused, but there is something about it we have all been brainwashed into.

I know of a very tasty Oyster perpetual, grey sunburst dial 39mm blue markers for sale in great condition less than 4k.

When I took the notion that I wanted a GMT and started looking it was the Tudor that originally caught my eye.
    After a little more research, the Explorer 2 42mm stood out more for me especially in black.

I think it may be a case of leave the cash build up a little and go all in on that 1st.

As a treat for our G-Shock loving member ;)
    Came across this display in Bourgas a while ago.
    485264.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

My 2c:
    Breightling Avenger - Nice watch, but the bezel is very Aztec looking and with the silver wings on the dial somehow for me seems cheap (I think thats invictas fault). This watch is a depreciation bomb, Get at least 20% off if buying retail.

Tudor GMT - good choice, new inhouse is nice if your into that sort of thing. Some desirability, and good construction. I find it difficult to seperate Tudor from Rolex on quality, only issue is Tudor does not have the branding. There are two on adverts at the moment. Once chap in Cork has a 2018 Pepsi one on a bracelet for 3400 asking, looks in good condition. There is another on at 4 grand. For me at around 3200 thats a decent purchase but you will loose a little money on resale.

Omega Planet Ocean 600m GMT : Fine watch, interesting movement, nice display back. Problem I have is this is a VERY big watch. My business partner has one and I see it all the time. He is 6 foot and medium build and its ok on his write, I am 5'9'' and stocky, but I have a thick wrist at 18cm and it looks like a clown watch on me. Its the height of the thing. Another depreciation bomb so buy used. 3750 on adverts 2009 model (half price).

Explorer 2 - only value in Rolex sports at the moment. I know a good 40mm for sale white dial (4400 euro) , and there is a 42 on adverts too (6000 euro). Both fomr reliable sellers, PM me for info. Nice watch, however these are the "dogs" of the rolex range if such a beautiful thing can be a dog. I prefer the black dial version.

If I was in your position I think I would go for the tudor with my heart, but the Rolex with my head. I made an offer on the tudor oin adverts but the chap was not willing to budge even an inch. Doesnt matter about VAT if you buy new you will loose money, if you budget is not endless use the used market to get the most you can for your euros.

I've had my eye on the newer 42mm Explorer II on Adverts for a while, I'm between that and an Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra. Mind me asking where the 40mm Explorer is for sale?

I've had my eye on the newer 42mm Explorer II on Adverts for a while, I'm between that and an Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra. Mind me asking where the 40mm Explorer is for sale?

Its gone now sorry had not looked in a few days.

https://www.adverts.ie/casual/rolex-explorer-ll-16570/18318249

So that's me signed up to Chrono24 and TZ-UK now...
    Now I'm hoping this works kinda like the Simpsons!
    Insofar as...

1st I get Deeee money!
    Den I get Deeee watches!

Of course if my wife finds out, she may well kill me!
    But sure then, there'll be a watch or 2 to pay for the funeral at least :pac:

banie01 wrote: »
    So that's me signed up to Chrono24 and TZ-UK now...
    Now I'm hoping this works kinda like the Simpsons!
    Insofar as...

1st I get Deeee money!
    Den I get Deeee watches!

Of course if my wife finds out, she may well kill me!
    But sure then, there'll be a watch or 2 to pay for the funeral at least :pac:

Mark this day 14/0719 this was the day a decision was made that went on the ruin you life. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

How Is Dubai for watch prices? Same? Cheaper? More expensive?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Howdy folks, I am now the proud new owner of a Omega Seamaster 300. Question for you all, what is the winder for at 10 position for?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭emo72

Howdy folks, I am now the proud new owner of a Omega Seamaster 300. Question for you all, what is the winder for at 10 position for?

Helium escape valve. To release it when you go deep sea diving.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

M should of briefed you on that James.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Its a manual helium release valve. It's a feature for compression divers, who spend periods in a pressure chamber breathing oxygen/helium mix, so they can work at greater depths, where oxygen alone becomes poisonous, without dying.

Helium can seap into a watch, and cause the crystal to pop out when the diver is going through decompression. Many watches have an automatic helium valve, but the the one on the seamaster 300 is a manual one that has to be manually unscrewed when decompressing.

Unless you're a saturation diver, I'd leave it closed as the watch is only waterproof to 50m when it's open, and could be easy to forget to close.

Chances are 99.99% of people Will never make use of the valve, but it's still there because watch folk love gadgets and being prepared for they day they will be at extreme depths under water!

funkyouup wrote: »

Haha! Yes the irony wasn't lost on me, I got it as a gift. Just love it, it is my first watch bar the odd casio as a young lad. I want to supplement it with a De ville if I can in the mid future.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Really it's to charge extra money so people can pretend they dive.

Don't take any notice of me, I'm just jealous, enjoy the watch

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Given the love of diving watches around here..does anyone actually dive? I’ve been once or twice and hated it 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Time wrote: »
    Given the love of diving watches around here..does anyone actually dive? I’ve been once or twice and hated it 😂
    I went swimming once.
    But I took off my diver before going into the water, ya know, just in case ðŸ˜

I went once years ago, wasn't a fan at the time. I'm moving to Oman in a months time and it is supposed to be one of the best places on Earth to dive. I've no excuse now!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I saw Jaws at a formative age, so no. All I know about the ocean is when you look down into it a thousand eyes are looking up at you from the inky endless blackness wondering if you're edible. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Mostly muffs...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Mostly muffs...

I did the PADI open water licence in Borneo, wearing my TAG Heuer Formula 1 Professional Chrono. Two years later, I did the advanced open water licence in Dahab wearing the same watch.

The resin bezel is particularly good at depth, as it still gives a smooth action without being loose.

Apart from a few pleasure dives since, that's as much as I've done.

My SKX009 has only ever been a meter or two below the surface of a French lake.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,175 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

funkyouup wrote: »

Q surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

Wibbs wrote: »
    I saw Jaws at a formative age, so no.

Bet you loved that Alsta Nautoscaph though!

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Marcusm wrote: »
    Q surely?

I was hoping we could gloss over that:pac:

Given the love of diving watches around here..does anyone actually dive? I’ve been once or twice and hated it ��

Yep, happy to say I do :)
    Its a lot less now than it used to be when I lived abroad.
    Irish water being a bit cold, old age and my impending falling apart :pac:
    Have all lessened my opportunity to dive over the last few years and its become more of a holiday event for me now, all my own scuba gear has been sold over the years.

I do like a diver, particulary on a NATO or similar.
    I've only owned 2 actual divers, both Citizen.
    One was a JP1060, that was a 21st bday present after I'd taken up diving, that was stolen :mad: .
    The other is a Titanium JP3050 that still sees service on my wrist at least on a regular basis ;)

Was in the Crescent in Limerick today and noticed that Fields are carrying a range of second hand watches with instant finance available.
    Seems to be mainly Tags, with a Nomos and a diamond set Gucci in the window.
    Grabbed a quick pic but no time to browse.

]

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭893bet

banie01 wrote: »
    Was in the Crescent in Limerick today and noticed that Fields are carrying a range of second hand watches with instant finance available.
    Seems to be mainly Tags, with a Nomos and a diamond set Gucci in the window.
    Grabbed a quick pic but no time to browse.

We prob passed each other.

I didn’t look in the window their though!

• Advertisement

893bet wrote: »
    We prob passed each other.

I didn’t look in the window their though!

I was the grumpy lad being dragged around perfume shops by the wife ;)
    I was so sick of smelling eau de blergh!!!
    I snuck away to get a break and the watches caught my eye.

A very large proportion of Tags tho!

Advertisement