Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017/18 Off Season Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭spud06

CC Sabathia close to a deal with the Angels

Mets are shopping Harvey

Pirates are shopping McCutchen

Angels making big noise

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Yankees send 3B Chase Headley and Reliever Bryan Mitchell to the Padres

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭boccy23

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/940395993299849217

Jeter is determined to put his own stamp on this team!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

boccy23 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/940395993299849217

Jeter is determined to put his own stamp on this team!!!

And be the only person making any money!

Seriously though, his investment is $25m and he’s paying himself $5m a year, he’ll have broken even in 5 years. Not a bad plan when you think about it.

A lot of people in Miami (and across baseball in general) giving out that his group shouldn’t have been allowed buy the team if they couldn’t afford to keep it competitive.

• Advertisement

I see Machado wants to move to SS before he enters free agency

Will they're be many takers?

Going back to the World Series, I found this fascinating.

"According to a Houston player, the Astros often knew what Darvish was about to throw by the way he brought the ball into his glove in the set position. (Darvish pitches exclusively out of the stretch.) The player said it worked like this: Darvish holds the ball at his side when he gets the sign from the catcher. Whether he re-grips or not as he brings the ball into his glove was the tip-off whether he was going to throw a slider/cutter or a fastball"

If true, it's amazing how something so small could have such a big impact.

BREAKING NEWS

Angels Shohei Ohtani has a 1st degree sprain of right UCL (throwing elbow) and more damage could result in Tommy John surgery

BREAKING NEWS

Angels Shohei Ohtani has a 1st degree sprain of right UCL (throwing elbow) and more damage could result in Tommy John surgery

That’s amazing. Was this found in the Angels’ medical or did they miss it?

That’s amazing. Was this found in the Angels’ medical or did they miss it?

It didn't show up according to one report and I read that it did on another

SI reported that he got a plasma injection in his elbow in October as a preventative measure but he should be able to continue with a an elbow care program but this has to be a massive massive worry

• Advertisement

It didn't show up according to one report and I read that it did on another

SI reported that he got a plasma injection in his elbow in October as a preventative measure but he should be able to continue with a an elbow care program but this has to be a massive massive worry

$20m posting fee plus the $3m or so signing bonus/salary probably not a lot for a team like the Yankees or Dodgers but I’d say it’ll hurt the Angels. How many years is he signed for?

$20m posting fee plus the $3m or so signing bonus/salary probably not a lot for a team like the Yankees or Dodgers but I’d say it’ll hurt the Angels. How many years is he signed for?

Ripped this from an article Jack

"Ohtani will likely be paid right around the minimum of $545,000 for the next two seasons and then will be eligible for arbitration in 2020"

And also what do they do with Albert? Pay him to stay home....

At least it’s arbitration and not free agency. If he misses a year and was going to be gone in 3 years, it would be a big loss but if he’s signed for 6-7 or whatever, it’s not too bad in the long term.

He’s still young. Still a shame if it is a serious injury. Hopefully it isn’t as he’s the thing I’m looking forward to seeing most next season

At least it’s arbitration and not free agency. If he misses a year and was going to be gone in 3 years, it would be a big loss but if he’s signed for 6-7 or whatever, it’s not too bad in the long term.

He’s still young. Still a shame if it is a serious injury. Hopefully it isn’t as he’s the thing I’m looking forward to seeing most next season

Kinda makes his decision to go to the US strange though. He could have waited 2 years and then had the big long term deal with the security against injury. Now he might have far less money on offer in 2 years time.

boccy23 wrote: »
    Kinda makes his decision to go to the US strange though. He could have waited 2 years and then had the big long term deal with the security against injury. Now he might have far less money on offer in 2 years time.

But if the injury was there and he had to have TJ and miss18 months, would he have gotten a big deal in 2 years?

Hopefully it’s not serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 tonorio84

J.D. Martinez meeting with the Red Sox. Think they might push hard for him and Hosmer after the Yankees got Stanton and have positioned themselves for a run at Machado too.

Michael Pineda to the Twins... 2yr deal

Michael Pineda to the Twins... 2yr deal

Really only a deal for 2019 as he’s out with TJ for most of 2018 isn’t he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Really only a deal for 2019 as he’s out with TJ for most of 2018 isn’t he?

Talk he will be towards the end of next season but yeah, it's basically 10 million for one year. Nice work if you can get it

• Advertisement

Reds are shopping Billy Hamilton. Would be a great addition if he can keep up the improvements he made at the plate last season.

Mets sign RHP Anthony Swarzak on a 2yr deal for $14 million (physical pending)

Mets sign RHP Anthony Swarzak on a 2yr deal for $14 million (physical pending)

Don't know enough about him to know whether I should be happy or sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,907 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Seems serviceable enough, 32 years old, throws hard. Came cheap, primary Mets criteria.

https://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/anthony-swarzak-mets-1.15439242

Sad when the Phillies got 2 guys the Mets supposedly were after. So this is kind of a plan B guy.

Still none of the big holes filled - 2b, 1b, OF and the big dropoff in power numbers. Stories out there about the likes of Billy Hamilton being available, somehow I thought he was like 100 years old. Marcel Ozuna traded to StL from Marlins, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

He's a solid relief pitcher. Won't set the world on fire. But not the worst signing.

Cardinals acquire Slugger Marcel Ozuna from the Marlins

Angels acquire 2B Ian Kinsler from the Detroit Tigers

Oakland A's acquire OF Stephen Piscotty from the from the Cardinals for 2 minor leaguers

Nationals in agreement with free agent Reliever Brandon Kintzler on a 2yr deal (pending physical)

Astros sign P Joe Smith on a 2yr deal

• Advertisement

Last day today. Any big trades or surprises do you reckon? Or will we have to wait until January for the next set of moves?

Advertisement