Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin 15 is going to get a lot more congested.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I spent so many years on long bus journeys especially from D.15 that I despise buses now. Soul destroying.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭vegetables

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/plans-submitted-for-large-mosque-centre-in-blanchardstown-1.3206484?utm_content=sf-man

A Muslim community group has sought planning permission to build what would be one of the largest mosques in Ireland on a site at Blanchardstown in west Dublin.
    Dr Taufiq al-Sattar of the Shuhada Foundation of Ireland is behind the development on the Blanchardstown Road North Corduff, which is expected to cost tens of millions of euro.

The planning application, lodged with Fingal County Council, seeks permission to build a three-storey mosque, a large community centre, and a private primary school on the site of Warrenstown House, a former HSE facility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Right beside the Jehovah Witness hall too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

RasTa wrote: »
    Anybody from D15 should not be driving their cars into the city for work.

Nah, you don't get to speak for everyone! When I lived in D15 I drove. It helps that I have free parking in my job. Driving, for me, is far quicker than walking to get a bus and then walking from that bus on to work. I start at 8am though so I miss the brunt of the traffic. I used to leave at 7:05 on the dot and have lots of time to take a shower and get sorted before my shift. If I left even 10 minutes later, I'd be scraping making it in.
    January wrote: »
    Right beside the Jehovah Witness hall too.

I used to go there as a boy! I remember helping to build it!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭vegetables

So Corduff will be getting the call to prayer 5 times a days starting at dawn or round about 6am.

lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Id say that speaker will last about 0.24 milliseconds.

Its worth nothing that Fingal Co Co have already reviewed the plans and recommended changes which has led to this design, so itll probably be granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

vegetables wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/plans-submitted-for-large-mosque-centre-in-blanchardstown-1.3206484?utm_content=sf-man

A Muslim community group has sought planning permission to build what would be one of the largest mosques in Ireland on a site at Blanchardstown in west Dublin.

Details of the planning permission can be found by searching fingalcoco (http://www.fingal.ie/planning-and-buildings/apply-or-search-for-a-planning-application/search-planning-applications-online/searchplanningapplicationsonline/) for planning reference FW16A/0134.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

vegetables wrote: »
    So Corduff will be getting the call to prayer 5 times a days starting at dawn or round about 6am.

lol.

I would imagine that it will be the same as other mosques in Dublin where the planning permission is granted only on the basis that the call to prayer is not broadcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭1123heavy

It is about time a proper mosque was built to cater to the very large muslim community in the area. As it goes, we are all crammed into a tiny room above a butcher's shop on coolmine industrial estate. There is also the option of Dr. Taufique in Corduff but unfortunately that didn't go as planned, it was "his" from the start and whilst he has a lot of respect and sympathy within the community (for both his profession and the tragic loss of his family) it is not suitable. The layout inside is simply a house with numerous rooms, the logistics of it are very awkward and it's like being in the north pole there in the winter with poor heating capabilities. Overall, it is not the ideal environment we would like our children to be in.

One thing we hope does not happen is some sort of a backlash, or the "they're taking over" rhetoric that is heard so often these days. There will be no calls to prayer 5 times a day and anyone who thinks that we as a community are attempting to cause mischief or anything else negative, I can guarantee you that your fears are misplaced. As a community I think we are well engaged with our surroundings at least, our kids are getting along fine in the schools, of which I was one, our faith leaders regularly communicate with local TD's, we're on the parent's committees of local schools, many of us work in the centre etc etc. Blanch is very important to us too and a successful project will be one whereby all are welcome to come and visit, regardless of faith.

Funding is still a major issue regardless. It has been mentioned in the article that there are attempts to try and secure funding from some Gulf governments and private institutions however it is a hell of a lot easier said than done. Even then, one can already envisage the cries of "Saudi Wahabbi funded mosque comes to Blanch" etc. We are trying to raise as much as possible between us as a community but it is not going to amount to the sum required, and I read elsewhere that people were angry the government were gonna fund it, I can confirm we are not going to be handed a blank cheque or lorry loads of cash, any funding will likely be due to the school function of the planned proposal and even that is extremely limited.

We shall see how things pan out with the council :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

As someone who has to cross 3 exits of the Allendale roundabout (Ongar end of Distributor Road) walking from Clonsilla train station each evening, I've really noticed how traffic has really increased there in the evenings.  The added new homes in Barnwell and now Hansfield Wood are adding to it no doubt but I can see it only getting worse once the entire Hansfield area is developed.

• Advertisement

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/248037.htm

Demolition of Brady's pub in Castleknock for 4 storey apartment s gets go ahead from An Bord Pleanala

I hope they add seats on the roof of the train for all the new passengers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

beauf wrote: »
    I hope they add seats on the roof of the train for all the new passengers.

It's only 41 apartments.

Delighted this got the go-ahead, it's the absolute textbook location for where apartments should be built, and Brady's is no loss.

I'm also delighted that the objections of local politicians didn't thwart it.

It's only 41 apartments.

Delighted this got the go-ahead, it's the absolute textbook location for where apartments should be built, and Brady's is no loss.

I'm also delighted that the objections of local politicians didn't thwart it.

Why is a textbook location? The over crowded train that is shorter at peak and you struggle to actually get on to. Or the car park that is the M50. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

I get on at Ashtown station everyday for the last 5 years and while its busy I've never been unable to get on so not sure what your on about..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

ongarboy wrote: »
    http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/248037.htm

Demolition of Brady's pub in Castleknock for 4 storey apartment s gets go ahead from An Bord Pleanala
    This looks like good news for Blanchardstown, 41 apartments is a lot for what looked like a small site.

Why is a textbook location? The over crowded train that is shorter at peak and you struggle to actually get on to. Or the car park that is the M50. :)

The location of these apartments is perfect because people living there can walk to the train, or bus stop, have easy access to shops and restaurants and all other amenities.

In short, it's a reasonably desirable place to live, and you have to put apartments in places that people want to live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Brady's was one of the nicer and better pubs in the area in fairness.

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    I get on at Ashtown station everyday for the last 5 years and while its busy I've never been unable to get on so not sure what your on about..

You must have worked up about 6 months of annual leave. Everyday wow impressive.

You can't use the trains on this line for 5 days never mind years at peak and not have seen overcrowding. All the trains at peak times out of town are jammed. While standing jammed together on trains designed for standing is normal. its not normal or safe on a train not designed for standing with no windows, no aircon and no handles. Its like a sauna. I'm lucky to be able to go slightly off peak, but anytime I get on at peak, its abysmal. No wonder people prefer to drive. M50 carpark regardless.
    Capacity crisis
    The rail review also argues that the company is facing a looming capacity crisis with its existing fleet. It says part of the fleet which had been removed on cost grounds following the economic crash and reduction in passenger numbers, had now been re-introduced.
    However, it maintains “this is not sufficient” to deal with potential capacity demands as passenger numbers recover.
    “Already there are a number of inter-city and commuter routes which are approaching or exceeding capacity and new services at Middleton in Cork, the western rail corridor, docklands in Dublin and on the Sligo line has put increased pressure on fleet capacity.”
    It suggests additional rail carriages will need to be bought.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/rail-report-routes-around-country-at-risk-of-closure-1.2840423

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

This looks like good news for Blanchardstown, 41 apartments is a lot for what looked like a small site.

Why would that be good news for Blanchardstown?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

The location of these apartments is perfect because people living there can walk to the train, or bus stop, have easy access to shops and restaurants and all other amenities.

In short, it's a reasonably desirable place to live, and you have to put apartments in places that people want to live.

Is there any word of these going on the market or will they be owned by the developer or a single investor and rented out. If it's the latter it's not really going to be in anyone's interest but the developer / investor.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Just on that location, the big houses built at the Mulhuddart Bridge recently did they ever go up for sale or were they SH?

Why would that be good news for Blanchardstown?

Blanch village needs people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Just on that location, the big houses built at the Mulhuddart Bridge recently did they ever go up for sale or were they SH?

Sold to Fingal and given to people on the council list.

You can't use the trains on this line for 5 days never mind years at peak and not have seen overcrowding. All the trains at peak times out of town are jammed. While standing jammed together on trains designed for standing is normal. its not normal or safe on a train not designed for standing with no windows, no aircon and no handles. Its like a sauna. I'm lucky to be able to go slightly off peak, but anytime I get on at peak, its abysmal. No wonder people prefer to drive. M50 carpark regardless.

]

Take the tube in London at peak and you will realize what real overcrowding is like, sure even the DART at peak is way busy that the Western Commuter.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Take the tube in London at peak and you will realize what real overcrowding is like, sure even the DART at peak is way busy that the Western Commuter.

The tubes, and the DARTs are better designed for standing with wider aisles and fewer seats. They are designed to be crowded, not so the commuter trains serving the D15 stations

Trains often leave people at the station. They can't physically get on the train. I'm not sure how more real than that it can get.

Trains often leave people at the station. They can't physically get on the train. I'm not sure how more real than that it can get.

I agree the Intercity style trains are not suitable for commuter runs but the commuter style trains from M3 or Maynooth have never left anyone behind. I know because I also get the train daily into Docklands for years. Yes it's standing room only by Coolmine but not sardine like! And no, I also don't have years annual leave built up as you well know what commuting daily means! 😉

Then you will know the problem isn't at the outlying stations where people getting on is staggered between stations and times.
    But leaving city center in the evening where everyone gets on at the same place and roughly the time. That's the pinch point.
    Also trains are longer in the morning going into town and shorter out of town in the evening. Something to do with the shortage of rolling stock across the network.

But yeah lets talk about getting on at Maynooth or the M3 or Ashtown in the morning, as if that's the same thing.

• Advertisement

Then you will know the problem isn't at the outlying stations where people getting on is staggered between stations and times.
    But leaving city center in the evening where everyone gets on at the same place and roughly the time. That's the pinch point.
    Also trains are longer in the morning going into town and shorter out of town in the evening. Something to do with the shortage of rolling stock across the network.

But yeah lets talk about getting on at Maynooth or the M3 or Ashtown in the morning, as if that's the same thing.

The trains are nowhere near the type of overcrowding your getting at and they are certainly not leaving people behind on stations, laughable to even suggest that. Adding potential commuters from 41 apartments won't make a jot of difference so give over already

Advertisement