Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Reasons to be positive in Waterford?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 realworld82

i see redlane are closing up in town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

i see redlane are closing up in town

Yeah, they decide to expand the Tramore store or something like that. They had something about it on the Facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭decies

Magnum bloke giving out free rose tesco ardkeen this morning, well thats a positive

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭moose3844

This has to be positive, The city needs it...

Today the Government has announced that Waterford and Limerick City's are to pilot the Living City iniative. The aim of the scheme is offer tax breaks for owners of historic urban buildings to renovate with aim to occupy as living accomadation or for business purposes. This is particularly welcome in Waterford City as there is a huge number of buildings that could benefit from this scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

moose3844 wrote: »
    This has to be positive, The city needs it...

Today the Government has announced that Waterford and Limerick City's are to pilot the Living City iniative. The aim of the scheme is offer tax breaks for owners of historic urban buildings to renovate with aim to occupy as living accomadation or for business purposes. This is particularly welcome in Waterford City as there is a huge number of buildings that could benefit from this scheme.

It could be positive alright, there are an awful lot of houses up on the manor road that im sure have been there a very very long time that are in need of purchase and renovation, theres a few houses accross from Deeveys aswell that i would love to see been renovated they are powerful buildings that need new life, one is the old B+B and the other is just beside it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭dzilla

mike65 wrote: »

So you posted it yesterday, get over yourself

:pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Came across this, mind you not read it all yet

http://www.thejournal.ie/readme/column-a-new-pilot-scheme-could-breathe-in-cities-with-high-unemployment-796187-Feb2013/
    Column: A new pilot scheme could breathe life into cities with high unemployment

The ‘Living Cities’ scheme is all about urban regeneration and the aim is to revitalise retail in Waterford City – and Limerick – through a series of tax incentives, writes Ciara Conway TD.

• Advertisement

:mad: (how many times does this story need reporting?)

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭moose3844

Cabaal wrote: »

Great news for the city Cabaal

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

mike65 wrote: »
    :mad: (how many times does this story need reporting?)

6 times...nah only kidding, its more the TD's column on it rather then the story itself.

Having read it now I think she adds nothing to it as she says nothing meaningful at all in the column.

Cabaal wrote: »
    6 times...nah only kidding, its more the TD's column on it rather then the story itself.

Having read it now I think she adds nothing to it as she says nothing meaningful at all in the column.

How about FESTIVALS i know we have Spraoi and the like but other European Countries have several festivals throughout the year in the likes of Germany and France, Its always seen as a thing to lift public moral but the councils know that it generates money.

So if you had an idea to NAME a FESTIVAL and when it should be and what it should be about what do you think it could be?

Id go with some like CRYSTAL FEST, a nod to waterford history we could have the usual food sellers and maybe some live street music and maybe some glass cutting on the street foam parties World Record attempts and the like, there could be giveaways and so on and so forth,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Motivator

Getting back on track with this thread, what exactly is the story with Genzyme? Are they expanding their complex or just redeveloping existing buildings on site?

Motivator wrote: »
    Getting back on track with this thread, what exactly is the story with Genzyme? Are they expanding their complex or just redeveloping existing buildings on site?

Just investment in current jobs i think theres a bit of renovation goin on too!

Just investment in current jobs i think theres a bit of renovation goin on too!

That's good news alright, it would be a great boost to the city if they are to expand their plant in the near future.

Motivator wrote: »
    That's good news alright, it would be a great boost to the city if they are to expand their plant in the near future.

It is good news, you cant continue your journey if the road ahead hasnt been laid yet!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

Partizan wrote: »
    Receiver appointed to Waterford Manor Court Hotel

http://www.insolvencyjournal.ie/ij_news_more_details/appointment-of-receiver-waterford-manor-hotel-limited[/QUOTE]

This isnt really positive news is it?

• Advertisement

Partizan wrote: »
    Receiver appointed to Waterford Manor Court Hotel

http://www.insolvencyjournal.ie/ij_news_more_details/appointment-of-receiver-waterford-manor-hotel-limited[/QUOTE]

This isnt really positive news is it?

Maybe if the owner treated customers a bit better then he might have had more luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Did Next have two stores in City Square, or were they connected together in that the customer could walk in one door and out the other?

Just wondering if Jane Norman will have the same two entrances.

iseegirls wrote: »
    Did Next have two stores in City Square, or were they connected together in that the customer could walk in one door and out the other?

Just wondering if Jane Norman will have the same two entrances.

No i think they were at other ends of the shopping centre!

Regarding the Manor Court Hotel where is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Regarding the Manor Court Hotel where is that?

Out the old back road to kilmeaden

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Would love to say things are looking up for Waterford but in truth there simply not, we can keep dreaming but it's getting worse.

If your lucky to have a job it's more than likely min wage which in theory is barely worth your while considering how much you get taxed and how much you'd get on the dole and possible additional benefits.

I feel trapped in this county and this country and I hate the place because of this.

Would love to say things are looking up for Waterford but in truth there simply not, we can keep dreaming but it's getting worse.

If your lucky to have a job it's more than likely min wage which in theory is barely worth your while considering how much you get taxed and how much you'd get on the dole and possible additional benefits.

I feel trapped in this county and this country and I hate the place because of this.

I was posting the same not 2 weeks ago, but you have to try and find positives, I would like to leave too but i cant so search for whats good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

Reasons to be positive in Waterford?

I spoke with a friend of mine a couple of weeks ago who went out on the beer just around Christmas. He got in to such a state that he ended up coming out of a pub in a near comatose state. He was in such a mess that his left arm was black and blue the following day and he openly admitted that all he could remember was throwing a few shapes in whatever pub he was in. That state led him to collapse into a state on the street. Now lads, this chap isn't the biggest drinker on the planet. It wasn't until the following day when he checked his phone to see what mischief he got up to that he realised what had actually happened.

Seemingly, he was so bad that some soul in Waterford had seen him collapse into a heap and took his phone to try to help him and phone one of his mates. The girl that took the phone is an absolute saint. I hope ye don't question "what kind of friends" does he have or "how could he get in that state". Sh*it happens, especially when we all have a skin full, ye know yourselves. But the one thing I knew about Waterford and he confirmed? Is that the people here are sound! That girl that took his phone, not only spoke to a friend of his that was living in Dundalk (I know, Dundalk, but even in his drunken state, that was the first name he could think of in his inebriated state), made sure he got home and the only question he had when he spoke to me was who the fook was that girl?, that went out of her way to do such a task?. I have to agree because, I can be a pessimist at the best of times and if that had happened in any other city in the country, it would more or less have ended up with the with the chap ending up with a night in the cells.

Sound!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

I was posting the same not 2 weeks ago, but you have to try and find positives, I would like to leave too but i cant so search for whats good!

im the same i cant leave due to being pretty much broke, taught a min wage job would help get me out of here but its proven not much better than the dole. Id advise anyone against taking a min wage job unless you enjoy it because your just going to be slaving for pennys.

id love to search for whats good but its fairly hard mate:)

im the same i cant leave due to being pretty much broke, taught a min wage job would help get me out of here but its proven not much better than the dole. Id advise anyone against taking a min wage job unless you enjoy it because your just going to be slaving for pennys.

id love to search for whats good but its fairly hard mate:)

Well you have to keep going, I would like to expand much more on the topic of being at home for long periods but i dont like to give away too much personal info on a public board.

Its a slow Death basicly, try keep busy if you do end up at home, did you buy a house, if not i dont see why you cant leave! you know you can take your social welfare with you to a foreign country? Although it is hard to do it is possible, again i dont want to reveal too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

if you have no hope, you have nothing.

There is always a way, just before you jump the ship to the USA, (this is meant to be a positive thread so I cant understand some other poster talking about things closing down) there is hope, you must be able to see the good things happening down in the V.T. There are free retraining options, im sure there are people in worse positions than yourself, if you are posting here, presumably you have a roof over your head, food in your belly and a laptop to look on here.
    If you move to another country, you will miss a lot of the things you have here, not just the blaas, countries such as the US which we all kinda look up to in a way have far worse labour practices, less time off, a bit less personal.

Advertisement