Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Today's bargain watch that I'm not buying

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Here's another of these superslim handwinds:

$(KGrHqUOKiME4q(lI2skBOOYHhl4Cw~~_12.JPG$(KGrHqYOKocE4)eURIS1BOOYHwJIBw~~_12.JPG

for a little over 20 quid http://cgi.ebay.de/Vintage-SEKONDA-LUCH-SLIM-ussr-soviet-russia-23J-GILT-/180705363595?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item2a12e1068b

reason I'm not buying:
    I've already got one in blue and I'm not really a gold watch type of guy

Somebody is cleaning out their old stock of Vostok Europe watches ...among them some funky K3 models in, lets say "bright" colours :D

140.jpg140.jpg140.jpg140.jpg

http://stores.ebay.de/MosWatch2010/_i.html?rt=nc&_sid=997195069&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14&_sop=10&_sc=1

Vostok Europe make good quality watches (I've got one and I really like it) and at 170 quid one of the above could be a funky little "special occasion" watch.

automatic, 41 mm dia, mineral crystal and back, 24h indicator and date and 2 years warranty from this seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Vostok Amphibia (labelled as the komandirskie)

com470b.jpg

com470c.jpg

Love the pilot dial on it, not too many amphibias have them

http://cgi.ebay.ie/VOSTOK-KOMANDIRSKIE-STYLE-SOVIET-WATCH-ANTIMAGNETIC-/110727774302?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item19c7e3c05e#ht_3667wt_1139

While we're on the subject in another thread :D

This:
    484010867_o.jpg
    http://cgi.ebay.de/v186-Soviet-Watch-Molnija-Waffen-SS-B-uhr-W-SS-/300572236626?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item45fb805b52

is of course a total fake ...but it's made of nice-ish components, especially the movement, another Molnija pocket watch movement.
    484010897_tp.jpg484010928_tp.jpg484010958_tp.jpg
    At 56 Euro it might be worth a gamble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Interesting design. If you hadn't said it was soviet id have guessed it was an SS officers watch with the two thunder bolts.

• Advertisement

It's a copy/imitation of the 65 mm Waffen-SS sextant watch from the other thread.

Stalin would rotate in his grave if he new that SS insignia found their way onto a Russian made (faked) watch :D

LOL.

It's. Nice looking face.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

peasant wrote: »
    It's a copy/imitation of the 65 mm Waffen-SS sextant watch from the other thread.

You make my thread sound dirty! :p

Today, something a bit out of the ordinary.

A watch with hand engraved Molnija pocket watch movement in a custom made brass/gilt case.

$(KGrHqUOKnIE4N+OY8n4BOOtvl72(Q~~0_12.JPG
    0_61e03_72070a88_XL
    Invest in a few blued screws and you have an absolute beauty on your hands.

Considering the work that went into it, the 245 Euro asking price is an absolute steal
    http://cgi.ebay.de/Beautiful-Designer-Molnija-Wristwatch-Art-Deco-/150651069317?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item231380e385

Reason I'm not buying:
    It's just sooo not my style
    (plus, somehow it's not quite finished)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Nolimits

It's always dodgy buying a wrist watch with a pocket watch movement, the movement will have little or no shock protection and it's designed to be kept relatively still sitting in a pocket, not for the kind of action it would get on a wrist. For that kind of price I think it's a bit of a gamble, certainly shouldn't be worn regularly.

I really need to get a good reference book on watch movements. What would you guys recommend?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Nolimits wrote: »
    It's always dodgy buying a wrist watch with a pocket watch movement, the movement will have little or no shock protection and it's designed to be kept relatively still sitting in a pocket, not for the kind of action it would get on a wrist.
    Ahh I dunno N. I've a couple of early wristwatches that are all essentially small pocket watch movements with no shock protection and they've lasted 60,70 80 years just fine and never gave me a moments trouble(and I've actually dropped the oldest one to the floor :eek::o). Now it depends on your lifestyle and how that may affect a watch of course. I'd not wear one playing tennis or doing DIY, but they're not that delicate

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

With the Molnija movements you can get the modified 3603 version ...with shock protection (the one without is 3602 ...and even that is known to last for decades)

171411.jpg

and then there is the fact that due to their bigger size and scale, pocket watch movements aren't THAT delicate in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭marcus1971

"Invest in a few blued screws and you have an absolute beauty on your hands."

If you ever wanted to try out making a few blue screws its probably one of the easier mods you can do to a watch with great effect, not much harder than changing a battery. A few sheets of very fine sandpaper, a bottle of alcochol, a heat gun (the ones that look like hairdryers) and a length of copper wire bent into a loop at the end to hold the screw....only takes a few seconds once the screw is prepped and if you F it up all you do is sand, dip and try again

pretty self explanatory:

$(KGrHqEOKi8E03iU,-u!BNdmgP,50w~~_3.JPG

a good home for any spare ETA 2824-2 you might have lying around :D

...or you might want to buy that in their shop as well, while you're at it

http://cgi.ebay.de/SET-SUBMARINER-ETA-2824-CASE-44mm-DIAL-HANDS-ST-BAND-/130519910021?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e6397c685

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭marcus1971

pretty self explanatory:

$(KGrHqEOKi8E03iU,-u!BNdmgP,50w~~_3.JPG

a good home for any spare ETA 2824-2 you might have lying around :D

...or you might want to buy that in their shop as well, while you're at it

http://cgi.ebay.de/SET-SUBMARINER-ETA-2824-CASE-44mm-DIAL-HANDS-ST-BAND-/130519910021?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e6397c685

I've thrown a couple of these together, they actually look pretty good, very solid, easy to make, usually more like 100Euro from actual online stores.....lots of different styles too.
    If you were going make one of these best route would be to go for one of the Chinese DG0000 movements with matching sub hands, usually about a tenth of the price of an ETA.

These JLC Polaris style are awesome for the money,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOITIER-ACIER-CADRAN-STYLE-POLARIS-POUR-MIYOTA-8215-/120569021011?pt=FR_YO_BijouxMontres_Montres&hash=item1c12794253

and all you need to finish it off is a cheap miyota movt and a set of broad arrow hands should be completed for less than 150 Euro and looks like much much more when finished.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I need a hack watch and god am I sooooo tempted. :) NATO strap of course... ;) marcus1971 and peasant you tempters you.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    marcus1971 and peasant you tempters you.

Oyh!
    Not even my wife talks to me like that!

:D

Something Russian again (for a change :D)

The Raketa "Kopernik"

$(KGrHqEOKm4E42n!4djkBOVM-NdRqw~~48_3.JPG

35 mm diameter, handwind, new old stock with papers and "box", 45 quid delivered
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/RARE-USSR-RUSSIAN-WATCH-RAKETA-A178-/160642023433?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item256702c009

This could also make a nice ladies watch (4 months to Christmas :pac:)

alternatively in silver

$(KGrHqIOKo8E4iUW6HUiBOVM9ETtu!~~48_3.JPG

• Advertisement

our friend Leon has a new bargain:

$(KGrHqQOKjgE5VchG8nbBO(z4i5ef!~~60_12.JPG$(KGrHqIOKkQE5T+CGZN9BO(z4ugyYQ~~60_12.JPG

I don't really like skeleton watches ...but at 45 Euro delivered this doesn't look half bad

our friend Leon has a new bargain:

$%28KGrHqQOKjgE5VchG8nbBO%28z4i5ef%21%7E%7E60_12.JPG$%28KGrHqIOKkQE5T+CGZN9BO%28z4ugyYQ%7E%7E60_12.JPG

I don't really like skeleton watches ...but at 45 Euro delivered this doesn't look half bad

Really isn't my cup of tea.... Looks like a del boy watch to be honest

At 45 quid it could be a Rodney Trotter watch and I'd still be interested. Peasant and Wibbs, separated at birth. :D

BX 19 wrote: »
    Looks like a del boy watch to be honest

A lot of Russian domestic market watches are somewhat overly ornamental, to put it politely ...especially the newer (non fake Flieger) stuff.

They likes their bling, so they do :D

something a bit more normal, from the same seller ...also a bargain at 35 quid delivered

slavaeebay.jpg
    New old stock, with box & papers, handy-windy, day-date (in English!) with quick date set pusher
    (and as a bonus you get two mainspring barrels that you can't see :D)

It may not be a bargin but if i were not saving for the Rolex I'd jump on his IWC Pilot Chrono.
    http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=183149

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭Homer

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    It may not be a bargin but if i were not saving for the Rolex I'd jump on his IWC Pilot Chrono.
    http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=183149

Saw that earlier. And if I hadn't just picked up the submariner I would have been all over that!

Wow ...it even comes with a (£ 5.00) NATO strap ...how could you possibly resist ? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Peasant, when your taste turns to golden age (50s-60s imho) Swiss stuff and militaria, my bank balance is going to take an awful pounding if I keep following this thread. I already had a Komandirskie and an Amphibia, so I was well inoculated against the current Russian vibe you have going on. :)

A lot of Russian domestic market watches are somewhat overly ornamental, to put it politely ...especially the newer (non fake Flieger) stuff.

They likes their bling, so they do :D

something a bit more normal, from the same seller ...also a bargain at 35 quid delivered

slavaeebay.jpg
    New old stock, with box & papers, handy-windy, day-date (in English!) with quick date set pusher
    (and as a bonus you get two mainspring barrels that you can't see :D)

Thats more like it :D

Lovely looking watch. Cant afford to be buying more to be honest though :o

• Advertisement

Peasant, when your taste turns to golden age (50s-60s imho) Swiss stuff and militaria, my bank balance is going to take an awful pounding if I keep following this thread. I already had a Komandirskie and an Amphibia, so I was well inoculated against the current Russian vibe you have going on. :)

No danger of that happening ... my "taste" is predominantly "AFFORDABLE & available" then "mechanical" and lastly "slightly different". Russian watches just happen to tick all those boxes.

If you ever see me posting about expensive, exclusive and elusive watches ...please call an ambulance ...I must have had a stroke :D

Advertisement