Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 weeks in Japan - Package or Self Build?

• 02-11-2015 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Jesper

I'm set to book a trip to Japan next year for 2 weeks. Myself and partner (30). We could probably take longer or is 2 weeks enough?
    Would people suggest a package trip or a self build? Personally I like a self build but right now I know very little about Japan and it's a full country to view in a short time so maybe a package trip is best?
    Who is the best/cheapest carrier?
    Any good sites/books/blogs to read in advance?
    I'd love to be there for a festival (besides GW). So we are thinking the Start of April or after Golden Week in May. Is there anything on those times?

What are the ski seasons/prices (in case we push it out to Nov/Dec)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭shindig-jp

You might want to get some opinions here on building an itinerary.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭DulchieLaois

Definitely plan it yourself however first question, when do you want to go, this makes a huge difference to a planned trip regarding weather, activities like sumo, climbing Mount Fuji etc, I would b more than happy to help as I have lived there before

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Jesper

Definitely plan it yourself however first question, when do you want to go, this makes a huge difference to a planned trip regarding weather, activities like sumo, climbing Mount Fuji etc, I would b more than happy to help as I have lived there before

Hi Dulchie Appreciate the help.

From a small bit of research I think any of the first 3 weeks in April or the last 3 in May (avoiding Golden Week) or October/November. I'd like a few days in maybe 2 main cities. Then get out and do some travel over the country (trains?). Mt. Fuji would be something we'd like to do. How many days hike it that? Is there any 2-4 day hikes?

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭DulchieLaois

First most, you have to plan your trip around the sumo - well worth a day visit for the maddness that it is
    http://www.japan-talk.com/jt/new/sumo-schedule

Mount Fuji climb is recommended in July/August - it can be done overnight and to be at the top at sunrise
    http://www.fujisan-climb.jp/en/

One of the wierdest little things to do in Japan is be there for Paddies Day parade which blocks the main shopping street for a parade for 20,000 people to see

Trains, you can buy a shinkansen pass which gives you umliited travel on shinkansen within a time period - 1 week/2 weeks

Big country, lots to do, really depends on the things that you would like to do while there and then you can plan your trip around it

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭shindig-jp

Have you decided on a plan & a budget for your trip yet ? First off I would start here with the tickets long in advance to get the best deal and good short flight connections. You don't want to be lumbered with long 5 ~7 hours waits for a connecting flight in Europe and then make the long haul .

End of February~March is known as Hikkoshi shīzun (moving season) for new employees & companies relocating their staff around the country and getting everyone settled into their new home and place of employment before the start of the financial year 1st April .

Air fares can be had for a snip March~ April ~ May time and the weather is very comfortable (dry air)

Air fares in October~November early December are also reasonable and again weather is warm to cool (dry air) to cold December. Let's leave it there for now until we know a little more of your plan.

Just a note on currency , My budget this year was a little messed up simply because I was banking on a stronger Euro . Germany I guess letting in so many migrants and the US Fed held off on their planned hike plus the Chinese jumping the gun in their devaluation . Anyway never mind my problems it just means I need to adjust and increase my budget.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Depends on what you would like to see on your trip. Pick a few activities or cities and build an itinerary around that. It's very do-able to book it yourself if you plan it right. Definitely get yourself a JR pass if you're going to be traveling as it allows you to use any JR train including the shinkansen/bullet train (except the fastest one). Keep in mind that if you're going over in summer time it can be really humid so you may be better off going in September/October/November.

I went over this time last year and the weather was perfect. 2 weeks should be enough to get a taste of everything Japan has to offer but again it really depends on what you want to do. I just used skyscanner to have a look at cheap flights. If you do want to book a tour I used these guys and found them excellent.

If you can, I recommend going near the beginning of April! The weather's fine and it'll be hanami (cherry blossom viewing) season!
    And I also recommend a self-built vacation. Packages are far too pricey and you always end up being dragged around. As far as key locations go, Akasaka, Ueno and Yoyogi Parks are beautiful around that time. You can easily get to Kamakura, where there's a daibutsu (giant buddha) from Tokyo.
    From there it's just a matter of whether or not you want to take the shinkansen (E100) or a bus (E20-70) to Osaka. I reckon about a day in Osaka is enough to see Osaka-jo and other places. From there you can get to both Nara and Kyoto easily by JR line. Nara has the largest daibutsu and a huge palace and park, which used to be the seat of the emperor. You can find hundreds of free-roaming deer in the park!
    Kyoto, of course, was the old capital of Japan. If you go there, I recommend renting kimono from a local shop, as you can sometimes get discounts if you wear one! You can go to Gion, Ginkaku-ji, Kyoto-jo, Kinkaku-ji, Ni-jo, Fushimi-inari, Kiyomizu-dera, etc.

We've pretty much settled on departing between May 7-11th and staying a forthnight. Doing 3-4 Major cites and including an overnight hike to Mt. Fuji.

We can fly Turkish Airlines return (stop over in Istanbul). and spend a few days in Istanbul on way home for €550 or so! Very good value right now!

Any good suggestions on 2 week itinerary's would be welcome. I'd like to get the Sumo in 7th May.. and expect to be in Tokyo for that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭Shelga

Hi OP,

I'm just back from 9 days in Japan, I love the place. Our itinerary was: Tokyo 2 full days, train to Nozawa for 1-2 days of snow sports, train to Kyoto for 3 days which included a day trip to Nara, then a final night in Osaka.

I think that was a pretty good use of the time, but there is so much to see and do there. I would love to go back. I think the Mount Fuji expedition will be awesome, that is definitely on my list if I return. One thing I will say is that Tokyo was probably my least favourite of the places we were in, but I sort of expected that. I was going for more of the temples/mountains/historical vibe than the big cities, although Tokyo is still a lot of fun!

I've been to Kobe before also, that is worth a day or so if you are in the Kansai region? I would also like to see more of the coastal regions. The small town of Nozawa was cool but we were there for snowsports. The region has natural hot springs which were great to relax in.

Was just reading about this Three Sights of Japan thing, worth fitting them in if you're anywhere nearby? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Views_of_Japan

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Paddy GT

Don't do any package stuff in Japan - put together an itinerary yourself and show it to someone who has spent time in Japan who will be able to offer advice..

Its an amazing country, Enjoy

• Advertisement

Shelga wrote: »
    Hi OP,

I'm just back from 9 days in Japan, I love the place. Our itinerary was: Tokyo 2 full days, train to Nozawa for 1-2 days of snow sports, train to Kyoto for 3 days which included a day trip to Nara, then a final night in Osaka.

I think that was a pretty good use of the time, but there is so much to see and do there. I would love to go back. I think the Mount Fuji expedition will be awesome, that is definitely on my list if I return. One thing I will say is that Tokyo was probably my least favourite of the places we were in, but I sort of expected that. I was going for more of the temples/mountains/historical vibe than the big cities, although Tokyo is still a lot of fun!

I've been to Kobe before also, that is worth a day or so if you are in the Kansai region? I would also like to see more of the coastal regions. The small town of Nozawa was cool but we were there for snowsports. The region has natural hot springs which were great to relax in.

Was just reading about this Three Sights of Japan thing, worth fitting them in if you're anywhere nearby? [urlnow.tps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Views_of_Japan[/url]

Actually I just posted my itinery on a different post. Pretty settled on it now
    How did you find accommodation over there? Good bad? Pricey?

Myself and gf are going for 2 weeks in May.
    Tokyo x3 with sumo tournament
    Kyoto x 3 with Samurai training
    Nara/Wakayama region to do the Kudo Kumano (hike/pilgrimage). To mix up the city life a bit. Overnight.
    Mt. Koyo temple Koyasan region. Temple stay for a night or two.
    Back through Nara back to
    Osaka x2/3 before departing from there.

We were going to go to Hiroshima/Miyrohima but felt a bit rushed so recently cancelled this part. Mt. Fuji isn't 'open' to hikes at this time so a no go. But found other ways to fill our outdoor time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 putthekettleon

Kyoto x 3 with Samurai training sounds like a tourist trap, it might be fun though. Keep in mind, the image of samurai that we have and a lot of modern Japanese have is false. Samurai were essentially mounted archers, the sword was a weapon of last resort if pulled or thrown from the horse.

Advertisement