Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Couple Ordered to Demolish House - any update?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Kaybaykwah wrote: »
    Only problem is that when you sell the house and a surveyor draws up a Location plan, there will be a discrepancy with what was there before.

If you get a permit for a relatively small project like that, you will have things in order. I think it is better to get approval, and even getting a check from an inspector when finished than an order for removal.

If they ever move they would probablyjust knock down the hall part.
    Probably could take the now freestanding garden room with them if they wanted too.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

This is a miss conception. Most business are based out of Dublin, there main offices and especially HR sections are based there. The taxes for people that are employed working for them down the country are paid in Dublin.
    That's incorrect.
    Tax is registered against your home address. Somebody living down the country working for a company with a HQ in dublin, his tax is registered against his home addresses.

If anything, Dublin is under represented due to the amount of people commuting to Dublin everyday from outside the county.
    So the taxes paid by the postman, eir employee, teachers, social welfare employees in leitrim may all be treated as Dublin based employee's as well as staff managing there HR side.
    Again, incorrect. The postman in Leitrim likely lives in Leitrim.
    I am not taking the farmers jornal as a souurce. I think you did not read my post. The coporation tax of the FJ is paid to its business address in Bluebell in Dublin as is it rates and other taxes. However all its economic activity is where it raises its money is outside of Dublin.
    This is a completely different point to what you are saying before.

But where a company generates it's revenue from is unrelated to where it conducts business.
    Somebody could in Leitrim runs a distillery and sells Gin all over the country. The fact their revenue comes from all over is irrelevant, they operate in Leitrim
    So all the cars importers based in Dublin sell the majority of there cars to Dublin dealers. car registerations tell us a different story. the majority of companies that provide nationwide services have there HQ's Dublin every telecoms company eir, sky vodaphone etc, the ESB, white goods importers, machinery importers etc etc. The economic activity generates is less than 50% dublin based.
    The fact their customers come fro mall over is irrelevant. The work is undertaken in dublin.
    I've no idea what point you are tryign to make here. But you've got a very special brand of begrudgery there.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Kaybaykwah wrote: »
    Only problem is that when you sell the house and a surveyor draws up a Location plan, there will be a discrepancy with what was there before.

If you get a permit for a relatively small project like that, you will have things in order. I think it is better to get approval, and even getting a check from an inspector when finished than an order for removal.

You don't need a survey done when selling. And they certainly don't compare it to what was there before.
    Planning likely wasn't required. What you are describing isn't an issue.
    JimmyVik wrote: »
    If they ever move they would probably just knock down the hall part.
    Probably could take the now freestanding garden room with them if they wanted too.

I doubt they'd have to knock it, from a planning perspective at least. Doesn't sound large enough to require planning. Although it may not be up to scratch in terms of building regs.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Muahahaha wrote: »
    :confused: not sure how that would happen. Just making the point that infrastructure in rural areas is subsidised by the taxes paid in urban areas, as it is in all countries really. There seems to be a myth on these Boards and elsewhere that rural Ireland pays its own way in terms of infrastructure, it simply doesnt and the stats bear this out.

Again Im not arguing against the system, just pointing out realities to posters who say rural Ireland pays for everything itself. It doesn't here in Ireland and it doesn't in other countries either.

A lot of the expensive infrastructure in rural areas is not actually built for people in rural areas - it is to connect the larger cities and towns to each other.

There is a plan to spend a billion Euro to connect Cork and Limerick cities. The vast majority of the length of that motorway will pass through rural, less populated, areas. They can of course benefit from it, but the main beneficiaries are people and businesses in the cities. In fact, motorways often cause disruption to local life due to properties being bisected and lanes etc. turned into dead ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

rn wrote: »
    You don't really subsidise the rural dweller. We pay for everything ourselves, generally through higher service costs.
    • postal deliveries to widely dispersed houses were 3½ times more expensive than to urban houses
    • the capital costs of providing power lines to serve rural homes were 2.4 times higher
    • the built-in subsidy for installing electricity connections was €390 in urban areas in 2003, compared to €865 in rural areas. On an ongoing basis, ESB staff were being paid 41 cent for each urban home and 96 cent for rural ones. And although rural costs were 134 per cent higher, less than half of this was actually charged.
    • of the €500 million allocated for non-national roads in 2004, only 12 per cent was going on urban roads; the rest (88 per cent) was to be invested rural areas.

(These figures are out of date but you get the general idea)

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/septic-tank-hype-veils-public-subsidy-to-rural-dwellers-1.470348

• Advertisement

El Tarangu wrote: »
    • postal deliveries to widely dispersed houses were 3½ times more expensive than to urban houses
    • the capital costs of providing power lines to serve rural homes were 2.4 times higher
    • the built-in subsidy for installing electricity connections was €390 in urban areas in 2003, compared to €865 in rural areas. On an ongoing basis, ESB staff were being paid 41 cent for each urban home and 96 cent for rural ones. And although rural costs were 134 per cent higher, less than half of this was actually charged.
    • of the €500 million allocated for non-national roads in 2004, only 12 per cent was going on urban roads; the rest (88 per cent) was to be invested rural areas.

(These figures are out of date but you get the general idea)

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/septic-tank-hype-veils-public-subsidy-to-rural-dwellers-1.470348

Anyone can phrase stats in almost any way to appear to support their argument

Overall though your arguments are a little incoherent, and no offence meant, but come across as a little bitter that you think others might have it better than you - You say that everyone should be allowed to build in the countryside, even if they have no demonstrable local need, and then you are complaining about the cost of those who do.

Anyone can phrase stats in almost any way to appear to support their argument

Do you take an issue with the source of veracity of any of the stat provided, or you just don't like them? I notice that you haven't provided any yourself to support your own assertions; rn suggested that urban dwellers don't in fact subsidise rural dwellers - this is demonstrably incorrect.

Overall though your arguments are a little incoherent, and no offence meant, but come across as a little bitter that you think others might have it better than you - You say that everyone should be allowed to build in the countryside, even if they have no demonstrable local need, and then you are complaining about the cost of those who do.

Actually the point I was making was that no new one-off houses should be granted planning, that land should be zoned in rural villages instead, for the some of the many reasons of cost and ecology brought up in this thread.

Actually the point I was making was that no new one-off houses should be granted planning, that land should be zoned in rural villages instead, for the some of the many reasons of cost and ecology brought up in this thread.

Is that right? And how do you think these rural villages will be linked? Given that your latest complaint is about the cost of "non national roads"

Helicopter? Jetpack?

You just come across as bitter and looking to project that onto others that you think are getting something that you are not.

Get me stats for the number of kilometers of new roads built every year to support one-off housing? If it is not zero, then it is close to zero. I would say it is zero but sure you'll probably find one example somewhere of a realignment or something that was done somewhere.

Then get me the stats for number of kilometers of new road built as a result of new housing estates. That is obviously not zero.

Obviously then, using your "logic", rural taxpayers are therefore subsidising new roads in urban areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

bb1234567 wrote: »
    What I find most shocking about this is the fact that some posters saying that thing pictured in the article is 'nice'.

Pure god awful tacky pile of Celtic tiger muck. Probably for the best it'll be demolished as they'll probably go bankrupt trying to light and heat that monstrously oversized home.
    It's a perfectly cromulent house...

It might look better with bigger windows, but then there's more glare on the TV

Get me stats for the number of kilometers of new roads built every year to support one-off housing? If it is not zero, then it is close to zero. I would say it is zero but sure you'll probably find one example somewhere of a realignment or something that was done somewhere.

Then get me the stats for number of kilometers of new road built as a result of new housing estates. That is obviously not zero.

Maintaining a kilometre of road that connects an estate of 200 dwellings is more cost-effective (per inhabitant) than maintaining a road that goes to one single dwelling for a county council, and indeed society in general - I'm not sure how you can fail to grasp this principle.
    Obviously then, using your "logic", rural taxpayers are therefore subsidising new roads in urban areas.

No; urban taxpayers subsidise rural dwellers for everything, but particularly in the case of road maintenance carried out by county councils (some more stats for you here) https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-20262606.html

Not bitter at all, but clearly continue to build houses in the middle of nowhere, which will cause these higher costs for society for generations to come, is not at all sustainable economically (not even to mention the ecological point).

• Advertisement

Maintaining a kilometre of road that connects an estate of 200 dwellings is more cost-effective (per inhabitant) than maintaining a road that goes to one single dwelling for a county council, and indeed society in general - I'm not sure how you can fail to grasp this principle.

No; urban taxpayers subsidise rural dwellers for everything, but particularly in the case of road maintenance carried out by county councils (some more stats for you here) https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-20262606.html

Not bitter at all, but clearly continue to build houses in the middle of nowhere, which will cause these higher costs for society for generations to come, is not at all sustainable economically (not even to mention the ecological point).

Existing roads need to be maintained regardless of whether there is zero houses or 5 houses on that road. Me building a one-off house on an existing road adds zero to any cost. That's zero extra per house.

Whereas Dublin City Council building a housing estate and new roads, (to give away to people who will make shite of the lot of it but that's another matter), will result in increased capital cost to build plus increased cost to maintain the additional road compared to if the houses had not been built.

Turning your misrepresented stats against you, the cost per household of maintaining the existing road network would simply halve if we doubled the number of houses along it! So if you want to use that stat (cost per household), then I am allowed to give you a solution that will halve that cost!

I reckon the rural dweller is subsidizing the urban dweller overall - prisons and methadone distribution clinics etc. don't come cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

I reckon the rural dweller is subsidizing the urban dweller overall - prisons and methadone distribution clinics etc. don't come cheap

Turning to insults because your argument is poor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

• Agree about postal deliveries. I'd be quite happy for a once weekly delivery or the option of collecting post from my local PO, but the then government stamped all over An Post when these cost-saving measures were proposed well over a decade ago. A strong argument was made that there was a massive social benefit for isolated rural dwellers having a regular postal delivery. (Although the government wasn't willing to subsidise An Post for providing such a service!)
    • The capital cost may be dearer, but the significant difference between urban and rural rates for both standing charges and unit costs probably claws this back over time.
    • Even if one-off homes weren't being built in the countryside, rural roads would still be required to support the likes of agriculture, tourism and fisheries.

Turning to insults because your argument is poor?

http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Irish_Prison_Service_Annual_Report_2019.pdf/Files/Irish_Prison_Service_Annual_Report_2019.pdf

Annual budget for Irish Prison services in 2019 was 359.01 million Euro

That would cover at least a few rural postmen salaries I'm sure

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

That would cover at least a few rural postmen salaries I'm sure

Yes Donald, most of us who live in cities and bigger towns have done at least a couple of years in Mountjoy.

Simple country living rural folks would never break the law.

Turning your misrepresented stats against you, the cost per household of maintaining the existing road network would simply halve if we doubled the number of houses along it! So if you want to use that stat (cost per household), then I am allowed to give you a solution that will halve that cost!

... and if you built one hundred houses side by side along the road, it would be an urban area and cost one-hundredth of the cost per inhabitant - do you understand the principle now?

... and if you built one hundred houses side by side along the road, it would be an urban area and cost one-hundredth of the cost per inhabitant - do you understand the principle now?

Yeah, but as explained above, you aren't including the additional costs of prisons and methadone clinics etc.

Plus, it's very silly to imply that we should densely pack houses in ribbon developments along the entire stretch of the country's road network. That's kinda silly talk to be fair.

Yeah, but as explained above, you aren't including the additional costs of prisons and methadone clinics etc.

It's quite satisfying when you have won an argument so comprehensively that your opponent feels the need to resort to such desperate (not to mention bizarre) non-sequitors :)

It's quite satisfying when you have won an argument so comprehensively that your opponent feels the need to resort to such desperate (not to mention bizarre) non-sequitors :)

Ah sure, whatever makes you happy.

Ignorance can be bliss

Yes Donald, most of us who live in cities and bigger towns have done at least a couple of years in Mountjoy.

Simple country living rural folks would never break the law.

Ah right. I didn't think it was most.

Although it's probably not correct to extrapolate to the whole population. You might be biased based on wherever you are yourself but it might not be correct to say most for everywhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Whats this thread about?
    Asking for a friend

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Whats this thread about?
    Asking for a friend

Ah it started about a couple who built a house without planning permission and were quite rightly told to take it down and that that should be being enforced.

Then it morphed into some posters whinging that anyone should be allow to build where they wanted to, followed by contradictory whinging about their imagined cost of rural housing on the city dwellers (presumably because they think this imaginary cost reduces available funds for the local methadone clinics)

I don't know why people are so bitter tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Ah it started about a couple who built a house without planning permission and were quite rightly told to take it down and that that should be being enforced.

Then it morphed into some posters whinging that anyone should be allow to build where they wanted to, followed by contradictory whinging about their imagined cost of rural housing on the city dwellers (presumably because they think this imaginary cost reduces available funds for the local methadone clinics)

I don't know why people are so bitter tbh.

Its an Irish thing. Posters dont want the house taken down because its illegal but they want the family in it to be more moserable than them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

Mellor wrote: »

If Murray continues to refuse he will go to jail. But it's not an overnight thing, and there are other lines worth pursuing first.

Such as?

I assume that you're not advocating the "lump hammer on incredibly thick skull" approach? Although all of the evidence available to us suggests to me that this is probably the only feasible alternative to jailing the man until he purges his contempt. And I'd want to see photos of the demolition under way before I'd release him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭dubrov

Then it morphed again into posts whinging about the whinging ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

kingbhome wrote: »
    ;)

Donedeal new poles 100e each. What is it makes you doubt it

I wouldn't take every ad on done deal as gospel truth.
    I can't remember the grade of timber and spec of pressure treatment acceptable for the ESB but it alot better than normal timber posts so I'm just surprised they could be as cheap as a hundred euro

• Registered Users Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Road damage, and therefore maintenance requirements, are a function of vehicle weight, but it's not linear, it's a shocking power to the 4th. That means that each time one of the multiple tractors that pass my house each day, which weigh 5.7 times as much as my car, does 1,023 times as much damage to the road as my car does. Given there is a dairy farm past my house, a large milk tanker goes up the road daily. That thing does 9,600 times as much damage to the road as my car.

It would be safe to say that the road maintenance requirements inflicted on rural roads by those living in one-off houses and driving normal cars is utterly insignificant to the point of being near immeasurable.

Once again, I have to repeat, that the infrastructure in rural areas is a requirement of farming, and this clearly applies to maintenance as well as establishment. One off rural houses are not being subsidised by urban dwellers, the costs all relate to farming activity.

In February, the ESB had the road completely blocked with an 8 vehicle crew, installing a new transformer.

ESB-Transformer-crew-copy.jpg

It is a great example of the costs of one-off rural housing being imaginary. That large crew were installing a new transformer, the sole connection to it is the dairy farm, where there had recently been a lot of activity with the installation of new equipment, which it's reasonable to assume had much larger power supply requirements than the existing connection could deliver.

About 2 months ago, the road was closed for half a day while the road outside and adjoining that farm was resurfaced, because it was in a poor state because of all the SUVs, tractors milk tankers, and quad bikes that buzz in and out of the farm yard all day long.

Townies are just competely out of their depth when it comes to understanding why rural infrastructure exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

cnocbui wrote: »
    Road damage, and therefore maintenance requirements, are a function of vehicle weight, but it's not linear, it's a shocking power to the 4th. That means that each time one of the multiple tractors that pass my house each day, which weigh 5.7 times as much as my car, does 1,023 times as much damage to the road as my car does. Given there is a dairy farm past my house, a large milk tanker goes up the road daily. That thing does 9,600 times as much damage to the road as my car.

It would be safe to say that the road maintenance requirements inflicted on rural roads by those living in one-off houses and driving normal cars is utterly insignificant to the point of being near immeasurable.

Once again, I have to repeat, that the infrastructure in rural areas is a requirement of farming, and this clearly applies to maintenance as well as establishment. One off rural houses are not being subsidised by urban dwellers, the costs all relate to farming activity.

In February, the ESB had the road completely blocked with an 8 vehicle crew, installing a new transformer.

ESB-Transformer-crew-copy.jpg

It is a great example of the costs of one-off rural housing being imaginary. That large crew were installing a new transformer, the sole connection to it is the dairy farm, where there had recently been a lot of activity with the installation of new equipment, which it's reasonable to assume had much larger power supply requirements than the existing connection could deliver.

About 2 months ago, the road was closed for half a day while the road outside and adjoining that farm was resurfaced, because it was in a poor state because of all the SUVs, tractors milk tankers, and quad bikes that buzz in and out of the farm yard all day long.

Townies are just competely out of their depth when it comes to understanding why rural infrastructure exists.

But not all of these farms make money. Realistically, it would help farming if farms were a lot larger in this country and they would need less subsidies.

cnocbui wrote: »

100%. There is a quarry up the road from me. As a result, most of the traffic on the road are big tipper trucks hauling loads of stone. And presumably, assuming that most construction takes place in urban or industrial areas, that it most of the stone is going to those places.

If they are resurfacing and fixing that road every few years.....it isn't being caused by the postman having to come to give me a few letters.

• Advertisement

But not all of these farms make money. Realistically, it would help farming if farms were a lot larger in this country and they would need less subsidies.

If people paid more for your food and nobody would need a subsidy.

Subsidies are for the benefit of the consumer. That is why they were brought in and that is how it panned out.

Advertisement