Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sensor type for upstairs windows

Options
  • 06-08-2020 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi all, newbie question. New build, pre-wired for alarm, will be getting alarm fitted. Looking for confirmation of whether shock or dual (shock & contact) sensors can be used for setting the alarm at night with certain windows open & advice on sensor types to get fitted for different areas of house.

Current plan:
    HKC 10270.

Front door (with glass window on side): wired dual (contact & shock) sensor OR contact only sensor.
    -> Which sensor type is recommended for a front door in general? I can see logic for either type.
    Dual/Shock: I've been advised that a shock or dual sensor would inevitably trigger more (people/kids knocking front door). But, could the shock sensor be dialed down (or disabled fully) post installation in case it false triggers too much?
    Contact-only: wouldn't have false triggers people/kids knocking on door but also wouldn't trigger if the glass window is broken. Would prefer not to have to fit an RF sensor just on the glass window next to the door.
    Recommendations?

Downstairs windows (all): wired dual (contact & shock) sensors.
    Downstairs side window (non-opening): wireless shock sensor.

Upstairs windows:
    For rooms over canopy: wired dual (shock & contact) sensors.
    For rooms not over a canopy: wired contact sensors.
    -> I'd need to be able to leave some upstairs windows open at night. Can dual or shock-only sensors be used for leaving windows open at night? I know contact-only can.

Velux windows in attic (not-prewired): RF contact-only dual (shock & contact) sensors.
    -> I may not fit anything here at all as likelyhood of break-in at that height is low. But, if I was to what sensor type is recommended? Again I see logic for both types.
    RF contact-only: I assume these are recommended due to higher chance of birds causing false triggers (flying into the window, walking on roof where velux windows are etc). But, given size of velux glass I assume they're easier to break/into. So only a dual/shock sensor would be of benefit in that instance.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Your spec reads well.

We fit inertia shock sensors with reeds to Front Doors and never experienced the possibilities you mentioned.

As regards your upstairs windows, the contact in the shock sensor could be wired seperately to the shock sensor so you could have the best of both worlds, as in you could have the system in part guard at night and be able to open the windows with the contacts disabled but the shock element active.

As regards your velux windows, it is hail stone is more of a concern there if inertias were fitted to them, you would be best off fitting contacts to these, but also consider a few beams also in your spec.

Advertisement