Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MotoGP, Superbikes and Road Racing 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Marc Marquez back in hospital to repair a damaged plate in his arms. Operation and observation for 48 hours.

No word on participation at Brno yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

he needs to think smartly about his recovery or he could cause serious long term damage. whats one season off if it extends his career by a few years

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    he needs to think smartly about his recovery or he could cause serious long term damage. whats one season off if it extends his career by a few years

Looks almost certain that Marc will miss Brno and with 3 races in 3 weekends a long layoff seems a sensible decision.

50 points down on Fabio,carrying an injury and a maximum of 15 races (that's IF Le Man's goes ahead ) this season not even Marc can overcome those odds.

Confirmed Marc to miss Brno - Bradl will ride the bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Wonder if Rossi is thinking.."maybe......"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Beltby

Yamaha might run out of engines this season. It would be cruel on them if that's what keeps them from winning a championship, but it's up to Yamaha to build engines to last.

Did they say what the cause of the failure on morbidellis bike was? It didn't sound too healthy when it pulled up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Wonder if Rossi is thinking.."maybe......"
    Doubt it. It was only through others misfortune that he got a podium the last day. Any other weekend the very same performance could have seen him in 6th place.

He's worth several hundred million and has lots of other interests, mainly rallying, I don't know why he doesn't call it a day and enjoy his retirement, quitting under his own terms rather than being told nobody want's him. Petronas already expressed doubt.

Scotty # wrote: »
    Doubt it. It was only through others misfortune that he got a podium the last day. Any other weekend the very same performance could have seen him in 6th place.

He's worth several hundred million and has lots of other interests, mainly rallying, I don't know why he doesn't call it a day and enjoy his retirement, quitting under his own terms rather than being told nobody want's him. Petronas already expressed doubt.

Firstly he was on for a second place ahead of Maverick before his error and key to my statement is ahead of team leader Maverick.

Rossi is no longer the fastest but he is still wiliest and it was clear after Jerez #2 that he had made a big breakthrough - not enough to be champion but definitely enough to have podiums.

Re SRT Petronas - what expression of doubt ? , was the exact opposite not said ?

Beltby wrote: »
    Yamaha might run out of engines this season. It would be cruel on them if that's what keeps them from winning a championship, but it's up to Yamaha to build engines to last.

Did they say what the cause of the failure on morbidellis bike was? It didn't sound too healthy when it pulled up.

2 engines sent back to Japan for dismantling apparently.

Yamahas engine problems are the elephant in the room for Fabios or Mavericks title challenge.

Big weekend for Dovi and the Ducatis with Yamaha expected to struggle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

There is a getout clause, if the problem is related to a sensor or similar component that has failed in a batch then its possible for the engines to be unsealed and the component replaced and then resealed.
    So a possible out for Yamaha if indeed that is the case.

Marquez may miss the Austrian round as well, returning for the Misano double header.
    If he misses Brno and Austria that means a very large points loss.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Marquez may miss the Austrian round as well, returning for the Misano double header.
    If he misses Brno and Austria that means a very large points loss.

Championship is already over for Marc - not even Marc can overcome a potential 100+ deficit with a max of 250 points on the table,and that's assuming he is fit enough to win.
    You would need multiple riders picking up injuries causing them to miss races etc which obviously nobody wants.

Now the logic behind hiring Pol next year is clear to see - no one expects a Honda to win at a circuit where at worst they have the second best bike behind the Ducatis.

Cal would normally be a podim contender but he is carrying an injury so unless a miracle happens for Nakagami it's a Ducati / Yamaha podium.
    Huge race for Ducati , Suzuki are effectively stifled by Rins injury,KTMS lack the horsepower and Aprilla have their overheating issues.

Brno probably one of the best circuits in the world - the TV cameras do not do justice to 'Honda' hill or the gradient on the turn on to the straights.

Infoanon wrote: »

Huge race for Ducati , Suzuki are effectively stifled by Rins injury,KTMS lack the horsepower and Aprilla have their overheating issues.

Brno probably one of the best circuits in the world - the TV cameras do not do justice to 'Honda' hill or the gradient on the turn on to the straights.

Agreed about Brno, fantastic circuit has it all.
    Now Ducati may be about to shoot their whole foot off, again, with the announcement that they might be about to get rid of Dovi.
    They can't agree on Money apparently and will decide after the second Spielburgring race on whether they want to continue with Dovi or move to Bagnaia as their #1 rider.
    They had an agreement but after C19 they want to reduce the money and thats a sticking point for Dovi understandably.
    Runner up for the last three years behind MM and they treat him like this?

Ducati are disastrous at rider management . They have made ****e of every decent rider they ever had because they can't manage riders effectively.

Firstly he was on for a second place ahead of Maverick before his error and key to my statement is ahead of team leader Maverick.
    He was on for second yes, but he couldn't keep MV behind him and finished 3rd. If MM was racing it would most likely have been 4th. If Bagnaia's engine hadn't blown, 5th. If Morbidelli's hadn't blown, who knows, possibly 6th. Yes, he had a good race. I'm a fan so was delighted to see it. But, in my opinion, his result was mostly down to the high attrition rather than outstanding performance.
    Re SRT Petronas - what expression of doubt ? , was the exact opposite not said ?
    Razlan Razali has said he had doubts after Jerez #1 regarding signing Rossi. He's said after Jerez #2 that those doubts have been lifted.
    “Vale is Vale,” he told Italian sports newspaper La Gazzetta dello Sport. “To be honest, I had my doubts after the first race. I kept telling myself that ‘the Doctor’ would come back and he did. Although Rossi’s ride with the Sepang International Circuit-owned squad has not yet been confirmed, Razali says that the podium result “made it easier” to justify the signing to shareholders. “We are Petronas (SRT) and we make choices based on business, but we cannot ignore the fans who perhaps would like a local rider. It is not a forced choice, but he is not a normal rider. According to Razali, the delay in finalising the deal with Rossi relates to matters concerning the “structure” between Yamaha, VR46, and SRT, the former of which has promised full factory support to ‘The Doctor’.

Although Rossi would represent a significant departure from SRT’s make-up, Razali says the squad is committed to retaining its philosophy.

“We don’t want our team to be famous for Valentino,” he declared.

“We want anyone who runs with us to make results. From a certain point of view, it gives me more joy to have created something from nothing and to be where we are today with Fabio. “We want to continue that philosophy, and with Valentino we want to be sure we can help him. We don’t want to be popular because he is there, but to help make him competitive even at his age.

“After talking to him and his staff, we are understanding of what he needs.”

Yamaha have said they'll provide Rossi with a full factory bike (and Morbidelli too??) but it absolutely sounds to me like SRT are being told they're taking Rossi and don't have a lot of say in it. It is not a forced choice, it's easier to justify to the shareholders... strange comments from a team boss for a new signing.

I wonder who'll be paying the wage bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,140 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Morbidelli already has factory bike and support no?

I think it was Simon Patterson that tweeted the entire 2020 is on factory supported 2020 bikes excpet the Avintia's and Nakagami?

It comes down to money. SRT lease their bikes rather than purchase them. Last year they leased one 'Spec A' bike and one 'Spec B' bike with Morbidelli on the Spec A. This year they're both on Spec A.

KTM have last years up for sale at the moment for €288k each (which includes a signed Pol Espargaró leathers and helmet...:D) but no parts afaik.

I'm open to correction but as I understand it Yamaha's 'Spec A' is the same as Rossi's and Vinale's for the most part but is supplied un-tuned so to speak and it's up to SRT's engineers to get the most out of it.

Lin Jarvis has stated that Rossi "will get the full Yamaha factory bike AND engineers support". So I presume it's different to the leased version.

That's if it goes ahead at all. Nothing is signed yet. Both SRT and Rossi seem reluctant to finish the deal (up until Jerez#2 anyway). There were reports of Rossi signing a two year deal a few weeks ago but Razlan was quickly on to Twitter do deny it. He's since deleted the tweet but...

razali-facebook-1594404625-900x228.jpg

Scotty # wrote: »
    Razlan Razali has said he had doubts after Jerez #1 regarding signing Rossi. He's said after Jerez #2 that those doubts have been lifted.
    I wonder who'll be paying the wage bill?

Razali made a comment after the second race saying he had doubts but now they have been lifted is very different to Razali saying he had doubts.
    General consensus from the reliable sources is that Rossi and SRT is a done deal - the issue is Rossis engineers and who will pay for them ! - though in theory you'd think that Fabio would want to take his engineers to the factory team.

A spec , B spec bikes mean different things to different manufacturers - SRT will have factory bikes next season - SRT can pay the lease and Yamaha need to keep Rossi happy.
    Yamaha are following the recent trend set by KTM,then Ducati and belatedly by Honda.
    BUT having a factory spec bike does not mean it's the latest bike and/or its the same bike as the factory team.
    Additionally , as seen clearly with Cals factory spec Honda Vs Marcs , the electronics are set by the satellite teams engineers which can be a major disadvantage to the satellite teams.

Qualifying is going to be amazing - Cal the only Honda into quali 2 and Zarco fastest Ducati !!

Dovi,Miller,Rins,Oliveria all in Quali 1

Pecco out for the next 2 races - Pirro to race in Austria for Pramac

What a qualifying session !

• Advertisement

What a qualifying session !

who would have thought he would of been on pole!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

MotoGP isn’t quite as predictable as it used to be is it :eek: I know Marc isn’t out there but still.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

This is great stuff. Zarco’s long lap was a thing of beauty!

Faugheen wrote: »

Race Direction should hang their heads in shame

h3000 wrote: »
    MotoGP isn’t quite as predictable as it used to be is it :eek: I know Marc isn’t out there but still.

Understatement of the weekend !

No one could have seen that podium

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Beltby

Zarco did extremely well to hang on to the podium.

Race Direction should hang their heads in shame

worse call i have seen in a long time. no way zarco could of seen Pol

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    worse call i have seen in a long time. no way zarco could of seen Pol

Not forgetting Pol had made an error and gone wide in the first place.
    Pol blaming Zarco on the basis that it was an avoidable incident - joke of a decision and ultimately cost Zarco a place.

Ducati bigwigs very unhappy about the decision and very vocal about it. Ducati not Avintia btw .

Austria next weekend - supposedly another power circuit that should suit the Ducatis and Hondas. ...

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭legrand

Faugheen wrote: »

sweet..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s2JjTbgu7Q

• Advertisement

...and ultimately cost Zarco a place.

He only lost 1.8s on that lap, I'm not so sure it cost him a place. It was pretty amazing how well he took it.

Felt a bit sorry for Morbidelli but Binder thoroughly deserved it.

Rossi had a great race. Vinales on the other hand... I don;t know how he managed to get another two years out of Yamaha. He was supposed to be this whiz kid coming to Yamaha (much like all the talk of FQ now) but he's been a disappointment to say the least.

Very disappointed with Alex Marquez's performance so far too. I can see now why Honda want rid.

I know Dorna are trying to keep races as tight as possible and have the bikes as even as they can but I don't like the way the factory bikes are becoming the underdogs.

Advertisement