Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Businesses opening in Dublin 15

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Daeltaja wrote: »
    Spice of India Clonsilla has had a major interior upgrade. I see they put a new door on too. It's flooded with light and way more inviting now. Was there the other night and food as fanastic as ever. Very happy to have a great Indian restaurant in the area. The management appear to be listening to feedback too (though the manager could be a bit more engaging!)

Have heard several positive reviews. I still miss the Shimla, their particular style of cooking was A1. Glad to hear Spice is doing so well, must drop in, have only ever had it takeaway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I got it wrong a few weeks ago but per this article, Gym + Coffee clothing store will now open in Blanch SC next month (Sept). Article worth a read, lad just 34 and now running a highly successful fashion business and it thrived despite the pandemic!

Gym+Coffee moves into the fast lane

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/gymcoffee-moves-into-the-fast-lane-39414545.html

Per Fingal's planning notices, Mango look to be opening a stand alone store where Clark's shoe shop used to be on upper level in Blanch SC (Unit 208 next to Fields jewellers). They had a concession store within BT2. Clark's had already relocated across the Mall a good while back.

Nice to see those upper floor vacant units starting to fill again. I also noticed last week that the travelators outside Debenhams are gone now and replaced by escalators. Workers were ripping up the fountain area as I passed by.

Hopefully they’re not going to replace the fountain area with space for tat stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

ongarboy wrote: »
    I also noticed last week that the travelators outside Debenhams are gone now and replaced by escalators. Workers were ripping up the fountain area as I passed by.
    I saw this too ...is this not also going to put a lot of pressure on the lifts for those with buggies/trolleys...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

fletch wrote: »
    I saw this too ...is this not also going to put a lot of pressure on the lifts for those with buggies/trolleys...

As far as I know they're putting lifts there too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

fletch wrote: »

That's what I thought aswell. People from Dunnes won't think to use the escalators that are at the exit of the store or when they do, a queue that for to get in will block or cause obstruction to those leaving the dunes its self. Not everybody parks in the green entrance, those who are in the blue use the travellators without any issue as it was no hassle regarding congestion. I think its a bit mad them replacing the travellators with the escalators. When its busy it will be like a bottle neck.

I think they're putting the bridge across the fountain space from the Debenhams side to the info desk-side

Also, has anyone noticed what a pain in the arse the updated SuperValue entrance is? They couldn't have picked a better time to make it an entrance/exit. It is such a small space and they have their flower stands and scanners there too. you have people stopping sanitize etc moving to the left-hand side to make way for people coming in behind them while blocking people who are leaving the store. Even without covid, its a bad decision

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Even without covid, its a bad decision
    Tesco's single door in/out is terrible, especially now.
    Before that, when they changed the checkouts, they removed the conveyor belt where scanned items go. Now the cashier has to push your items to the end and often don't.

Driving into town on N3 passing near the Junction 6 gym and noticed a big red Insomnia coffee sign next to the gym. I hadn't seen it before so presume it's a recently opened cafe.

• Advertisement

Is that the drive through one?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

Is that the drive through one?

Yep was there yesterday didn't go in but kids had a party in ship shape. It's quite small but there is an area for sitting too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There was always someone monitoring the travelators, presumably that cost is not something they want to keep carrying; at ~25 years old you'd be looking at replacing them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

L1011 wrote: »
    There was always someone monitoring the travelators, presumably that cost is not something they want to keep carrying

Why was that, granted they're long and you're positioned on them for longer but they're not nearly as dangerous as escalators which are steep and have sharp steps. Is it due to disability scooters, wheelchairs and people pushing laden down trolleys that might experience problems, even if they did I'm not sure what help the emergency stop would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Did the person monitoring it come in before or after that poor kid died in Dunnes on theirs?

Nijmegen wrote: »
    Did the person monitoring it come in before or after that poor kid died in Dunnes on theirs?

That kid died years ago and by all means Dunnes have done a great job at ensuring that area surrounding the escalators is completely sealed off but Iv never seen some monitoring them, yes security at their post at the entrance but nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

has Gr8 Indian restaurant in Ongar closed up shop? All curtains drawn etc.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The tragedy in Dunnes was on an escalator not a travelator; so I've no idea what made them decide they were more dangerous. I'd guess it was an insurance company request.

Could have just been that it was harder to encase than an escalator that would likely be a bit shorter.

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    has Gr8 Indian restaurant in Ongar closed up shop? All curtains drawn etc.

Did it actually reopen at all after the relaxation of the full lockdown? Drove by earlier and a couple of window panes smashed on side too. Looks unsightly.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I think part of the issue with the travelators was the amount of space it took up compared to an escalator. The space from outside Debenhams across to the customer service desk is vast but essentially an empty hole. With smaller escalator this can be reclaimed floorspace for more kiosk type units. I know I rrad something about it a while back but I can't remember where.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭VonLuck

L1011 wrote: »
    The tragedy in Dunnes was on an escalator not a travelator; so I've no idea what made them decide they were more dangerous. I'd guess it was an insurance company request.

Could have just been that it was harder to encase than an escalator that would likely be a bit shorter.

What was this incident people seem to be talking about? Never heard about it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

VonLuck wrote: »
    What was this incident people seem to be talking about? Never heard about it before.

A child sadly died having fallen from the escalator in Dunnes, after that all of the perspex protective screening was added.

17 years ago now, wow

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/boy-s-death-after-fall-in-shopping-centre-investigated-1.344243

Aldi to open four new stores within the next six months
    http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0827/1161604-four-new-aldi-stores-to-open/

Aldi opening in Blanchardstown SC in November according to this article today.

The Art of Coffee is opening a unit at Red Mall entrance next to Aldi. They have quite a few cafes in city centre that I've been to often and offer a good menu of sandwiches, hot dishes and soups so a nice addition to the centre.

I see "opening Spring 2021" hoarding has also been added for Hollister and Mango on two adjacent units opposite H&M/Butlers kiosk on the upper mall.

Great to see new activity despite the economic challenges at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭raheny red

Not sure if posted already but looks like Insomnia is going in where Debhenams was.

raheny red wrote: »
    Not sure if posted already but looks like Insomnia is going in where Debhenams was.

I actually think that was Insomnia planning to replace Valerie's patisserie within the department store before Debenham's sudden exit and the logos/posters were just left there. I doubt they'd open in isolation in an empty department store. I could be mistaken though.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

You're right ongarboy, those posters have been there since before Covid.

With L2 distancing you might be able to fit, oh, 3000 seats in the old Debenhams :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

ongarboy wrote: »
    The Art of Coffee is opening a unit at Red Mall entrance next to Aldi. They have quite a few cafes in city centre that I've been to often and offer a good menu of sandwiches, hot dishes and soups so a nice addition to the centre.

I see "opening Spring 2021" hoarding has also been added for Hollister and Mango on two adjacent units opposite H&M/Butlers kiosk on the upper mall.

Great to see new activity despite the economic challenges at the moment!

Art of Coffee a welcome addition. Their coffee is decent and they do some interesting soup/sandwiches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭ongarite

Dublin GAA purchase 22 acres on old Hollystown golf club for new sports campus.

Advertisement