Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hollywoodrath, Hollystown, Dublin 15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MegaC

Just a heads up many probably seen
    Large traveller camp at the roundabout at Pallas foods

Is that their long term residence?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

They broke into a field and set up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 paulholly20?

They look to have been moved on, security team all up and down that road now, good to see it was dealt with reasonably quickly

Separately, do residents of Hollywoodrath pay any management fees?

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭ra0044

A good few of the caravans ended up on the verge running down to the Educate Together School from the shops in Tyrrelstown just so you are aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

Separately, do residents of Hollywoodrath pay any management fees?

No

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Do people believe the €420K+ for a home in hollystown is justifiable? Honest question, obviously the area will hopefully grow more in the coming years.

At the minute it’s very hard to describe services/amenities if any within convenient distance. Nearly everything has to be driven to. You’re essentially in the back end of nowhere on Dublin/Meath border.

For that same money there would be a lot more attractive areas , but I guess that’s the market we live in where young families and first time buyers are desperate to get their home.

This is not a snipe! Would love to hear some property talk on how it’s a good investment, as I wouldn’t rule it out down the line myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Do people believe the €420K+ for a home in hollystown is justifiable? Honest question, obviously the area will hopefully grow more in the coming years.

At the minute it’s very hard to describe services/amenities if any within convenient distance. Nearly everything has to be driven to. You’re essentially in the back end of nowhere on Dublin/Meath border.

For that same money there would be a lot more attractive areas , but I guess that’s the market we live in where young families and first time buyers are desperate to get their home.

This is not a snipe! Would love to hear some property talk on how it’s a good investment, as I wouldn’t rule it out down the line myself.

I think it has been discussed up the thread - in Hollywoodrath there's a positive price per square foot comparison to buying in, say, Carpenterstown; plus the advantage of an A rated new (or near-new) build. I was looking at the market recently and this still holds true.

The current batch of 4 bed semi's in HWR at 1,564 square foot are going for €420k at the moment new - €268.54 per square foot. The €270 per square foot is about the range generally I've seen for the new and second hand houses in the estate of various types.

Go down to St Joseph's in Clonsilla and a brand new 4 bed semi-d at 1,338 square foot priced at €450k - €336.32 per square foot.

Looking 2nd hand but a much nicer location, Delwood - Walking distance to blanch village, Coolmine train station, the tesco at Roselawn, blanch center, lovely mature area. 2 examples, 21 Delwood Rd and 141 Delwood Close - about the same size of 1,338 - 1,388 square feet, priced about the same €500-510k. So call it €367.43 - €381.16 per square foot. Bearing in mind these are E-F rated homes and frankly many second hand homes in D15 require updating. Lot of executor sales.

Another good example might be 44 Roselawn Road, which is slightly better at €343.73 per square foot but again, E2 rated and needing some work done internally.

I won't even get into Castleknock prices - that's stuff north of the railway line but walking distance to amenities as you mention.

€70-100 per square foot is the difference in value, or about a 20-27% discount for a new build where your money is going straight into decorating a clean shell as you want it, not ripping out walls and figuring out you've got a bigger job on your hands.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Very true indeed, great points. So it’s a great long term investment. I don’t have any children yet with my partner we’re still young, but she would not move to hollystown at present “because there is nothing there”. I am trying to show how quickly some places change and build up in a short time, namely where we live now is a great example.

Yeah Castleknock is ridiculous. I know a couple in their early 30s with no kids who bought a 3 bed house in Castleknock last week for €700K .

I’m from the country originally so I would still be of the idea that if you can acquire a relatively cheap / discounted price of land, you can build yourself a fine house just the way you want it for less than both HWR and the other places you’ve mentioned .

But then where are you at!! Driving everywhere again. It’s a constant circle of head wrecking :D:D

Appreciate the input

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Very true indeed, great points. So it’s a great long term investment. I don’t have any children yet with my partner we’re still young, but she would not move to hollystown at present “because there is nothing there”. I am trying to show how quickly some places change and build up in a short time, namely where we live now is a great example.

Yeah Castleknock is ridiculous. I know a couple in their early 30s with no kids who bought a 3 bed house in Castleknock last week for €700K .

I’m from the country originally so I would still be of the idea that if you can acquire a relatively cheap / discounted price of land, you can build yourself a fine house just the way you want it for less than both HWR and the other places you’ve mentioned .

But then where are you at!! Driving everywhere again. It’s a constant circle of head wrecking :D:D

Appreciate the input

Yeah, Hollystown is developing fast. Glenveagh are launching a new development across the road from Hollywoodrath and on the other side the first release of Bay Meadows has people moving in. The road connections are great if you are a driver - N2 or N3 pretty accessible, as are a lot of the business parks that one might work in. Public transport is ok, a decent connection to the Luas at Broombridge for example, but absolutely if you want to walk out your door to a bus hub like the Blanch center is with a train station the same distance walk the other way, you'll pay for it now. There are plenty of schools and more planned and I believe more shops (and actually Tyrrelstown is pretty good with a Lidl, medium sized Supervalu, and a cracking off license if that's your thing...)

I think you're spot on in the value calculation. None of us can say where property prices will go, but all things being equal to the value of the market you'd expect Hollywoodrath to appreciate in value versus other places as it develops.

Buying a 3 bed or something pokey in Castleknock for huge money is my idea of hell. One thing I love about a new build is how the building regs of recent times have translated into spacious, bright and warm homes. But everyone is different!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 HarryRzf

Hi,

Currently looking at Hollywoodrath to purchase... Have been to view both 3 and 4 bed houses and while the houses are really lovely and spacious, I felt slightly deceived by what they described as 'high quality landscaped green areas' in their brochure. While green space does seem abundant and plentiful, it was disappointing to see the manner in which some of it has been left in. Apart from the entrances - both of which are well cared for (looked freshly cut and maintained) and the first stretch of Hollywoodrath Avenue from the entrance across from the new Bellingsmore development, the landscaping in a lot of the green areas is very disappointing. A shame when they consider this a strong selling point and actively promote it.

I drove in to have a look at the 4 bedroom show houses in Hollywoodrath Park (I think?) and all I could notice was how poorly maintained the green area in the cul de sac was -overgrown, snapped trees and rubbish/weeds all through the shrubs around the show houses. We walked along the avenue and it's like the developers have just completely given up on landscaping beyond where the park commences. It's evident along the Avenue where they just stopped planting trees and even the quality of the shrubs and grass that appears to have been planted by the builders seems to deteriorate as you go further into the estate.

If anyone here is a resident/potential resident - has this been an issue for anyone/caught anybody's attention?

The houses really seem lovely and there is a lot of space, but it almost feels like a bit of a let down having read the brochure and viewed other developments.

Also- was shocked to see the amount of rubbish around the park and playground. Totally get its summer and kids are making use of these facilities, but there was a bin overflowing with dumped household rubbish and bags of dog waste strewn around it at an entry point to the park, right in front of show houses!

Has rubbish been an issue for anyone in the estate?

It may sound quite negative, just disappointing to see things like rubbish and poor landscaping when it's an apparent selling point, in what is seemingly a fantastic estate and concerned about future deterioration when it's like this and quite new.

Would be grateful for anyone's feedback/insight on this.

Many Thanks,
    Harry.

• Advertisement

Re the landscaping, most developments are prettied up in time for selling and then eventually they're left in charge to the council. Estate agent brochure speak is wonderful - I remember an EA complaining bitterly to me one day about the hassle of poxy cobble lock and weeds, and later on that day they put an ad up for the property commenting on the "maintenance free cobble lock". Specifically in HWR I believe the landscaper changed when the first builder (not the developer) went bust and then during Covid they stopped some landscaping work cold and only recently returned to it.

To be honest the landscaping isn't really all that important to me as a buyer, but each to their own.

There was an issue with a bin in the park that I believe has been resolved - it's an issue associated with the estate still being managed by the developer, Regency, whilst they build and not being handed over to the council. They're pretty ok at a lot of things as developers go, but can be lax about things like that. There's also an issue as with any estate in people not bothering to secure their bins, particularly recycle bins, on windy days.

Generally speaking I'd say the estate and area has quite a positive first time buyer, young family type vibe with the odd teenage miscreant wandering over from across the way.

And the houses themselves are pretty fab.

Nijmegen wrote: »
    Re the landscaping, most developments are prettied up in time for selling and then eventually they're left in charge to the council. Estate agent brochure speak is wonderful - I remember an EA complaining bitterly to me one day about the hassle of poxy cobble lock and weeds, and later on that day they put an ad up for the property commenting on the "maintenance free cobble lock". Specifically in HWR I believe the landscaper changed when the first builder (not the developer) went bust and then during Covid they stopped some landscaping work cold and only recently returned to it.

To be honest the landscaping isn't really all that important to me as a buyer, but each to their own.

There was an issue with a bin in the park that I believe has been resolved - it's an issue associated with the estate still being managed by the developer, Regency, whilst they build and not being handed over to the council. They're pretty ok at a lot of things as developers go, but can be lax about things like that. There's also an issue as with any estate in people not bothering to secure their bins, particularly recycle bins, on windy days.

Generally speaking I'd say the estate and area has quite a positive first time buyer, young family type vibe with the odd teenage miscreant wandering over from across the way.

And the houses themselves are pretty fab.
    Thanks for the fast response Nijmegen.

I would fully expect any developer or agent to make an attempt to pretty an estate up at time of buying and agree that attention is focused around show houses, was just a bit shocked to see how poorly kept even the show houses are at the moment. I didn't think I would be so fussed about landscaping either until I saw how poorly maintained parts of it were. I guess my concern would be if it's like that now, how will it look in 3 or 4 years.

Also, in comparison to other new build estates in surrounding areas like The Willows in Dunshaughlin (4bed 380k), Churchfields in Ashbourne, Dun Rioga Dunshaughlin (€330k 3 bed), Prieststown Kilbride (420k 4 bed) all of which are arguably as spacious and impressive... all are a lot better maintained and some are far better connected to larger towns. Would just make me wonder about Hollywoodrath.

As a resident how do you find it? I don't commute to the city, work from home 70% of the time (location relative to workplace isn't important). I guess I just need somewhere close to decent amenities!

Also - one other thing I noticed and was surprised to see were two abandoned cars with flat tires dumped on paths in the estate and made me wonder about the issue of parking if there's visitors etc. - is it usually quite busy with cars parked on paths and roads?

HarryRzf wrote: »
    Thanks for the fast response Nijmegen.

I would fully expect any developer or agent to make an attempt to pretty an estate up at time of buying and agree that attention is focused around show houses, was just a bit shocked to see how poorly kept even the show houses are at the moment. I didn't think I would be so fussed about landscaping either until I saw how poorly maintained parts of it were. I guess my concern would be if it's like that now, how will it look in 3 or 4 years.

Also, in comparison to other new build estates in surrounding areas like The Willows in Dunshaughlin (4bed 380k), Churchfields in Ashbourne, Dun Rioga Dunshaughlin (€330k 3 bed), Prieststown Kilbride (420k 4 bed) all of which are arguably as spacious and impressive... all are a lot better maintained and some are far better connected to larger towns. Would just make me wonder about Hollywoodrath.

As a resident how do you find it? I don't commute to the city, work from home 70% of the time (location relative to workplace isn't important). I guess I just need somewhere close to decent amenities!

Also - one other thing I noticed and was surprised to see were two abandoned cars with flat tires dumped on paths in the estate and made me wonder about the issue of parking if there's visitors etc. - is it usually quite busy with cars parked on paths and roads?

No worries and all relevant concerns.

I think many of the common areas are reasonable and then a lot of the character of the estate will come from how people maintain their own gardens and space. And I have to remark that there are quite a few green thumbs living in the estate who make a real effort with their front gardens, hanging flowers, nice lights etc etc (puts me to shame, frankly!) I walk around the estate frequently and find it quite pleasant.

I think this also speaks to the quality of neighbor - people by and large who take pride in their homes and make an effort and are committed to creating some community.

In terms of location I think those you mention are just that bit further out from Dublin or a main hub like Blanchardstown. In Hollywoodrath there are decent public transport links eg to the Luas (not as frequent as some would like but IMO proportante to the amount of people who live here.) It is a car-required area as would the ones you speak of so I guess it'll come down to personal choice. If you're working from home most of the time you really are in a fortunate position to pick from a wider selection of available properties.

I haven't noticed any abandoned cars, perhaps just residents stuck at home and not all that bothered about their cars!

Great, thanks again Nijmegen for the response!

Agree 100% about pride and community.... and that's the slight concern I guess I have with what I've seen about how some aspects of the estate don't really seem to be cared for in the first instance by developers or even the estate agents, will others care about it in the long run.

It is a fortunate position to be in to have the choice regarding location.

I'm sure I'll be in touch again with more questions/queries!

Thanks.
    Harry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 dasaievcastro

Hey.

Last week I visited 3 bed houses in Hollywoodrath and I loved the space and the place. However they didn't inform when they will launch the next houses. Does anyone knows when this new phase will be available?

Thanks.
    Dasaiev

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Archie2020

Hey.

Last week I visited 3 bed houses in Hollywoodrath and I loved the space and the place. However they didn't inform when they will launch the next houses. Does anyone knows when this new phase will be available?

Thanks.
    Dasaiev
    October I beleive

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Yurple

This is probably a really stupid question but we want to buy a house soon and saving up for the deposit now but want to start looking around to see what budget we need. We would love to visit a show house to see how it actually looks instead of looking at photos.

My stupid question is... can you just drive to the show house and walk in or do you need to make an appointment and have a mortgage application / letter to show them?

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

Yurple wrote: »
    This is probably a really stupid question but we want to buy a house soon and saving up for the deposit now but want to start looking around to see what budget we need. We would love to visit a show house to see how it actually looks instead of looking at photos.

My stupid question is... can you just drive to the show house and walk in or do you need to make an appointment and have a mortgage application / letter to show them?

No letter or other form of proof of funds needed.

It used to be that you just wandered in, but since the onset of COVID, I suspect appointments are needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 spicebagnoveg

Appointments are definitely needed. I recommend you contact Knight Frank, they got back to me within the same day to organise a viewing within the week, so it was fairly quick.

Here's what we noticed from viewing the 3 bedroom terrace;

Living Room - Okay size, large windows, double doors leading to kitchen has glass panels so it's very bright
    Kitchen/Dining - Very generously spaced, lots of room for movement, large double doors leading to the back garden
    En-suite bedroom - Spacious, simple layout, built in wardrobe with a lot of storage

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭085andym

I contacted jennifer in mcpeakes and she got back to me straight away we didn't need proof of mortgage application when we went to view the show houses last week. We're still waiting for mortgage approval and there was no problem. Other places we emailed were looking for approval in principle letters and proof of funds for the deposit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Yurple

085andym wrote: »
    I contacted jennifer in mcpeakes and she got back to me straight away we didn't need proof of mortgage application when we went to view the show houses last week. We're still waiting for mortgage approval and there was no problem. Other places we emailed were looking for approval in principle letters and proof of funds for the deposit.

Thanks! I contacted her as well. Waiting to hear back now. I wonder how many of the showhouses you can visit? Do you need to make an appointment for each different version?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 spicebagnoveg

Yurple wrote: »
    Thanks! I contacted her as well. Waiting to hear back now. I wonder how many of the showhouses you can visit? Do you need to make an appointment for each different version?

From our viewing experience(Knight Frank), we were shown the terraced and end of terrace.

The agent was waiting inside the other end of terrace(side entrance house model) which we were not offered to view. All the homes were 3 bedroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Varatha

Hi Folks, I was enquiring about the last remaining 5 bed house in this development and unfortunately that's been deposit received. The 5 bed house looks great due to the extra space and large back garden. Wondering if anyone knows if there a plan to launch the next phase. The planning permission says total number of 332 residential units, wondering if it's all built out? Appreciate any insights about the next launch. Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭085andym

Yurple wrote:

No she shows your both show houses which are next to each other the mid terrace and end of terrace with side access as she called it.. its the one with the front door around the side of the house she also let us into the other end of terrace house which is the same layout as the mid terrace inside but it has a side entrance and more windows as it's a semi d. That one isn't a show house so it's bare but she was just letting us see the difference with the windows on the side of the house

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭frazenator

Varatha wrote: »
    Hi Folks, I was enquiring about the last remaining 5 bed house in this development and unfortunately that's been deposit received. The 5 bed house looks great due to the extra space and large back garden. Wondering if anyone knows if there a plan to launch the next phase. The planning permission says total number of 332 residential units, wondering if it's all built out? Appreciate any insights about the next launch. Thanks in advance!

Don’t think any more 5 beds are going to be built. Search the planning permission and you will find all details.

Hey Folks,
    Couple of questions
    What kind of hob comes with the kitchens? Is it electric ring, ceramic or induction?

Also, Any pushback from home insurers?
    Heard an issue recently of some people I know a couple of miles up the road Kilbride direction who were having difficulty getting cover due to a flood issue

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

There's been no flooding issues at all in the area where there's houses , not quite sure where that's coming from?

Thanks Hurrache,

Due to move in on next phase completion, just firing out questions on anything I can think of.
    Some home insurers can blacklist areas based on Known geographic Issues, I.e flood zones or other issues

Anyway,thanks for the re-assurance

Can anyone recommend a good surveyor for snaglisting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Lj2133

Hi,

We have just bought a house in the Close. Can someone please add me into the whats app group and is there a Facebook group? I can’t seem to find it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Casper784

Hi I am buying 4 bed detached house but knight frank has nothing to show 4 bed detached.they showed me 4 bed semi ? Anyone comment abt 4 bed Detached differences,room sizes etc also area to live ?comments /help highly appreciated.

Advertisement