Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Domestic solar electricity

Options
  • 14-04-2006 9:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭

Is the following possible and cost effective in Ireland today?
    I'm building a new house and want to use green energy. Gonna probably go timber frame, with wood pellet system for space and water heating. What I want to know is, Can I use solar power to supply electricity to the house, i.e. power appliances, power sockets and lights, as opposed to the solar panels approved recently in the Gov grants which only provide hot water / heating. I want to power and heat the house using only wood pellet heat system and Solar converted into usable electricity. I know the ESB will block any grant for these types of solar converters but was wondering where I get them and how much they cost as I really want to do away with ESB bills and Gas bills. It’s not a big house, 3 bedroom 96 sq metres.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

PV alone is not a practical option for Ireland as our daylight hours in winter are too low.
    Do you have the space for a wind generator or do you perhaps live on a steep hill with a stream or river nearby (micro hydro)?
    A combined wind / pv solution could be quite usable but it will be quite expensive unless you are the DIY type.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭macraignil

Hi,
    I have been looking at solar panel prices for a number of years and they are getting cheaper. There will be a time when the cost will be low enough for installing them to make sense. The ESB have offered a grid tie system where you can take power from the national grid when you do not produce enough solar power to meet your needs. This saves on having to buy batteries to store your own electricity. Using energy efficient appliences and fittings would lead to less electric demand and a cheaper solar system to meet those needs. Cooking with gas or solid fuel could also make a substantial diference. [snip]
    All the best.
    Rob

[Modnote]No shilling allowed[endnote]

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ggsolar ireland

Would anyone know of a top electrician to swap out an inverter for me. I’ve a new phocos all grid to replace the solis hybrid inverter. All help much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Flipperdipper

Is the following possible and cost effective in Ireland today?
    I'm building a new house and want to use green energy. Gonna probably go timber frame, with wood pellet system for space and water heating.

The main problem that I see with pellets is that you're relying on someone else to produce them and sell them to you at a reasonable cost. Also, you do not know what the pellets are treated with and whether the wood is local, Irish or imported. I'd be more inclined to look into wood chip, which you can make yourself for a relatively low price, or one of those boilers that take whole logs about 2 foot long.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you're responding to a 14 year old question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Flipperdipper

you're responding to a 14 year old question.

OOPS ! :o:o:D

Advertisement