Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Getting optioned

• 05-08-2020 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

My self-published novel may be optioned soon by a US-based movie/TV producer. I know the option fees are tiny, but I'm looking for advice from anyone who has been down this road.

I have a contact who is basically a fan of the book who works in the movie business who has pitched it to producers. I presume that this guy will ask to be cut in as an "agent" (and he's earned a cut for sure) or perhaps an executive producer.

Any idea what sort of % that an agent or EP would be cut in on, or would they cut their own deal with the producer separate to mine?

If it ends up happening I'll be engaging a entertainment lawyer of some kind, but just wanted to see if any of the other writers here had any insight.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭km85264

I hope the option works out for you and develops into a movie. You should check out the Writers' and Artists' yearbook for advice. If you can engage an agent you're better off as they will understand what you can and can't expect at this stage; at this early stage there may not be any interest among agents but it can't hurt to ask. The general experience seems to be that trying to negotiate these things by yourself is a minefield.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Thanks KM.

The contact in the US has quite frankly done all the work to get this far (other than write the book!) so I'll probably cut them in as agent or use a local agent they recommend (as they are already a long-standing writer of hollywood movies in their own right).

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭km85264

Yeah, if they can recommend a local agent that's all the better, though somebody familiar with the international implications is important, but definitely worth pursuing an agent; lots of people have found themselves signing away rights they weren't aware of and then being unable to get out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Livvie

Well done, and look forward to hearing that we'll soon be able to watch it as well as read it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Do you want to share a link to your book 3DataModem?

• Advertisement

Sure: http://mybook.to/victorgreen

(this mybook link will bring you to your local amazon, in Ireland it'll link you to the UK site)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

well done OP

Well, the update is I'm getting a "shopping agreement" - two writer/producers are going to break it down to a series and shop it around the streaming production companies. It means if a deal appears, I can negotiate my own deal (as can the writer/producers) rather than being locked into an option contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

3DataModem wrote: »
    Well, the update is I'm getting a "shopping agreement" - two writer/producers are going to break it down to a series and shop it around the streaming production companies. It means if a deal appears, I can negotiate my own deal (as can the writer/producers) rather than being locked into an option contract.
    fair dues

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

3DataModem wrote: »

That's brilliant.

• Advertisement
Advertisement