Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ARCTIC MC001-N ~ MultiMedia Barebone PC - €114.95 Delivered. [Amazon.de]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

All the changes that you make in the GUI (ie toggling audio settings etc) are stored in the guisettings.xml file in the userdata folder. Delete that file if you want to reset to default (access it from a Windows machine). It only affects settings you have changed in the GUI.

Although it shouldn't be necessary, the available audio settings are pretty limited and self explanatory.

There's only two settings pages that should affect audio, one is under Video>Playback, and the other is under System>Audio Output.

Cheers, knew there had to be an easy enough way of resetting to defaults.

Just in case anyone else has a similar issue, I *think* it's sorted - I set the audio output settings as per this post on the openelec forums, and from the limited checking I've done since sound seems to be back to normal, fingers crossed.

Do-more wrote: »
    Yes but you bought the OpenElec Limited edition bundle that included a remote.

If I'm not mistaken TheIrishGrover bought two barebones units and got remotes as a bonus.

Ah, good point. I've been popping between this and other threads about the limited edition version, lost track of what I was talking about :o
    (Not that I ever knew in the first place)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

How easy is it to seat the RAM into this?

I have this RAM but I don't think I can get it seated.

I get 3 beeps from the mobo when I turn it on.

Edit - Never mind, I just wasn't forceful enough. Seated now.

Edit 2 - Why can't I access the BIOS? When I press Del on the splash screen it doesn't bring me into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭toddunctious

Makaveli wrote: »
    Why can't I access the BIOS? When I press Del on the splash screen it doesn't bring me into it.

make sure you plug the keyboard into the back usb port

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭tony1980

I picked up my SSD on adverts for €30, will hopefully get a chance to install it this evening.

I also made a start at the central MYSQL server, its not that complicated actually. The instructions on the XBMC wiki are really good (so far :) )

Also my xbox media remote (that i got with my €10 HDDVD drive.. that thing just pays for itself!) seems to work great out of the box with openelec , I was able to navigate the menus perfectly with it anyways.

How do you set up that remote to work with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

tony1980 wrote: »

Works out of the box so to speak. No configuration necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

jacksonn72 wrote: »
    I have decided to go for the Intel NUC

Dabs have everything apart from the wireless card... Anyone any ideas where to get it? Ebay sellers all US based. Surely someone in Ireland stocks it? Its the Centrino Advanced-N 6235

Thanks again, fantastic thread this :-)
    I got a Centrino 6230 on ebay for cheap. Be warned that the NUC is not without its issues. Intel have only just issued a BIOS update getting around a problem whereby many people (myself included) could not access the BIOS. Several reports of HDMI interference causing havoc with ethernet traffic. Not sure if this has been sorted. Reviews of thunderbolt equipped unit reported wireless card overheated the hard drive causing file transfer problems. Haven't seen users reporting this though. I think it suffers general heat issues too as the latest BIOS sets the fan to run at a minimum 40% all the time.

The main difference is that the TV tuner works. I wouldn't notice if the boot time is quicker or not.

Yes there is a small bit of setup. I used the TVheadend client. You need to connect to the TVheadend backend from a web browser (on another machine) - x.x.x.x:9981 where xxxx is the IP address of your OpenElec box.

From there you need to
    -enable the tuner (under Config > TV adaptor),
    -add DVB Network by location (choose the nearest site, I used Two Rock)
    -wait until the 'MapDVB channels to location' button goes green and then press it

There's probably a few other steps, I was just following my nose and figuring it out as I went along. I will do a proper guide tomorrow if people are still having trouble.

Im stuck at this stage of setting up TVHeadend.

-wait until the 'MapDVB channels to location' button goes green and then press it - This hasn't become available to select, it says Muxes awaiting initial scan are at 1. I left it for an hour and came back and it hadn't changed, never went to 0 and it says 0% signal strength and 0 services. Any advice?

It now says muxes awaiting initial scan 0 but services = 0 and signal strength changes between 15% and 0% and map dvb services to channels isn't available to choose yet.

It now says muxes awaiting initial scan 0 but services = 0 and signal strength changes between 15% and 0% and map dvb services to channels isn't available to choose yet.
    You're not using the piddly little antenna that came with it are you?

That's plugged into it alright, what one are you using, this is all new to me!..lol

• Advertisement

That's plugged into it alright, what one are you using, this is all new to me!..lol

The aerial that comes with it is awful small. Try some bunny ears if you have them lying around but an outdoor antenna may be required depending on your location.

You could ask in the TV forum if you want more specific advice:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=56

• Registered Users Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Are you using Open Elec or windows?

It just worked straight away in OpenElec

In windows you need to make a registry edit:

Details here
    After that I went to programs and enabled MCE control and it worked.

Performance of Windows 7 64bit on mine is really bad, maybe i need to get a better version or something. I need to get to the bottom of it. I have the 12.1 version of Catalyst Mobility installed but the performance of the windows desktop is almost like I dont have the drivers installed! (Dragging windows around is jerky)

I set up the shared Library at the weekend in the windows version of XBMC. I don't know if its because of my other performance issues im having but it is dog slow! Its unusable the way it is at the moment.

I went whole hog and put the thumbnails on the server too. Maybe it would be better if the thumbnails were local.

Arctic was connected to the server using a 200mb home plug.

I'll try setting it up on openElec this evening and see is it any better.

Are you using Open Elec or windows?

It just worked straight away in OpenElec

In windows you need to make a registry edit:

Details here
    After that I went to programs and enabled MCE control and it worked.

Performance of Windows 7 64bit on mine is really bad, maybe i need to get a better version or something. I need to get to the bottom of it. I have the 12.1 version of Catalyst Mobility installed but the performance of the windows desktop is almost like I dont have the drivers installed! (Dragging windows around is jerky)

I set up the shared Library at the weekend in the windows version of XBMC. I don't know if its because of my other performance issues im having but it is dog slow! Its unusable the way it is at the moment.

I went whole hog and put the thumbnails on the server too. Maybe it would be better if the thumbnails were local.

Arctic was connected to the server using a 200mb home plug.

I'll try setting it up on openElec this evening and see is it any better.

I am using Openelec, got it working, not too sure what was wrong initially but its fine now and I have to say it is a fantastic remote with this, very easy to use. Trying to set everything up to be user friendly for the missus, this remote definitely helps! Think I will give sickbeard, utorrent and a NAS a go next!

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭D Hayes

I got my MC001-E recently. I've connected it to a VGA monitor and a keyboard via usb (using a usb connection on the back).

However, the keyboard does not light up. I can't view anything on the screen initially - but after a couple of minutes, I get the white Arctic screen.

Am I missing a step here?

I've installed RAM and HDD.

Am I missing a step here?

What steps have you taken?

What steps have you taken?

- I've put in the RAM, put in the HDD, plugged it in.
    - I've connected a monitor, keyboard and mouse.
    - I've powered it up and the blue light comes on.
    - A message pops up on the monitor saying that it there is no device connected.
    - No lights appear on the keyboard and mouse doesn't work.
    - After a few minutes, the white Arctic screen appears, but I can't do anything.

- I've put in the RAM, put in the HDD, plugged it in.
    - I've connected a monitor, keyboard and mouse.
    - I've powered it up and the blue light comes on.
    - A message pops up on the monitor saying that it there is no device connected.
    - No lights appear on the keyboard and mouse doesn't work.
    - After a few minutes, the white Arctic screen appears, but I can't do anything.

You don't have any OS so what should happen is that you will get a message saying no boot device connected.

Is this the message you are getting, or do you mean you are getting a monitor message saying no display device connected?

If you hold down the DEL key immediately after powering it up, can you get into the BIOS screen? (if you can, don't change anything yet)

The message I'm getting on the monitor is not from the PC. It's along the lines of "No input signal going to sleep".

The message I'm getting on the monitor is not from the PC. It's along the lines of "No input signal going to sleep".
    That doesnt sound good. It may be a hardware problem.

The things I would try are just the obvious processes of elimination:
    -different display device (most TVs have a VGA input)
    -different output (HDMI)
    -different cable
    -etc

Reset the BIOS using the CMOS jumper (do you know how?).

I would remove the HDD to rule that out, and if you have two sticks of ram then I would try each one on their own in alternate slots, again just as a process of elimination.

But from the sounds of it, it may be a motherboard/GPU issue. Because even without any HDD or input device, you should still get the text prompt telling you no boot device detected.

Reports of hardware issues are far too common on the MC001 for my liking, I suspect that is why they were letting them go so cheap.

Thanks for the trouble-shooting tips. I'll try those later today and let you know how I get on.

• Advertisement

I would remove the HDD to rule that out.

You were spot on. The HDD from my old laptop was at fault. Used a new one and it's up and running. Just installed Windows 8 and will download XBMC now.

Thanks very much for your help earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Don't put the last version of Android PC near this...

:(:(

I had hell with simple things.. But it works great on some old laptops.
    May also work great on newer ones, but i was happy with using it on old, defunct ones.

I created 4 + 3 partitions.. :o to mess around with, and Android PC was on one of them... Jaysis... I had to wipe the whole lot.
    (Although i did get some great features running, and controlled the lot with a samsung galaxy ace for a while, before problems kicked in)

It wasn't the amount of partitions, because i did the same with less amount, and different OS's..

I'm having issues with wifi on my MC001-E with Windows 8. My ISP is Eircom and the PC doesn't have the router in its list of available networks. There are two nearby UPC networks available, which it displays. My Eircom router uses WPA-personal - not sure if that has something to do with it?

Edit: People are having similar issues with Eircom Routers in this thread. I'm going go through these tips later this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭jfk247

can anyone help....
    i've been plugging away at my arctic box most of the night trying to get the audio to play through the HDMI. I've got Ubuntu 12.04 running connecting to the tv via the standard hdmi cable. i can get the audio to play through analog ok and i've tried using pulseaudio and alsamixer as per other searches i've found on the webs.
    i've even tried to run the drivers they provided on the cd (knew it wouldnt work but its late....)
    here is a screen shot of my audio settings as you can see no hdmi in the output area.

http://tinypic.com/r/18duh3/6

i know others have had similar issues but i just cant get mine to work....any advise???

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

jfk247 wrote: »
    I've even tried to run the drivers they provided on the cd knew it wouldnt work but its late....

It is late.. I can't find any problems on mine running linux mint..

But this may help?

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=143146

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

Anyone selling thiers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Anyone selling thiers?

Ditto..... Been watching Amazon.de like a hawk the last few weeks but no sign of it becoming available again :(

ArthurG wrote: »
    Ditto..... Been watching Amazon.de like a hawk the last few weeks but no sign of it becoming available again :(

The are for sale in the states so if I dont have any luck here I might get someone to take one back for me

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭JHet

A lot of people are saying the Intel NUC might be a great alternative to these boxes. A bit more expensive though @ around €170. If the intels come down another 50 quid I'd say you'll see another thread like this on them.

• Advertisement

JHet wrote: »
    A lot of people are saying the Intel NUC might be a great alternative to these boxes. A bit more expensive though @ around €170. If the intels come down another 50 quid I'd say you'll see another thread like this on them.

No dedicated graphics though, uses the integrated graphics on the intel chips

Advertisement