Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eglington Asylum, Cork (May 08)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭keiran110

Rb wrote: »
    Is it being turned into apartments? It's an absolutely beautiful building with quite a bit of interesting history, as it would seem, it would a shame if it were just flung to developers for the highest price and turned into the latest in the slew of "modern" apartments.

Half it already has been converted into apartments. I viewed one in there and it was very eerie. It was all stone, high ceilings and cold. Not a typical place one would want to live! so i moved to the better and modern newly built apartments behind it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

Ricky91t wrote: »
    If anyone did go up here in the end I'd love to see some pics..Saw it from a friends apartment recently and we went up and had a look outside(didn't go in) was dark and very eerie but looks like a very cool building!

Sadly I havent been in there (only seen it from a distance-ish) but my sis and her friends were in there a few times before. I think it was sort of late 2008. Theyve said it's completely locked up and boarded up now. Shame. I have some photos they sent me of the inside of it but the thing is, they were all taken at night. Better than nothing anyway..

picture.php?pictureid=4559&albumid=854&dl=1262378155&thumb=1

picture.php?pictureid=4558&albumid=854&dl=1262378155&thumb=1 picture.php?pictureid=4557&albumid=854&dl=1262378155&thumb=1 picture.php?pictureid=4556&albumid=854&dl=1262376370&thumb=1 picture.php?pictureid=4555&albumid=854&dl=1262376370&thumb=1 picture.php?pictureid=4554&albumid=854&dl=1262376370&thumb=1
    picture.php?pictureid=4558&albumid=854&dl=1262378155&thumb=1 picture.php?pictureid=4557&albumid=854&dl=1262378155&thumb=1 picture.php?pictureid=4556&albumid=854&dl=1262376370&thumb=1 picture.php?pictureid=4558&albumid=854&dl=1262378155&thumb=1

picture.php?pictureid=4557&albumid=854&dl=1262378155&thumb=1

picture.php?pictureid=4556&albumid=854&dl=1262376370&thumb=1

picture.php?pictureid=4555&albumid=854&dl=1262376370&thumb=1

picture.php?pictureid=4554&albumid=854&dl=1262376370&thumb=1 I think this last photo is supposed to be inside the former main front entrance. They said there are a few steps leading up to it outside,which are now blocked off

Damn, duplicates. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 smithalan2

The red bricked building and another grey building somewhere on the grounds both have ways to get in. I only had a small look inside a grey building since its hard enough to get into but its still pretty intact inside apart from everything in there thrown about the place , intrestingly enough we found a phone on a desk inside there that still had a dialtone :eek:.

The red building is creepy and depressing and very dangerous to get into due to holes on the roof you walk over to get in and broken glass everywhere. Everything in there is thrown around the place as well , The floor of one room in there is also tiled with used syringes... , Also at the very top floor ( It's like a kids ward or something due to the painting on the walls ) There was a sandpit , jigsaws , diary entries , and a water feature full of water , weather those things were planted there or are there from the days it was open i'm not sure.

The 2nd time i went there , after coming out we had a welcoming party of 4 Gardaí , They were'nt very upset at us being there however they did search us for drugs etc... but just told us to leave when they found we had nothing on us and had just came up there to explore. Besides from the Gardaí on our second visit there was no sign of any security at all and also no sign of other people.

Another very intresting place , which is possibly scarier than St. Annes is Fort Camdon , in Crosshaven Co.Cork , Its an abandoned army base.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭keiran110

yeah the police are forever up here. they seem to just spin around and then leave. its usually the drug squad too but ive seen the armoured response unit here!! the old part of the grey building (the unrenovated part) is full of junkies aparantly you see so i imagine some of those syringes you found were fairly fresh.
    Ive yet to see any junkies anyway and Ive walked up to my apartment so many times in the early hours of the morning after a few drinks at a friends house or whatever. Probably not the best of ideas.
    heres a place for you. if you go up the road leading up to the asylum and keep going up the hill, to your left you`l see a track where people walk there dogs and whatever, its up a hill. it leads to a field behind the whole area. but theres an unguarded manhole thats been broken open and theres maybe a 16 foot drop down into a small bit of running water. not too exciting but the thing is theres a rope tied to a anchored point and leading down into the man whole, looks like its been used a few times too.
    i wouldnt fancy going down myself but it looks like it could be laugh

• Advertisement

smithalan2 wrote: »
    Another very intresting place , which is possibly scarier than St. Annes is Fort Camdon , in Crosshaven Co.Cork , Its an abandoned army base.

There are two sets of iron gates outside the main entrance of that. A ladder comes in handy.

But there is an alternative way in there - go down the back of the soccer pitch and out on to a little dirt path that's on a steep incline that eventually leads you down to the sea. You turn off the path about a quarter of the way down.

Probably best explored during the daylight. :)

[...] another grey building somewhere on the grounds both have ways to get in. I only had a small look inside a grey building since its hard enough to get into but its still pretty intact inside apart from everything in there thrown about the place , intrestingly enough we found a phone on a desk inside there that still had a dialtone :eek:.

I've been updated on this place recently - there's a narrow window about three-quarters of the way down that you can climb through that will lead you into the main, unrenovated part of the building. There's also an easier way in around the back. I wont elaborate on that too much because Im aware of the ilk that the place attracts.

It's a pity that it's just mostly clowns who are goin up there just to get twatted.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭woytek_tzn

silverstealth is my hero,but how he went inside the church ffs !
    ropes?there's tree next to it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 KatieO'D2k9

KevH wrote: »
    Katie,

Going by the other threads......a night up there sounds a bit too scarey.....there are meant to be junkies and undesirables hanging about up there at night!!!

If however anyone is interested in going up there during the day for a wander around inside....take some photos etc, please drop me a note...I'm hoping to go up there in the next couple of weeks

Kev
    Oh don't worry. It wasn't me who wanted to spend the night there! I don't think I'd make it put alive! Haha! No it was a friend of mine who wanted to go up there. Yeah I've actually seen people up there myself. Trying to get in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 KatieO'D2k9

woytek_tzn wrote: »
    silverstealth is my hero,but how he went inside the church ffs !
    ropes?there's tree next to it...

I was in the church. Didn't like the feel of it. Very eerie! A friend of mine went in close to the sarcastry and there was another door but he didn't go in that far. He didn't like the feel of it at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭woytek_tzn

I was in the church. Didn't like the feel of it. Very eerie! A friend of mine went in close to the sarcastry and there was another door but he didn't go in that far. He didn't like the feel of it at all.

how did you get in the church ffs? I was there,cool place,I was in Magdaleine's Laundries here in Cork and imo that's the strangest place when it comes to atmosphere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭veryrandom

These are amazing pics, is it hard to get access?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭StereoLove

The red bricked building and another grey building somewhere on the grounds both have ways to get in. I only had a small look inside a grey building since its hard enough to get into but its still pretty intact inside apart from everything in there thrown about the place , intrestingly enough we found a phone on a desk inside there that still had a dialtone :eek:.

The red building is creepy and depressing and very dangerous to get into due to holes on the roof you walk over to get in and broken glass everywhere. Everything in there is thrown around the place as well , The floor of one room in there is also tiled with used syringes... , Also at the very top floor ( It's like a kids ward or something due to the painting on the walls ) There was a sandpit , jigsaws , diary entries , and a water feature full of water , weather those things were planted there or are there from the days it was open i'm not sure.

The 2nd time i went there , after coming out we had a welcoming party of 4 Gardaí , They were'nt very upset at us being there however they did search us for drugs etc... but just told us to leave when they found we had nothing on us and had just came up there to explore. Besides from the Gardaí on our second visit there was no sign of any security at all and also no sign of other people.

Was it possible to see what the diary entries said?

how did you get in the church ffs? I was there,cool place,I was in Magdaleine's Laundries here in Cork and imo that's the strangest place when it comes to atmosphere.
    The door was open when I was there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ail440

If going into St kevins (if you can get in) be careful in there as there was recently a fire there and it's now in worse state than ever. As a kid I remember waiting for my dad who was on the nursing staff for a time in the sunshine cafe. The colourful glass made it seem really nice to me. Perhaps that's why those buildings don't creep me out at all. I was there the day that the grey building was filmed for far and away. Dont think Tom and Nicole were there though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mezz26

hi just read your quote cant even imagine how awful it was for u! glad your okay now. I am tracing my family tree and my grandmother was born at this hospital in 1923 im thinking maybe her mother was resident here any further info would be really appreciated:)
    kitty29 wrote: »
    Hiya :-)

Thought i'd leave a quick msg to this. Firstly as you say when it closed in 1988 i think you may be reffering to the grey part of the building, that right? Some sections of the red brick building (St Kevins) was opened up until (now i'm not 100% which year it closed) at least 1998 so i'm guessing that part closed around 2000. From what i've heard conditions in the grey building (called St ita's 1 and 2 i think amongst other names) were far more appalling than the red brick right up until its closure. Nonetheless, conditions in St Kevins were pretty appalling too particularly given that it was open until around 2000-thats not a long time ago. This was a place where upto 10 women (i only know about the womens ward) lived and slept in a pretty small ward. one room was where one would get locked into for any number of reasons- usually for being agressive or a bit 'mad'- not always necessarily against themselves or others. This was a pretty grim room with only a bed (i suppose its better than just a matress!) and the door had a big window made of perspex (or something like that) so you could see out and see in. The toilets often had no toilet paper, there was no locks on the toilet doors for obvious reasons- and one experience i had while going to the toilet, was when a woman came in and tried to choke herself with a pair of tights (dont think its possible but she was so full of anxiety), people were trying to do stuff to themselves all the time- a lot of it i feel was because of the sheer boredom and frustration that place did to a person. The nurses station which was completely covered is where a lot of the nurses stayed inside all day. When someone wanted a cigerette they opened a latch and lit a lighter. Not all nurses were like this (there were extremely caring ones too) but the majority were-I honestly dont think they saw the patients as 'humans', all their dignity, respect, rights were taken away once they entered that place. There were many instances of cockroaches on the floor. Once or twice the bed room had to be fumagated due to beg bugs. From my own experience of being in there for a year and half i always found the experience of being in there harder to overcome than my depression etc. This may sound bad but i also felt i was the sanest person in there-my only 'crime' (i like to call it copping mechanism) was to hurt myself-it could be compared to an addiction. I will never forget the people i met in there who once you looked past how they were acting were amazing people. Some had been put into our ladys many yrs before that and in effect probabbly were institutionalized. they never recieved the right support (note i use support rather than help), they were treated so horribly, drugged upto their eyeballs continiously so that are controlled, not dealing with whats underneath all this anger,pain, hurt. I was on about 15+ tablets at one stage-how was that supposed to help. What really makes me mad is the fact that i was only just turned 17 when i went in there. I got a lot worse before i got better and it certainly was not down to my twice a week 10 minute abrupt insensitive visit from my consultant psychiatrist- it mostly certainly was a combination of support from one or two amazing compassionate nurses,psychologist who taught me the skills to learn how to talk about things and how to cry, the never ending incredible support of my family and of course my own determination and hard work. i took myself off my medication a month or two after i got out and have never needed/taken it again and thats a bit over 10 years ago. anways i think i ended up giving a bit of a rant there

• Registered Users Posts: 6 emmab353

does anyone on here know of anyone who used to work or was a patient in Our ladys hospital and st kevins in Cork? i am currently doing a project in college on the building and would love to talk to someone who has first hand knowledge of the place.

thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭aoife1991

Isn't Fort Camden being restored now? I know that at present it is closed for the winter. I've heard that there's a lot of drinking goes on down there and there can be quite a few scumbags hanging around! :confused: Not sure but that's what I've heard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 NeonTiger

Is there any chance of getting into the red brick in cork now? I want to do a photography project there but dont want to be trespassing... maybe theres a caretaker or someone I could ask first??

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭aoife1991

You can ask the HSE, they own the premises but you will be waiting a long time for an answer and will most likely be told no for health & safety and insurance reasons. There's no security up there, but there are regular sweeps by Gardai. If you want to photograph the outside, you will have no problems. It'll be difficult to get inside the building and it's dangerous in there. Be careful and good luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

aoife1991 wrote: »
    Isn't Fort Camden being restored now? I know that at present it is closed for the winter. I've heard that there's a lot of drinking goes on down there and there can be quite a few scumbags hanging around! :confused: Not sure but that's what I've heard!

Lot of work done there by locals to clean the place up. It's easily accessed from the shoreline. Extremely interesting place to visit and not half as spooky as Our Ladys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Corol

Hi, I've been reading all those post with lots of interrest. I moved in the front building (the grey one, Atkins Hall) and for the past few weeks, I'm really interrest about what happend in this building !

To be honnest, there is nothing bad about leaving there, no bad feeling, and especially no junkies !

About a year ago (or so) it was a fire in the unleaved part of the building, due to some junkies, and now there is cctv everywhere and a security guy ! Actually one a day time, and two at night time !

I'm trying to visit it on a legal way, I asked for an authorization for an hour (I asked the security guy I know), and he's gonna come back to me soon to let me know !

I got scared for a minute when I read all those post about junkies, but to be honnest, gardai are coming few times a week, and if someone is trying to cross the line, they stop him, and call some more security ! (I've seen it myself while enjoying the sun otside)

From the inside, the new apartmens look really amazing ! The wall are white, it's moderne, clean, and charming !

(Sorry for my english which is far of beeing perfect, I'm french ! :p )

emmab353 wrote: »
    does anyone on here know of anyone who used to work or was a patient in Our ladys hospital and st kevins in Cork? i am currently doing a project in college on the building and would love to talk to someone who has first hand knowledge of the place.

thank you

One of the taxi driver from the Cork Taxi Coop used to work in there, fixing boilers as far as I remember ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Corol wrote: »
    Hi, I've been reading all those post with lots of interrest. I moved in the front building (the grey one, Atkins Hall) and for the past few weeks, I'm really interrest about what happend in this building !

The site seems to have been one of the first areas known as 'lunatic asylums' dating back to the late 1700's. The eglington asylum was built in 1847, during the famine. Being a public building it would have been well constructed hence its attraction to this date. It was later enlarged to link what had been 3 seperate buildings. When originally built the Cork asylum (predating the Eglington buildings) was one of the most progressive in Europe. Its psychiatrist developed a rotating chair that spun patients around to 'treat' them- known as Hallorans chair. We looked at some of these things on the history forum here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056235296 a while back and I should stop babbling about it here. There are a couple of photos in the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 FOS2012

Do you not think taking pictures in awe of a building that was run by pure evil is a tad more insane than the poor souls that were forced to exist there?
    Innocent young girls,women, boys and men were made suffer an inhumane existence all at the hands of course by our almighty christian dictatorship. Forced to live like animals, for what? for feeling depressed? maybe there were no other resources at the time fair enough,it should`ve been closed down when reports were published about the low standards. Although I do appreciate it is a beautiful building and to photographic enthusiasts,like my boyfriend, it seems a great opportunity, I just ask that you spare a thought for those who called it home for part or all of their lives. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

FOS2012 wrote: »
    Do you not think taking pictures in awe of a building that was run by pure evil is a tad more insane than the poor souls that were forced to exist there?

No- 2 seperate things.

The site seems to have been one of the first areas known as 'lunatic asylums' dating back to the late 1700's. The eglington asylum was built in 1847, during the famine. Being a public building it would have been well constructed hence its attraction to this date. It was later enlarged to link what had been 3 seperate buildings. When originally built the Cork asylum (predating the Eglington buildings) was one of the most progressive in Europe. Its psychiatrist developed a rotating chair that spun patients around to 'treat' them- known as Hallorans chair. We looked at some of these things on the history forum here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056235296 a while back and I should stop babbling about it here. There are a couple of photos in the link.

I looked all the forum, blogs, websites I could find, but now that I have the authorization to go inside (legally !) I will, and I'll make sure to take lots of pictures ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

Corol wrote: »
    I looked all the forum, blogs, websites I could find, but now that I have the authorization to go inside (legally !) I will, and I'll make sure to take lots of pictures ;)

Can you bring two friends :)

Can you bring two friends :)

For sure it's fine ! But so far I didnt get any answer ! Still awaiting ...

Today we went with my boyfriend to have a look at St Kevin's building, from the outside. I had a strange feeling, I think the fact that it was still open just a few years ago made me feel strange ...

I'm not afraid my ghost or things like that, I'm just afraid to be shocked by it, by the place, everything left in it ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭corkboy10

anyone been to st kevins recently???anyone interested in visiting it????have a tad bit of an obsession with the place :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I was outside there last time I was down in Cork. there was a security guard around so I didn't try to sneak inside the building though.

Advertisement