Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

kuang1 wrote: »
    I'm probably alone in this:
    I'm a big sci-fi/fantasy/adventure fan. Always have been.
    The Twilight Zone, Indiana Jones, The Goonies, Close Encounters, Star Trek and all of its off-shoots, Battlestar Galactica, and countless other movies and shows always gained my full attention.

Yet Star Wars never did. I've never been able to explain why because it should be right up my street.

Last year I even sat down and watched one of the newer ones (don't remember which one) with my brother-in-law who's a big fan of them, and it did absolutely nothing for me.

No one else paddling the same canoe?

Never been a huge fan myself. The original trilogy is alright though if "one of the newer ones" was the prequels than you are doing Star Wars a disservice as they are appalling.

Always thought Star Trek was far more ambitious.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I have recently re-discovered Yes Minister / Prime Minister. A genius intelligent comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

I'm doing my first run through of Star Trek the original series. The best bits are without doubt the fight scenes when it could not be more obvious that a stunt double was used. You don't get that in Star Wars

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I dunno, you are the first person I have ever come across who thought the best thing about Star Trek was its fight scenes. The original series is ropey as hell but it has to be viewed in the context of when it was produced - it was really groundbreaking. TNG holds up surprisingly well I would say - the story was always more important to Star Trek. The new movies kind of miss that, as enjoyable as they are.

• Podge_irl wrote: »
    I dunno, you are the first person I have ever come across who thought the best thing about Star Trek was its fight scenes. The original series is ropey as hell but it has to be viewed in the context of when it was produced - it was really groundbreaking. TNG holds up surprisingly well I would say - the story was always more important to Star Trek. The new movies kind of miss that, as enjoyable as they are.

I thought the most recent film struck a nice balance on that, felt quite Star Trek'y.

The second one was a poor effort and a waste of both the Khan character and the Klingons.

I've never liked the 'reboot' / alternative timeline aspect though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Herpes Free Since03

The Twilight Zone, Indiana Jones, The Goonies, Close Encounters, Star Trek and all of its off-shoots, Battlestar Galactica, and countless other movies and shows always gained my full attention.

Yet Star Wars never did. I've never been able to explain why because it should be right up my street.

Last year I even sat down and watched one of the newer ones (don't remember which one) with my brother-in-law who's a big fan of them, and it did absolutely nothing for me.

You're quite right...star wars is ok...I watched it when it first came out...i watched all the reboots...and most of them are a bit meh.
    But everything you've rattled off, would much rather watch them than the wookie and the green dwarf :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,754 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Me. Don't think I've ever watched a full star wars movie. Or an episode of star trek. Or Game of thrones, breaking bad, the Crown, house of cards, the Pablo escobar one.
    Come to think of it I watch next to zero tele. Home, make the dinner, bit of a tidy up, watch the kids do homework, make lunches, shout loudly about state of bedrooms, complain that everyone is deaf, go to bed....rinse and repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Off Topic Nerds Thread.

I feel like I'm in a time-warp, where I'm 8 years old. Have we done Transformers yet?

• swiwi_ wrote: »
    Off Topic Nerds Thread.

I feel like I'm in a time-warp, where I'm 8 years old. Have we done Transformers yet?

Do you not like fantasy? horror? sci-fi? I'm watching a great sci-fi at the moment, it's about these aliens that sneak into peoples rooms at night and secretly inject them with steroids. It's called "Remember that time Dan Carter failed a drug's test?".

Do you not like fantasy? horror? sci-fi? I'm watching a great sci-fi at the moment, it's about these aliens that sneak into peoples rooms at night and secretly inject them with steroids. It's called "Remember that time Dan Carter failed a drug's test?".

Its brilliant...I'm on season 3 episode 8.

• Advertisement

Wins his third Champions league in a row...and quits. Zizou is some man !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

If they didn't win the Champions League he would have been sacked. Might even have been anyway

Synode wrote: »
    If they didn't win the Champions League he would have been sacked. Might even have been anyway

Not a bit, Perez caught like everyone else...
    He wanted Neymar to be added to the squad and Real don't have the cash to do so.. even if Ronnie or Bale leaves

Any craft beer pub recommendations in Cork City Centre?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Franciscan Well? Elbow Lane. BarBarossa. Eat at Son of a Bun burger.

Ooh Elbow Lane looks nice. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Franciscan Wells is class
    Good pizzas too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,955 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

You really have become a true blue Dubliner haven't you. AK must be so proud.

Yeah_Right wrote: »

:)

• Yeah_Right wrote: »

.ak stopped believing in the concept of pride back in 2015 as it co-opts part of native american culture. The acceptable term is 'encourages' or 'strongly encourages', however, if you use the word 'strongly' it's important to highlight that this isn't a masculine or gender specific use of the term 'strong' and is instead an equal opportunity conceptualisation of strength that resides within us all.

• Advertisement

Son of a Bun gets Thomond's Thumbs Up!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Son of a Bun gets Thomond's Thumbs Up!

All three of them!?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

There is something about the words craft beer, that instills the same reaction as Vegan, making me want to punch the issuer. It’s nearly as pretentious as that monkey **** coffee.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

stephen_n wrote: »
    There is something about the words craft beer, that instills the same reaction as Vegan, making me want to punch the issuer. It’s nearly as pretentious as that monkey **** coffee.

the cafe is work sells "washed" coffee

Stheno wrote: »
    the cafe is work sells "washed" coffee

**** like that makes me go full Victor Meldrew :eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

stephen_n wrote: »
    **** like that makes me go full Victor Meldrew :eek:

Funnily enough, that's who I picture when I read some of your posts. And I feel exactly the same!

Zzippy wrote: »
    Funnily enough, that's who I picture when I read some of your posts. And I feel exactly the same!

I don’t believe it :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,955 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Excuse the ignorance but who's Victor Meldrew?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,775 ✭✭✭b.gud

Personally I like nothing more than a craft beer after enjoying a locally sourced artisan vegan lunch. I also try to get it somewhere that servers fair trade single source organic Guatemalan cappuccinos, with unsweetened skinny soy milk naturally. I usually get a second coffee in my keep cup to take with me on my cycle home on my fixed gear drop handle bar bike

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Excuse the ignorance but who's Victor Meldrew?
    The main character in One Foot in the Grave, an old British sitcom about an old and miserable man who was always complaining.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement