Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DotA 2 General Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

I like how it shows how often you play with friends
    My average gpm on sniper is 9315.4...

Impressive .... however

You are never allowed to play sniper when we are playing together, as a matter of fact nobody is, and when I join a game, and some russian insta picks sniper and says " Solo mid or feed xaxaxxaxaxa " I just want too

Z7Gpf.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Think it is also gonna show you the percentage you win with friends and without.

haha! I hat sniper, I contacted the developer for him to fix the gpm bug.

No hero ported this week, sadface,

But they redid the HUD and Item Icons

Rlj6T.jpg?1
    DOTA-ICON-NEW-OLD.png

Something very handy they added is on the courier where it tells you where its headed etc

On the way home
    Dota2_CourierStatus02.jpg

On the way to Prophet etc
    Dota2_CourierStatus03.jpg

All this and more in Cyborgmatts weekly blog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

Alright gents/ladies. Got the go ahead to play the beta this week, but as a complete n00b to DOTA, I've no idea where to start. Any decent resources or guides out there?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Not the hardest bots thouhg, they are brutal and co-ordinated!
    try some of the simpler characters first, like Skeleton King. SK has only one activated ability and a nifty ult that brings you back to life if you have enouhg mana. So just build some points in the stun and stats till leel 6, then get your ult and start skilling your crit ability when you can.
    Lich and Lion are good int/support characters to try. Both have a skill that gives you mana back so they are a little more forgiving than others when you are learning how and when to use your abilities (mana can be an issue in this game till you are used to it). I'm pretty terrible on agi/carry hero's, but maybe try riki or bounty hunter since they can go invisible and run away^^

dibkins wrote: »
    I'm pretty terrible on agi/carry hero's, but maybe try riki or bounty hunter since they can go invisible and run away^^

I would have to advise against Riki and Bounty hunter, both are very squishy and situational carries, I think if you want to practice Carries or more importantly, farming, play the Beefy semi carries, like Doom and Dragon Knight, even if can't farm all that effectively, as long as you get one or two core tanky items, you can still offer alot to the fight, take for example doom

He is tanky ( if you get some armor early )
    Has an innate farming skill,
    Fast and hard to catch with Phase and scorched earth
    And Doom is a fantastic spell

And with Dragon Knight

Tanky, VERY tanky
    Longest single target stun in the game,
    Burst with first spell
    Corrosive dragon to push
    and Flame dragon to catch up on farm

Even with Vanguard/ one armor item on these two you can tank up and still be useful, and if your farm happens to be going good, you can get your damage items and really impact the game.

Meanwhile on invis heroes, even when you have a core item or two, you can be easily countered ( for around 200g with Sentries or Dust ) and insta gibbed before you add anything to the fight.

Yes if you think the enemy team is not competent enough to counter your invis, or stupid enough to run around solo to feed you, and not focus you in team fights then Riki and BH can be fantastic heroes, and super fun, I love playing Riki, and he is a top tier pick for competetive games. Also bounty hunter and his Track bonus gold ( if you watched the Starseries Lan, Complexity gaming used him to come back from a tough start to beat Darer ), make him a great hero also. But I think its easier to screw up on them. However play what you find fun, and if people complain, tell em that "haters gonna hate", 90% of the time I will pick for the team, but if I can tell at the char selection stage that my team is full of douche bags, I pick for fun !

ninja edit:

But I would also recommend Skeleton King Leoric for "my first carry"

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Listen to that guy, most of my tactics involve running away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

SOMEONE PLEASE GIVE ME A BETA KEY BEFORE MY HEAD EXPLODES!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

How do I ping an area on the map?

Also I never see people go after neutrals in the forest. I do this in low levels to get more exp for my lifestealer. Is this a waste of time?

• Advertisement

hold control and click. A few heroes go in the forest, lifestealer is one, you should keep doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Hawke

grizzly wrote: »
    How do I ping an area on the map?

Also I never see people go after neutrals in the forest. I do this in low levels to get more exp for my lifestealer. Is this a waste of time?

Ctrl-Click to ping. Most heroes have difficulty dealing with neutrals at early level if they don't have summons/lifesteal. As lifestealer its viable since he steals their HP, other heroes would take massive damage and would have to go back to fountain or use regen. As lifestealer its a good idea to farm creeps in jungle if there are no open lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Thanks for the replies. Two more;

Is the map always the same?

When do more powerful creeps show up? after playing an hour long game I've seen about 4 kinds.

Thanks for the replies. Two more;

Is the map always the same?

When do more powerful creeps show up? after playing an hour long game I've seen about 4 kinds.
    The map is always the same, unless they bring out custom maps down the line which seems unlikely. The creeps get naturally stronger as a match goes on. They get upgraded when you destroy an enemy's barracks at the end of a lane in their base. There are 2 barracks, one for each type of creep. Melee and Ranged. Once all barracks are destroyed you get Mega creeps which are much more powerful and pretty much mean you have won the game as they are very difficult to defend against.

I am thinking of making a Boards.ie Chat Channel in game, that everyone who gets into the beta can hop into

But you should be able to join it once its made either by Typing into the console "chat_join Boards.ie" or once you are in the main menu hitting the "+" key on top of the chat box, to the right of your tabs, and scrolling down and finding it.

It will most likely be just called Boards.ie anyways, and I think this is easier then us throwing around a load of Steam ID's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Is the map always the same?.

Is a chessboard always the same? ;)

GO_Bear wrote: »
    I am thinking of making a Boards.ie Chat Channel in game, that everyone who gets into the beta can hop into

But you should be able to join it once its made either by Typing into the console "chat_join Boards.ie" or once you are in the main menu hitting the "+" key on top of the chat box, to the right of your tabs, and scrolling down and finding it.

It will most likely be just called Boards.ie anyways, and I think this is easier then us throwing around a load of Steam ID's

People are more then welcome on my vent aswell. If anyone is interested add me on Steam or if mumble is your thing Tar has one of them if he'll allow you on there(he's a bit of a **** really).

I love a good prophet feed guys, some hilarious games in the last few days. Feeding Divine rapiers to the other team because your team are full of ***** is more satisfying then winning. Some 3 stack were being ***** to me and some other guy on our team & they were ****ing awful. So I farmed two rapiers + crits to solo the other teams base but died so it was a win win situation.

People are more then welcome on my vent aswell. If anyone is interested add me on Steam or if mumble is your thing Tar has one of them if he'll allow you on there(he's a bit of a **** really).

And there is also the Boards.ie Team speak server which I use alot
    I love a good prophet feed guys, some hilarious games in the last few days. Feeding Divine rapiers to the other team because your team are full of ***** is more satisfying then winning. Some 3 stack were being ***** to me and some other guy on our team & they were ****ing awful. So I farmed two rapiers + crits to solo the other teams base but died so it was a win win situation.

lol, we should try a few 5 man push up the mid lulz

And there is also the Boards.ie Team speak server which I use alot

lol, we should try a few 5 man push up the mid lulz
    I think that Teamspeak is going to go down, at least that's what I read in the thread unless there's another I'm unaware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

can you lock the camera in dota 2 like in LOL? I find it when playing a skillshot character easier to lock the camera when attacking.

But I couldnt find the button for it when I tried the beta.

• Advertisement

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    can you lock the camera in dota 2 like in LOL? I find it when playing a skillshot character easier to lock the camera when attacking.

But I couldnt find the button for it when I tried the beta.
    I bound Select Hero from F1 to Spacebar. You just double tap the spacebar and hold it down to lock to your hero, you should try that. You can do this from the options.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Hawke wrote: »
    I bound Select Hero from F1 to Spacebar. You just double tap the spacebar and hold it down to lock to your hero, you should try that. You can do this from the options.

do you need to keep it held down the whole time?

might work.

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    do you need to keep it held down the whole time?

might work.

Yeah, that why I have it on Spacebar, I find it easy to press the spacebar with my thumb.

Check my last game as prophet, another Rapier feed

Check my last game as prophet, another Rapier feed

Lol, love the enemies mass necro book as well !

Lol, love the enemies mass necro book as well !

Funny you mention that, I got an Ultra kill near the end and I died because of auto attacking a necro I **** you not(probably would have won if that didnt happen). You should watch the replay some hilarious **** the last 15 minutes. A lot of prohet quotes being typed out to troll the other team too.

Funny you mention that, I got an Ultra kill near the end and I died because of auto attacking a necro I **** you not(probably would have won if that didnt happen). You should watch the replay some hilarious **** the last 15 minutes. A lot of prohet quotes being typed out to troll the other team too.

Aye I could imagine you owning yourself randomly if your Ulty bounces off and kills 3 of them ! They have 800 hp and its 600 pure damage when you kill them afaik ! Had 3 wins last night, go accused of being try hards for running a bane and Pudge lane ....... when was the last time you seen pro teams use Pudge and Bane ??

A good game,

M5 dominate the laning phase but .... Na'Vi's team fight, dammmm

http://esfiworld.com/feature/dota-2-beta-power-rankings-april

Interesting look at how the competitive teams are looking coming up to the international.

• Advertisement

Advertisement