Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Autumn 2019 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Not long left for the remaining orange ones.I find the LED's are much better for driving, light up the road and little light escaping upwards.
    A lot of my town has these white LEDs now. Gives a colder, darker look to the streets to be honest.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Not long left for the remaining orange ones.I find the LED's are much better for driving, light up the road and little light escaping upwards.

Now that is some shot! Beautiful!

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    A lot of my town has these white LEDs now. Gives a colder, darker look to the streets to be honest.

Are they there long? Some of the newer ones are really bright, especially if they are up of a height. I see some of the orange ones being replaced and the LEDs are placed at the same height - this I think gives it a sharper dark/bright contrast. The brilliant white is a little cold though - perhaps they'll come up with a slightly warmer tone. Although it'd be savage if they switched from cool white to warm white depending on the season! :p

Oh, I look forward to seeing the snowfall at night under LED!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Some moderate gusts now in Castlebar and nearly 15mm of rain today, it looks like September will make it the 7th month in a row wetter than last year, with only January and February being drier.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Lovely photo. I hate the LEDs though, they produce a very harsh light. I much prefer the 1980s style yellow sodium bulbs... far easier on the eyes and a warmer feeling to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,059 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Lovely photo. I hate the LEDs though, they produce a very harsh light. I much prefer the 1980s style yellow sodium bulbs... far easier on the eyes and a warmer feeling to them.

These(photo) were all the go from the 80s onwards. The last year here in Castlebar ,and more so in the past two months have seen most of them go over to LED.

Anyway ,im off topic. Its a dry breezy night @15 degrees

• Advertisement

Danno wrote: »
    Now that is some shot! Beautiful!

Are they there long? Some of the newer ones are really bright, especially if they are up of a height. I see some of the orange ones being replaced and the LEDs are placed at the same height - this I think gives it a sharper dark/bright contrast. The brilliant white is a little cold though - perhaps they'll come up with a slightly warmer tone. Although it'd be savage if they switched from cool white to warm white depending on the season! :p

Oh, I look forward to seeing the snowfall at night under LED!

They have been rolling out around town for a while now, but only recently have come into my housing estate. I don't find them bright at all to be honest and the shadows they create are darker. Another disadvantage is that I could often see showers coming at night before they arrived here because of the orange reflection bouncing off the clouds from the other side of town. With the increasing amount of white lights, oncoming showers do not seem to be as visible from a distance.

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    They have been rolling out around town for a while now, but only recently have come into my housing estate. I don't find them bright at all to be honest and the shadows they create are darker. Another disadvantage is that I could often see showers coming at night before they arrived here because of the orange reflection bouncing off the clouds from the other side of town. With the increasing amount of white lights, oncoming showers do not seem to be as visible from a distance.

I get what you are saying, my bet is that the LEDs are much stronger (therefore designed to spread their light further) but are put at exactly at the same height as the Orange Sodium lights they replace. Therefore it gives a strong downward beam, increasing the contrast between lit and unlit. The upward light is greatly reduced/eliminated, this was driven by star gazers and professionals in the space exploration sectors who campaigned against night light pollution.

Thankfully the LEDs came after rain radar! :p

Meanwhile, back at the ranch - it's 13c and no further measurable rain since last posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Which ones are better for watching snow ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Woken by loud drumming deluge echoing on the roof... Wind rising; moving into the equinoctial gale season. Black as the proverbial pitch out there, and the cats came flowing in like a surge tide when I opened the door. Nothing as fast as a cat when heavy rain and strong wind are around ;) Distinctly chilly too,, west mayo offshore .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Ah but nostalgia, I love the sodium light. I find the white LED lighting very cold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Bright morning and 11c

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Nice sunny morning in Laois but it definitely feels cooler than the last few days.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

harr wrote: »
    Nice sunny morning in Laois but it definitely feels cooler than the last few days.

it's a little bit chillier, but as a whole I think we've done rather well with daytime temperatures this September. This month has already beaten daytime temperatures of June which wouldn't be hard, making this month the 3rd warmest month of the year at my location. However the overall monthly temperature may not get 3rd place due to the cooler nights.

We've already had 5 days that reached 20C or more and most other days in the 17 to 19C range. Compare this to June, I only saw 3 days above 20C and half the month failed to reach above 15C.

Mercurial , wild, sudden deluges and gusty winds, then bright sun. west mayo

Danno wrote: »

Thankfully the LEDs came after rain radar! :p

The orange lights proved to be better and more accurate than the actual rain radar for here.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Could be an interesting evening/night thunder storms forecasted

ZX7R wrote: »
    Could be an interesting evening/night thunder storms forecasted

Ah THAT is why the headache...Thanks! Ah well.. we shall see. Still quixotic; bright sun then ferocious deluges. Full of life and liveliness.. west mayo offshore sanctuary

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Graces7 wrote: »
    Ah THAT is why the headache...Thanks! Ah well.. we shall see. Still quixotic; bright sun then ferocious deluges. Full of life and liveliness.. west mayo offshore sanctuary

A few flash's appearing on the radar now west coast and Midlands

Monsoon in Kildare now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

pad199207 wrote: »
    Monsoon in Kildare now

Monsoon and sun shining :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Those LEDs are nice alright, but come a foggy period we'll miss the orange ones' better transmission.

Garden flooded. Street outside partially flooded. 11mm in about 8-10mins I’d say.

Just 0.8mm here in south Laois for the day (AWS). Interestingly, a savage downpour nearby around 6.45pm. The town side of the bridge was bone dry, the north side drenched. Such a difference over 15 metres! Cool at 12.2c presently after a high of 16.4c (AWS)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Dry and breezy all day here, incredibly missed all the showers, twice we missed while a neighbour about .5km across the field got soaked

Meath

pad199207 wrote: »
    Garden flooded. Street outside partially flooded. 11mm in about 8-10mins I’d say.

found a small lake here too between dwelling and gate. soon soaks in..

WET! WINDY! WILD!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Shower train in full effect
    Again
    Athenry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Monday and Tuesday look very cool at the moment looking at MT's forecast, with highs of only 10-12c.

Miserable morning with moderate rain and breezy.

18mm since yesterday evening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭giveitholly

km79 wrote: »
    Shower train in full effect
    Again
    Athenry

18mm recorded in athenry in the space of 6 hours overnight according to the met Éireann forecast at 7.55 on radio 1

Advertisement