Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Winter 2019/2020 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Another largely clear morning here in this part of Mayo but change is afoot. The breeze which has taken a bit of a sabbatical here recently has reappeared in the form of a cool freshening southerly with a wee bite to it. I agree with one of Oneiric's posts recently in the Autumn thread about the general lack of storminess and strong winds over the past number of weeks in this part of the world. The breeze is usually a constant companion down here during autumn and early winter. I do know however that all somebody needs to do is leave the door ajar and the good old Atlantic will be back in. I will bank these last few days of early winter gladly.
    4c.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭jprboy

I've searched but can't locate M.T.'s winter forecast.

Anyone able to point me towards it?

Thanks!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

jprboy wrote: »

Thanks!

Mild, Wet, Windy. /End

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Logan Roy wrote: »
    Can you please stop filling up the thread with this rubbish?

Yer man M.T.s long term forecast is what usually turns out to be rubbish TBH.

The same as the postman from Donegal and some guy in NZ and a few more.

Get it right once in a while and people they are some sort of guru.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Tzmaster90

easypazz wrote: »

Don't disrespect M.T he knows more than you he was working at it longer but I do hope he is wrong and we have more cold and snowy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

Tzmaster90 wrote: »
    Don't disrespect M.T he knows more than you he was working at it longer but I do hope he is wrong and we have more cold and snowy

He's making a fair point, LRF are rubbish, it's nothing to do with disrespecting someone. It's all well and fine saying there's a 60% chance of a colder than average winter, but that still means there's a 40% chance of that not being the case. Not particularly useful.....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

pauldry wrote: »
    The first pulse of cold has already got less cold....the 2nd one will follow and instead of 2 or 3c we will get 5 to 8c

Always happens.....except in 2010 and the beast.

Well, yes that event has led to unrealistic expectations, if you are holding out for that each time there is talk of cold weather you are are likely to be disappointed.

I am hoping for a 2- three day cold spell with a polar low - just like the ones we use to know. I think we can get that at some stage if the current pattern in the northern hemisphere holds. Several icedays in a row are unlikely in a mobile regime, but if the jet has a tendency to stay to the south, we may get decent arctic incursions at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

When can ye expect to have confidence in those cold charts for dec 10 + ? Seems to be showing the cold for a couple of runs now , are all the models in agreement?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

US2 wrote: »
    When can ye expect to have confidence in those cold charts for dec 10 + ? Seems to be showing the cold for a couple of runs now , are all the models in agreement?

Real confidence? Wait for +72hrs and all in agreement. A Very fragile but also potentially very interesting setup coming up - Reasonable confidence once you get inside +120hrs. Anything beyond +144hrs is liable to significant change.

Cold and unsettled from around the 10/11th onwards going by the GFS and ECM. UKMO quite a bit flatter on this afternoon's 12z run though so confidence low beyond +120hrs at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

Beautiful sunset in cork city today and drove out a bit too and looked lovely over all the fields with fog forming in them.

Aye, some great sunsets these past couple of evenings..

Co.down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Rougies

Some nice lenticular clouds over the Dublin mountains this evening.

NZyzou7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

The reality of the cold artic plunge next week now begining to filter into the BBC forecast outlook.
    Cold begining to get locked in now, GFS and ECM in agreement.

'' A plume of cold air pushes out of the Artic across our shores''
    ''Things turning very much wintery...an increased chance of severe frosts and snow showers''

https://www.bbc.com/weather/features/50652225

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note

easypazz , no need for such statements on this forum.

Disagree if you will with another posters views but show respect especially to MT who has contributed so much over many years to this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

Cold Wintry weather in pretty much in agreement for next week. Icon seems to be going that way too. Further down, Potential of a Blocking, HP could be to our North East which will introduce either an easterly or North easterly. This could happen before Christmas or just after, long way off though. Regarding next week uppers could be on the marginal side along the coast and also potential of some long fetch streams as the week goes on. Still in FI, Let's see how this pans out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

He's a very knowledgable guy just doing his best . As you say long range forecasting is difficult, should nobody try at all then? His intentions are good and I dont see the point in trying to bring him down like that. Lots of people enjoy reading his forecasts even if they dont come to fruition I dont think anyone has ever put too much stock into something forecast so far out, it's just a bit of fun and is a nice kick off to the winter weather model watching season

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Good sign when YanSno is getting onboard,if I remember rightly he/she called last winter fairly accurately saying we would never get that deep cold the charts were indicating at various stages

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭appledrop

Some beautiful sunsets in Dublin over last few evenings. Last night was unreal.

Loving this current weather. Freezing cold but beautiful sunshine + not a drop of rain.

Long may it continue!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭jprboy

jprboy wrote: »

Thanks!

Well, that got interesting …… !!

No-one answered the question though - anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Breeze nicely up in Mayo now. Watching rain on the radar along the west coast. Normal service resumed. Will just have to keep viewing the sunset pictures from the weather posters to remind me of Paradise Lost!

Like i Said still disrespect don't want to know what you see as being disrespectful he was calling rubbish but also point to M.T on here longer then you or me so enough i hope it is cold and his Forecast is not right but would not call rubbish :) Even Mod agreed with that user anyway move along i want Shnowww

I stand by my point. Is there merit in doing them to try and improve the accuracy going forward? Absolutely. But in terms of accuracy they're rubbish.

• Advertisement

This is what I have come up with after the usual process. The mid-November update might be more than just a tweak this time, I could see this going several different ways as there are some unusual synoptics in various regions of the hemisphere. But the emphasis in my research study was on high-energy events. I don't think low pressure areas this winter will be fooling around, they are going to be packed with energy and moisture compared to some winters. Possibly 2013-14 is somewhat of an analogue, although I would say, shifted a bit south of that onslaught of storms. This is copied from my post on Net-weather which explains a Britain and Ireland focus in the wording.

The following is a preliminary long-range forecast for winter 2019-20, If it seems necessary, I will amend or update this forecast in mid-November.

This appears likely to be a season where high energy weather events will be grappling with a fairly robust supply of colder air at high latitudes.

Britain and Ireland can expect a very unsettled winter with frequent low pressure systems steered by a strong jet stream running a little south of its average position.

This favours a split north-south outcome where the south is often on the milder side of the storm track getting strong southwest winds and rain, while the north is more open to snow, ice and easterly winds.

The north-south divide may be enhanced by the likely appearance of strong blocking highs over eastern Scandinavia and western Russia. I don't think these are going to dominate the circulation but they will come into conflict with the zonal regime at times, forcing it to dive southeast around 5-10W and into France and the western Mediterranean. This may be another winter of heavy Alpine snowfalls and frequent severe cold spells in Germany and possibly Belgium and Netherlands into northeast France.

Battleground conditions seem likely at times across southeast England into Wales and central to northern Ireland. Frequent snow events may occur in northern and even central England, and southern Scotland, also Northern Ireland and some adjacent parts of the Republic of Ireland.

Some heavy precipitation is likely in this scenario, heavy rain in most cases in southern England, especially the southwest, and the southern third of Ireland (Munster and south Leinster).

A set-up like this may not remain steady-state, but could fluctuate north-south bringing the milder conditions further north at times, while setting the battleground further south at other times. However, the tendency will be for temperatures to average closer to normal or above in the southwest, and below normal in Scotland.

This pattern could evolve into a colder February or even March if the strong jet stream loses energy, then the blocking may be able to assert more control.

North America can expect a rather harsh winter in general, with severe cold waves at times, colliding with an active storm track from Texas northeast towards Virginia and southeastern New England. There could therefore be heavier than average snowfalls in the Ohio Valley, Midwest, and inland Mid-Atlantic to northeastern states. A pattern like this would not rule out one or two coastal blizzards in the mix. The west will be dominated by persistent cold high pressure trapped in valleys, and coastal areas will have a fairly average winter with a lot of rain, low cloud and moderate southeast winds. Snow on western mountains will be generally a bit above average but might be twice normal in the southern Rockies and northern Arizona around Flagstaff. Drought will break during the winter for California.

This may also be one of those winters where extreme cold moves south from Siberia into China, Korea and Japan.

Here it is

Logan Roy wrote: »
    I stand by my point. Is there merit in doing them to try and improve the accuracy going forward? Absolutely. But in terms of accuracy they're rubbish.
    I do like them trying to improve accuracy but weather always changes can't hurt for them to throw in a educated Guess i Don't see M.T Saying this is 100 percent going to happen

Loughc wrote: »
    Mild, Wet, Windy. /End

Thank you

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note: Off topic posts removed. Stay on topic. Keep it civil. Adhere to the forum charter. Back on track to Winter discussion.

Mod Note:

Tzmaster90 , Your post was removed ,need to cease the back seat modding, read the forum charter before posting again please.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Donegal and Mayo
    South to southwest winds will strengthen during Thursday reaching mean speeds of 50-65km/h with gusts of 90-100km/h.

Valid: Thursday 05 December 2019 07:00 to Thursday 05 December 2019 18:00

Issued: Wednesday 04 December 2019 15:00

• Registered Users Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Here it is

Looking very accurate going by today's models. Yesterday's dream charts have been well and truly binned. US going in the freezer. Jet stream firing up. Sad times :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Irish snowman

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Carol25

So far I’m actually happy with how this winter is playing out in the west. Lots of cold frosty days, clear skies. Some deluges for a few days but then back to cold and frosty again. This pic is from Sunday looking at Christmas trees 🎄.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A damp dark windy morning here in Castlebar and its not going to change much for the day.

Advertisement