Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    I've been playing with a few types. NATOs don't really work for me, as my damn wrists are so big, I don't have enough left over to do anything reasonable with.

It seems to work very well with the leather, especially the black padded. The one I don't like there is the classic Speedie style.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I found this style on AliExpress with straight end links. It's on the way, so will try that too.
    If it works out, I may get the US version and then swap the end links.

The OEM bracelet stays very wide at 22mm before tapering sharply. It has an almost Cobra line to it that is distinctive, but not to mys taste.

The classic Speedie style above has a nice taper to it, so I'm following that line.

All suggestions welcome.

There's some very nice bracelets on Aliexpress. I got a few over the years and the quality has been amazing. Obviously not the €6 ones

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

The last one pictured is an Uncle Seiko version of the classic President style bracelet, but it is for the Speedie Pro Moonwatch, so the end links would not suit the shrouded lugs of the Mark II.

The AliExpress one is €29, so hopefully will be reasonable quality. But it has 20mm straight end links, so with a bit of engineering, it might go with the Uncle Seiko, which is about €90.

The only drawback is that the AliExpress one has a riveted double clasp. So, if I as to move to the Omega style fold over, I'd have to grind off the head and see if I could get something to put it back together.

That classic Speedie Pro one is a very cheap, folded link version that apes the style of the classic. It was more the shape of it I was after, and I quite like it. I got it for a tenner. Cheap enough to prove the concept.

I like the way the lines of the case come down to the taper of the bracelet, much more so than the OEM.

This pic captures it well:
    IMG_6220-scaled.jpg

The OEM bracelet stays wide for a long way, and it exaggerates the lines of the case, to my eye.

I prefer the more streamlined look of the 20mm that tapers to 18 at the clasp.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

I've been playing with a few types. NATOs don't really work for me,

All suggestions welcome.

How about a Tropic dive strap? Or a blue or green leather?

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

544973.jpg

Seiko SARB035

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

I had this Mitch Mason Chronicle arrive last week.

IMG-20210226-102220.jpg

I'm quite impressed by it thus far. The bracelet and leather strap are really comfortable. Lots of microadjust available on the clasp too.

Miyota 9039 movement that is currently about 2-3 seconds fast after a week so quite happy with that. Has the usual Miyota rotor noise but it's not noticeable to me in every day use.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,814 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Just picked this up this morning for a song! A. N. Other kickstarter auto diver really in a world full of 'em. But it wears really nicely on the rubber strap. Essentially brand new, never worn. I changed the time to show the hammer logo which is mirrored in the seconds hand as well.

IMG-20210226-132100.jpg

Check out the lume! :). I like this new trend of luming up the bezel.

IMG-20210226-132136.jpg

Came in nifty leather case and what looks like a good quality bracelet

IMG-20210226-132257.jpg

IMG-20210226-132306.jpg

IMG-20210226-132543.jpg

Sorry for all the pics, it's not a for sale ad, I swear :). I had a bit of a disappointment with my newly acquired Steinhart 500 which I can't wear as it needs fixing, so this was a happy coincidence and consolation

• Registered Users Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

The 80s called and I answered...but reckon I will be flipping this one.

6-C4-FB124-AE53-4-D31-93-C2-2-E03-B776-C97-F.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Earlier. In the wilds of Wickalaa.

545057.jpg
    1943 German issued Wagner.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Charging up the solar cells on my bike today.

545062.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Your watch is greeting you! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Dev1234

New strap for my Speedie. I went with a brown horween leather racing strap. Horween because if it's good enough for the Starlight it's good enough for my Speedie. Was humming and hawing between black and brown, and delighted I went with the brown.

545076.jpg

Strap change was quick (first time for me) so I'll be trying out a couple more in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Wibbs wrote: »
    1943 German issued Wagner.

A more suitable dashboard to go with that watch :D

5f0ebf2cead20c2b3d29991834c25968.jpg

P1010736.jpg?fit=1200%2C674&ssl=1

A more suitable dashboard to go with that watch :D

Someone has de-Nazified that Kubelwagon,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭micks_address

Dev1234 wrote: »
    New strap for my Speedie. I went with a brown horween leather racing strap. Horween because if it's good enough for the Starlight it's good enough for my Speddie. Was humming and hawing between black and brown, and delighted I went with the brown.

Strap change was quick (first time for me) so I'll be trying out a couple more in the coming weeks.

Can I ask where you ordered?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭oknepop

Quick snap earlier.

XsEbuvE.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Dev1234

Can I ask where you ordered?

Yeah, no problem.

https://thehouseofstraps.com/collections/ready-made-watch-straps/products/rm-horween-chromexcel-brown-racing-leather-watch-strap-20-18?variant=31624868069494

Got hit with 24 quid Customs charge which I was expecting.

Delivery took about a week.

Looks to be sold out at the minute but some nice straps on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

This is what DHL delivered today:

OA3laxsz_o.jpg

W108ypT1_o.jpg

2AAn7ABa_o.jpg

5Qx1ZaJU_o.jpg

aPp01OI9_o.jpg

Sj8pmenT_o.jpg

nUKGnPtK_o.jpg

Seiko Ti Blue Samurai. I belive it's a JDM only model. The last Lume shot was a long exposure, the first one is more true to reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Wow, that samurai looks amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

cnocbui wrote: »
    This is what DHL delivered today:

Seiko Ti Blue Samurai. I belive it's a JDM only model. The last Lume shot was a long exposure, the first one is more true to reality.

Thats very nice, did dhl charge you extra?

• Advertisement

funkyouup wrote: »
    Thats very nice, did dhl charge you extra?

Thanks. Yes, they charged Duty of €0.80, why, just why? And DHL charged €14.50 for the priveledge of charging for the Vat of €107.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Cnocbui.....great photos the watch looks very well.

Fitz II wrote: »
    Cnocbui.....great photos the watch looks very well.

Thanks, I blame this thread! It's the first watch I have bought in 15 years or so, which ironically is roughly when I beleive this was made. Those Citizen eco-drives are just too high a quality.

I don't 'need' it but it's nice to at last have a proper divers watch that I wish I had had in my mid teens when I took up scuba diving. Life is backwards and all wrong; we don't have the money when we could best make use of it and end up with it when we can make the least use of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

@cnoc.
    I too received a samurai this week but mine is an srpb99 I think.
    Mine is the padi version.
    Have you tried to adjust the bracelet yet? Does it use the pin and collar system?
    And enjoy your new watch...,
    Doubt it will be your last new watch this year¡!!!!!!!!

Thanks to Oknepop.

Yema Sous Marine

545163.JPG

545164.JPG

@cnoc.
    I too received a samurai this week but mine is an srpb99 I think.
    Mine is the padi version.
    Have you tried to adjust the bracelet yet? Does it use the pin and collar system?
    And enjoy your new watch...,
    Doubt it will be your last new watch this year¡!!!!!!!!

Congrats - need pics.

No, I havent yet done that, too busy running the strap through the ultrasonic cleaner and buffing out a few marks and taking photos, which take more time and work than you might think.

I have never ecountered such a strap closure before and still haven't sussed it fully, the lock is obvious but the weird little catch that extends the length is new to me. At a guess I would suspect it might be a quick fix to let you put it on over a wetsuit sleeve. I used to wear my watch under the wetsuit sleeve to prevent damage and snagging. There is a pawn shaped pin for the lock to engage, if that's what you mean. I'm a bit behind on my watch lore.

pT6iwQbt_o.jpg

I'm pretty sure this will be my last watch purchase for years. I have far more exciting and expensive purchases on the horizon I need to keep my powder dry for.

that little clasp is for diving extension. can be quite hard to open

• Registered Users Posts: 16,467 ✭✭✭✭banie01

that little clasp is for diving extension. can be quite hard to open

That's a good thing Roy.
    If it opened too easily, there's a risk the watch could get hung up on protrusions when working or even fall off if it opens easily.
    Of course you'd always want a smooth locking mechanism but sometimes mechanical stiffness and friction are a means of a "secure" extension.

Some of the other divers here may very likely disagree with me, but on some watches I have had awful niggles with sloppy/loose extensions and would always prefer a mechanically solid but tight mechanism.

thanks banie, that makes sense,
    citizen promaster i have is a slide out extension. wont ever get near water with any of my watches unless i fall in or get thrown lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,467 ✭✭✭✭banie01

thanks banie, that makes sense,
    citizen promaster i have is a slide out extension. wont ever get near water with any of my watches unless i fall in or get thrown lol

My promaster has a sliding extension too.
    Adds @10mm and is handy for moving the watch over a thin wetsuit.

Folding clasps and their release mechanism can be a pain in the hole if they open too easily IMO.
    Had to replace a watch once that would randomly pop and drop down my hand to my knuckles :pac:

Advertisement