Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Post pics of your watches Part II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭micks_address

is it a less luxurious experience buying something from a website than going into an AD?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,462 ✭✭✭✭banie01

They have a lovely range of them in Keane's Limerick now too. Still no actual stock tho and even the list is a guessing game as varying stock is supplied it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,736 ✭✭✭893bet

There is 1500+ ADs in the world. That’s a lot of new boutiques to open….I am sure there are contracts in place also ie it’s cost many 100s of K to fit out the Rolex section of an AD so I am sure they have contracts in place to guarantee a minimum of X years as a dealer etc.

If they doubled the price of a steel sports do you really think demand would maintain? Not so sure.

I suspect they are pretty happy to allow the ADs take all the flake from the public while upselling two tone Datejust and other less desirable models to be considered for a sports model.

Not sure of the breakdown but I recall reading that Datejust sales out number all the sales added together for the whole sports range before. Not sure if true.

ive heard that about Datejusts which is a little odd. You can basically get one in less than 6 months from an AD whereas its who knows for anything else.. it makes sense its the most sales as its the most available... but if it was most in demand wouldn't it hold true its less available like the other models? or is it just easier to make datejusts?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Because flippers, investors and grey dealers aren't interested in them so aren't constraining supply?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭scwazrh

The amount of work involved in selling 5billion of watches would be staggering .Patek & AP do boutique only but they make approx 50k pieces year , Rolex are rumoured to be up to 1.2 - 1.4 million pieces a year now .Only viable option for a sales channel direct to consumer at that level is to use local a sales AD .Rolex are selling everything they've got and they've already said its not them choking supply , its the ADs. A drastic price rise of 50-100% would in the long term have a negative affect on their brand so understandable that they nudge it up 5 -10% instead.

Tudor have less than 300 staff so you can expect shortages but Rolex have over 4000 staff .As we've said before theres no shortage of watches , its the grey market thats getting them and hoarding them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Few reasons.

1. Rolex is set up as a charity and this means their annual price increases are limited by the articles or their incorporation. It give them other advantages they would not want to give up (tax mostly). This mean they could not jump to retail quickly enough to make it worth their while. A penny saved is a penny erarned and at the moment they do what they are good at and leave the front facing stuff to AD's.
    2. That a lot of property to buy or rent and fit out. Would need to be premium high street a lot of places. And they only have one product to sell and AD will have jewellery etc to fall back on also.
    3. That a lot of staff to pay.
    4. Lot of fixed overheads they currently dont have
    5. If they went online everyone would just want Stainless sports. These are Rolex's least profitable watches.
    6. The system as is, seems to be working pretty good for them. What's the impetus to change?
    7. At the moment Rolex have only AD's as customers maybe 2000 round the world. If they set up their own they would have to deal will millions of customers every year and all the ball ache that goes with that.
    8. AD are contracted to buy a certain number of watches a year, this has seen Rolex good in hard times. Direct sales means they have to take the rough times with the smooth.
    9. AD are contracted to take bundled stock, they get various watches and no choice in what they get. If direct sale the production system would have to shift to a made to order system loosing a lot of the economy of sale of batch production. Other solution would be to hold stock but that again is expensive to do.
    10. Rolex at the moment go a lot on that back of the ADs marketing and advertising....without they would have to increase their already massive marketing spend to get that all persuasive penetration they have at the moment. They would also create competition with they ex customers the AD's who would now have high street shops selling competing products.

Its a old and complex system and I am well sure that Rolex have run the numbers every which way many years ago. The AD system works for them, they produce a lot of watches and have a lot of stock to sell. AD's get 35% as far as I know. It would not take long for Rolex to soak up that extra profit in expenses (give point 1 above). Sure AP and VC and ALS have boutiques but they make a fraction of the watches, and only a handfull around the world.

Exhibition watches are better than nothing if you like blue balls.

Are the exhibition watches real? I wonder how long before the odd one gets sold...

Real externals but no working movement .The weight is the same though

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'd reckon non working though they are that they'd be a prize for the collectors who have everything.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,462 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'd say so. There's a lad on insta that sells quite a bit of vintage dealer gear and it always fetches quite a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Stowa

Loving the stowa...very tempted to get a bronze offering at some point from them

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Ian OB

• Registered Users Posts: 32,975 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

if i was ever buying a rolex or similar i would definately buy it from the authorised dealer. I would expect my rolex to come with "extra services"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

There's a lot to be said for buying one from Unkle to be fair. Drops it to your door in a Dunnes Stores bag. Not going to get that service from an AD.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,736 ✭✭✭893bet

The extra services are the best.

Things like ….

Being made feel grateful for spending 10 grand.

Having to buy an omega or 5 at full retail.

Being given the impression you don’t really own it as if they see it for sale they will kill your family

an umbrella or hat you would be ashamed to use in public unless you happen to be at the Ryder cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,659 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

buying from an ad is only worthwhile if you are getting a desirable watch at retail. i have had a tidy sums worth of watches through my hands and id say less than 5% of that went through the till at an AD.

what!! you mean you don't even get a buxom blonde in a low cut blouse, leaning over the display case, giving positive vibes to the big spender!!?

It’s very frustrating.A good ad experience is enjoyable, I don’t mean the bullshit coffee or champagne but being able to sit down and try on a range of watches adds to the crack of buying .But when they won’t even get within 20% of a reputable grey marker dealers price it’s just a non runner.

that kinda thinking will get you cancelled my friend, the carry on days are over 😀

Casual misogyny aside, what Extra Services? Have bought a few from the AD and apart from a glass of cheap prosecco, empty promises, and a handful of mints you get nothing. Sure if its your first good watch having the luxury experiance is fun, but being landed with watches that other collectors have passed for weeks in a market where anything desirable is gone in seconds is not fun at all.

Luxury watch game is fucked, watch what happens to it with the current political climate, if you though it was bad before its doubly fucked now.

You can’t beat the security of buying direct from an AD .100 % guaranteed the watch is legit and if any problems with it you have full comeback.Ignoring Rolex as we are all just peasants to Rolex AD , but getting to know an AD makes it a lot easier to get lower supply watches .I don’t envy ADs , they are caught in a hard position with the way the watch market is at the moment

With the warranty most manufacturers are going with nowadays the majority of grey watches are well covered too to be fair. but you do have to buy the seller.

Yeah that’s true all right .I had a watch I had to return a few weeks ago and I was glad I only had to bring it back into the shop and not have the hassle of posting it back somewhere if I had bought online .

Yeah I get you, and for "gettable stuff" I understand, but there can be a massive delta in price for that stuff. If I can get a watch for 20-30% less grey I will. The luxury experiance is not worth that, and if it breaks under warranty I bring it into the AD anyway and they send if off for me cause the manufacturer pays them to handle warranty work.

I suppose I am just not wealthy enough to waste money having my ass licked....its the watches I want.

• Advertisement

Just wondering. Have any of the watch brands publically come out against selling to Russia? Would assume a big chunk of their sales are to the oligarch class and their underlings.

Advertisement