Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTE: Drivetime with Sarah McInerney & Cormac O hEadhra

• 27-09-2020 7:19pm

New thread for the new presenters, and we wish them well at their new desks. Usual rules apply in posting, and especially please note this is not a thread for political point-scoring. Take politics to the appropriate forum please, it will not be tolerated in the radio forum.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,772 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Looking forward to the new presenters very much, couldn't listen to Mary Wilson at all for the last long time.

Hopefully they'll breathe a new lease of life into the show, a decent drive time current affairs show is badly needed.

If Sarah McInerney's stint during the summer was anything to go by, it should be half decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Sorry I must have missed all of this. Where is Mary Wilson gone to?
    They need to get PBH out of there asap, before he contaminates the whole studio with his SMUG2020 virus

• Registered Users Posts: 12,950 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Sorry I must have missed all of this. Where is Mary Wilson gone to?
    They need to get PBH out of there asap, before he contaminates the whole studio with his SMUG2020 virus

She’s retired. Next stop Live at 3 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Mary is joining the near all female cast at Morning Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

And so the interrupting will be confined to 0700-0900.

Maybe the fact that she has co-presenters now will rein her in a bit.

Once that other smug git doesn't step in too often, he was worse than her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

And so the interrupting will be confined to 0700-0900.

Maybe the fact that she has co-presenters now will rein her in a bit.

Once that other smug git doesn't step in too often, he was worse than her.

Pity she didn’t take “The Doomsday Dog’ Lenihan with her.

The early mornings might slow him down a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭Radio5

Will both presenters be on together - strange how this show now needs 2 presenters after years of having only 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Radio5 wrote: »
    Will both presenters be on together - strange how this show now needs 2 presenters after years of having only 1?

I see this a lot on rte both tv and radio, where once one presenter was perfectly adequate, there's now 2 or sometimes 3 presenters

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

"Reports from a busy college bar" ????

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Clon63

Looking forward to the new line up.

Great line for tbe first interview with the Bus Eireann CEO

• Advertisement

Sarah comes across as a bit ‘shrill’ in the early minutes.

No need to shout.....

First ‘hang on’ from Cormac 15 mins into the prog.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

The pair inviting and reading out texts from listeners....that's a new feature for the show. Don't like it.

This show is all a bit "Newstalky"....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Radio5 wrote: »

Because Mary did enough talking for two people.

Sarah comes across as a bit ‘shrill’ in the early minutes.

No need to shout.....

True, but she seems to have settled now.

I like the double-handed format. It should facilitate a bit of time for consideration and better questioning.

Very early days so let’s see how it goes. A viable alternative to Matt Cooper has long been needed

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Grim reaper Barry Lenehan loving the 390 new cases

amlinopta wrote: »
    Grim reaper Barry Lenehan loving the 390 new cases

The Doomsday Dog, was out of the traps before Cormac was finished.

Someone should put linoleum on the floor of the trap, would slow him down a bit.

True, but she seems to have settled now.

I like the double-handed format. It should facilitate a bit of time for consideration and better questioning.

Very early days so let’s see how it goes. A viable alternative to Matt Cooper has long been needed

Squeaky wouldn’t hold down much of an audience.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Got to listen to quite a bit this evening and enjoyed it, good mix and match with them. Way better that Kieran over on Newstalk, he’s not able to hold the show at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭0xzmro3n4y7lb5

I don't like the two presenters format and don't like Cormac's tone.

Agree Sarah was pitchy at the start but it settled down.

The content of the show seems different. The segments feel longer.

I'm finding it a bit dull.

• Advertisement

Three ‘hang ons’ from in the space of a minute, from Cormac.

Needs to get a grip on those bad boys.

There will be more......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,618 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Good to hear some serious questioning from Cormac and Sarah.

What way is he pronouncing Oireachtas? ERRRRRRRRRRRRACKTOS?

Better get used to that dude, native Irish speaker.

Watch for Fianna Fáil, and Fine Gael......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Cole

Seeing as he's a native (Connacht) Irish speaker, I'd imagine he's pronouncing it the 'correct' way.

I know him and have heard him before, I think maybe my Alexa is too near the wall because the reverberation of that r sound went through me, in a good way.

Cole wrote: »
    Seeing as he's a native (Connacht) Irish speaker, I'd imagine he's pronouncing it the 'correct' way.

I'm sure he is, he's a man for accuracy. But native speaker doesn't always mean correct, example Joe Duffy :D

When listening to the segment about whether or not to use crowd noises (Fake Noise?) I reflected on the posts elsewhere on Boards about RTE’s ways of workings according to @RTESecretpro, mentioned here https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/719cv4/ive_compiled_all_the_tweets_from_secret_rté/

On the basis he or she was using, it would have required a team of half a dozen sound engineers to provide crowd noises. I breathed a sigh of relief when the idea was shot down by Marty plus a load of listeners texting in opposition to such Alsn idea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Cole

I'm sure he is, he's a man for accuracy. But native speaker doesn't always mean correct, example Joe Duffy :D

You're opening up a can of worms here...well for me anyway! I put 'correct' in inverted commas to suggest that there is often no single way to pronounce words, just standard (correct) or non-standard (incorrect/inferior) pronunciations depending on people's perceptions of different dialects. Joe Duffy's pronunciation is pretty standard for his Dublin dialect, but it is see as non-standard and, therefore, not 'correct' by many.

Anyway, Cormac's pronunciation of Oireachtas is the standard pronunciation in Connacht Irish...as far as I'm aware.

• Advertisement

Cole wrote: »
    You're opening up a can of worms here...well for me anyway! I put 'correct' in inverted commas to suggest that there is often no single way to pronounce words, just standard (correct) or non-standard (incorrect/inferior) pronunciations depending on people's perceptions of different dialects. Joe Duffy's pronunciation is pretty standard for his Dublin dialect, but it is see as non-standard and, therefore, not 'correct' by many.

Anyway, Cormac's pronunciation of Oireachtas is the standard pronunciation in Connacht Irish...as far as I'm aware.

I’ll back you up on that Cee

You won’t hear the auld Dub ‘ Fine Gwael’ from him anyway.

So beloved of MLMCD

Advertisement