Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Covid-19 Kerry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Quackster wrote: »
    Don't forget the scumbag who travelled to West Kerry from Cork a few days ago for a spot of paragliding, got tangled in overhead ESB cables and knocked out the power to a few thousand homes.

Unnecessarily wasting the resources of the emergency services in the process.

Should have left him up there :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

amdaley28 wrote: »
    Should have left him up there :mad:

That's like a comment I would have heard in the local pub and had me in stitches laughing, fair play.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Three days to go to match Sligo's two weeks.

Three days to go to match Sligo's two weeks.

Here's hoping.
    Hope the weekend travelers don''t upset our future figures.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Here's hoping.
    Hope the weekend travelers don''t upset our future figures.

That's definitely the worry now! So annoying how people think it doesn't affect them and that its ok to break the 5km rules. Radio Kerry said the Gardaí turned back 100 people yesterday (not sure if that's people or vehicles?). Very frustrating, especially with how well we have managed to contain it in Kerry.
    https://www.radiokerry.ie/kerry-gardai-turn-around-100-people-breach-5km-limit/?fbclid=IwAR3x5a4dK07HLTZTw423eiGVdaFlvRWI7urdshSQSt1tUmXRLzwRx0hgj84

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    That's definitely the worry now! So annoying how people think it doesn't affect them and that its ok to break the 5km rules. Radio Kerry said the Gardaí turned back 100 people yesterday (not sure if that's people or vehicles?). Very frustrating, especially with how well we have managed to contain it in Kerry.
    https://www.radiokerry.ie/kerry-gardai-turn-around-100-people-breach-5km-limit/?fbclid=IwAR3x5a4dK07HLTZTw423eiGVdaFlvRWI7urdshSQSt1tUmXRLzwRx0hgj84

I can imagine them thinking that they can sneak off outside the 5km limit and no one will know, and like the case with the 5 year-old getting rescued near a North Kerry beach a couple of days ago, the whole world ends up knowing about it when the sneaking off becomes a near-death experience.

Up to Day 12 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Went to Dooks Beach today, within my limit, plenty of Julys around, a large group of adults and no social distancing, how they all got through ??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I bet the beaches were packed today (and yesterday), but I can imagine how packed the beaches are going to be once the restrictions are relaxed to 20km from the 8th! They will be thronged. I hate busy beaches at the best of times, people will be flocking to the beaches come the 8th! I will be glad to go for a drive again though and get away from the town etc.

I'm already thinking of when we could book a night or two away after the hotels open up. Really considering a break in August/sept. Hopefully there will be some good deals around to entice people to book!

edited to add that I've seen someone I know post up on facebook how the drove up the country, and to see someone and that it was worth breaking the rules. This isn't the first or second time this person has broken the restrictions and its taking the p*ss at this stage. Some people literally are so selfish. I haven't gone anywhere outside of work and shopping and these people think they are great flaunting it on facebook. Idiots!!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭hanamandiol

I bet the beaches were packed today (and yesterday), but I can imagine how packed the beaches are going to be once the restrictions are relaxed to 20km from the 8th! They will be thronged. I hate busy beaches at the best of times, people will be flocking to the beaches come the 8th! I will be glad to go for a drive again though and get away from the town etc.

I'm already thinking of when we could book a night or two away after the hotels open up. Really considering a break in August/sept. Hopefully there will be some good deals around to entice people to book!

edited to add that I've seen someone I know post up on facebook how the drove up the country, and to see someone and that it was worth breaking the rules. This isn't the first or second time this person has broken the restrictions and its taking the p*ss at this stage. Some people literally are so selfish. I haven't gone anywhere outside of work and shopping and these people think they are great flaunting it on facebook. Idiots!!
    I drive for work and am up and down country/motorways weekly.Its amazing how little traffic on motorways and N roads.In my opinion the rules are being obeyed remarkebly well.Certainley saw no evidence of a public holiday surge.Maybe travel restrictions are being broken on a local level because roads are boringly empty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,943 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I can imagine them thinking that they can sneak off outside the 5km limit and no one will know, and like the case with the 5 year-old getting rescued near a North Kerry beach a couple of days ago, the whole world ends up knowing about it when the sneaking off becomes a near-death experience.
    Local rumor is that it was a large group from Enniscorthy visiting Inch beach

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Igotadose wrote: »

That must have been a different bunch of visitors sneaking around, I think the ones who got caught out in North Kerry only travelled from the Abbeyfeale area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Igotadose wrote: »

The child rescued from Littor was from Abbeyfeale - a good bit more than the 5km. When her grandmother spoke on behalf of the family it was to condemn the sale of inflatables etc - not a mention of the fact that they shouldn't really have been there in the first place - but in the massive anxiety and panic surrounding the incident and then the relief that her grandchild had been rescued and a tragedy averted I'd be inclined to let that aspect pass.

The Enniscorthy part was (according to Raidio Na G) that a car from there was stopped at a checkpoint near Inch and "told to turn around". I really doubt they drove all the way back to Wexford, but leaving that to one side the more damning part of it is that they must have driven from Enniscorthy, presumably through New Ross, then the Waterford-Cork road, then the N22 to Killarney and on to Inch - and hadn't been stopped at any checkpoint on the way? I know they could have taken other routes to avoid Cork city (Carrick/Clonmel/Mallow etc) but it still doesn't sound great. I know the 5km limit is very restrictive on a lovely weekend but to travel from Enniscorthy is really taking liberties.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

lottpaul wrote: »
    The child rescued from Littor was from Abbeyfeale - a good bit more than the 5km. When her grandmother spoke on behalf of the family it was to condemn the sale of inflatables etc - not a mention of the fact that they shouldn't really have been there in the first place - but in the massive anxiety and panic surrounding the incident and then the relief that her grandchild had been rescued and a tragedy averted I'd be inclined to let that aspect pass.

The Enniscorthy part was (according to Raidio Na G) that a car from there was stopped at a checkpoint near Inch and "told to turn around". I really doubt they drove all the way back to Wexford, but leaving that to one side the more damning part of it is that they must have driven from Enniscorthy, presumably through New Ross, then the Waterford-Cork road, then the N22 to Killarney and on to Inch - and hadn't been stopped at any checkpoint on the way? I know they could have taken other routes to avoid Cork city (Carrick/Clonmel/Mallow etc) but it still doesn't sound great. I know the 5km limit is very restrictive on a lovely weekend but to travel from Enniscorthy is really taking liberties.
    I find it a bit hard to understand why somebody would drive all the way across the country from Enniscorthy to Inch. I mean, they have some fabulous beaches in Wexford!

As to the 5km limit, I certainly haven't been sticking rigidly to it (it is entirely arbitrary after all), but, outside of work, I have been staying local.

Furthest I've ventured from Tralee for recreation has been Banna, and only in the late evening when it's almost deserted for solitary exercise. Had to call the fire service one evening last week as some **** were lighting fires in the dunes in the midst of a condition red fire alert. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I've been out cycling the past couple of weeks by where I live and keeping to the 5km rule and easily getting a 40/50 km cycle in. All on b roads ....

I have been working throughout all of this and I have to say people in general have been really good. I went to the beach a couple of times ( inside my 5km) and not many people there and the ones that were there were abiding distancing by a huge margin .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

I've been out cycling the past couple of weeks by where I live and keeping to the 5km rule and easily getting a 40/50 km cycle in. All on b roads ....

I have been working throughout all of this and I have to say people in general have been really good. I went to the beach a couple of times ( inside my 5km) and not many people there and the ones that were there were abiding distancing by a huge margin .

From my own experience of living and working in town, I'd have to say you've been luckier than most.

If you're cycling on 'B' roads, then you're living in a country that doesn't have a 5km travel restriction! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Tralee people are sheep, we are surrounded by the longest most beautiful beaches in the country yet people only flock to banna or fenit. There's beach all the way from derrymore to castlegregory and from the maharees to fermoyle that you can have all to yourself if you do a bit of exploring what's on your doorstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Tralee people are sheep, we are surrounded by the longest most beautiful beaches in the country yet people only flock to banna or fenit. There's beach all the way from derrymore to castlegregory and from the maharees to fermoyle that you can have all to yourself if you do a bit of exploring what's on your doorstep.

Don't tell them for Christ's sake :)

Day 13 now, but worrying spikes in Clare and Cork, who both record 37 new cases today:

https://twitter.com/higginsdavidw/status/1267498273624985601

• Advertisement

Now two weeks without a new case, so few, if any of the 308 diagnosed to date are likely to be active now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Now two weeks without a new case, so few, if any of the 308 diagnosed to date are likely to be active now.

Virtually none I would think but of course the asymptomatic are always with us.....lurking.....waiting too strike........:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭kev_Makaveli

Just over 750 active cases across the country now .. we're getting there ...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,728 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Most people are.
    They won't change their habits because it's the same beach they were carried to in the back seat of the family Datsun with their bucket and spade, slobbering all over a 99 cone.

It's not people flocking to some beaches, it's people keeping themselves to small sections of these beaches.

In Banna, most people decend on the main car park and stay within a few hundred metres of that while the rest of the beach, amounting to several kilometres, remains gloriously empty.

Noticed the same behaviour in Derrymore Tuesday evening too. Main car park was pretty full when I arrived and the beach immediately adjacent was busy but as I set off westwards, I wasn't long leaving all of humanity behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Travel restriction to be changed from proposed 20k from Monday to within your County. I guess that makes it easier for the Guards identifying what vehicles to spot check.

kn wrote: »
    Travel restriction to be changed from proposed 20k from Monday to within your County. I guess that makes it easier for the Guards identifying what vehicles to spot check.

Not sure how that's going to work ?

Not sure how that's going to work ?

Prob easier monitor major entry points to county than beaches and exit points of towns

Kerry free of cases so keep non-essential out of kerry.

Not perfect system but makes little sense keeping everyone to 20k in counties free of covid.

The Midlands cud be messy as county boundaries often split towns

Prob easier monitor major entry points to county than beaches and exit points of towns

Kerry free of cases so keep non-essential out of kerry.

Not perfect system but makes little sense keeping everyone to 20k in counties free of covid.

The Midlands cud be messy as county boundaries often split towns
    Exactly. I've been arguing this is how it should have been all along. Have permanent check-points on the major county crossing-points and rolling checkpoints on the back roads.

Small countries could be paired up, like Laois/Offaly.

• Advertisement

Quackster wrote: »
    Exactly. I've been arguing this is how it should have been all along. Have permanent check-points on the major county crossing-points and rolling checkpoints on the back roads.

Small countries could be paired up, like Laois/Offaly.

Have said same with a while.

Just thought it would be a political hot potato given Dublin will be stuck with issues due to overpopulation and higher case numbers

Advertisement