Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1** 27th Jan Forward

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Why does he bother having Connor Pope on to answer 'consumer queries' when all they do is waffle among themselves for 10 minutes, run out of time then maybe have enough time to answer one question! :rolleyes:

D'Arcy is off on holidays from next week, Katherine 'living your best life' Thomas on for the next two weeks! I'll be switching over to NT, only so much live laugh love one can take...

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Piehead

SpitfireIV wrote: »
    D'Arcy is off on holidays from next week, Katherine 'living your best life' Thomas on for the next two weeks! I'll be switching over to NT, only so much live laugh love one can take...

Kathryn Thomas? Does she have a child does anyone know? Or is she married? She’s so secretive about those things. I do wonder if she is a MAAAAWWWWWUUUUUMMMMM?

Piehead wrote: »
    Kathryn Thomas? Does she have a child does anyone know? Or is she married? She’s so secretive about those things. I do wonder if she is a MAAAAWWWWWUUUUUMMMMM?

Actually now you mention it, does anyone know where she's from??! I've been racking my brain but can't think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Actually now you mention it, does anyone know where she's from??! I've been racking my brain but can't think of it.

Carlow and the King's Hospital. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,898 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Del.Monte wrote: »
    and the King's Hospital. :D

Which is just a stones throw from the hospital in Norway that her mother was passing when the chimney of the school beside the hospital in Vancouver cracked in 1979.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,898 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Kathryn has a three year old called Ellie???
    How come she's never mentioned this before?

Personally, I don't understand how any broadcaster can talk about their child on the radio as part of their job. I wouldn't even mention my child's name on a semi-anonymous forum like boards, I don't think anyone here would do so.

Mentioning their children's names strikes me as very odd behaviour. D'arcy does it too. Tubridy has apparently made a conscious descision to stop doing it -- at last. Bizarre to expose your child's life to a national audience.

Having said that, I'm not sure if people are serious when they imply that a broadcaster comes in and witters on about their child, off the cuff. This kind of 'content' is the result of production meetings, taking into account the demographics for that time slot.

Child-rearing content is appropriate material for that time of the day. It doesn't appeal to me, either, but there is a parental audience (a growing one), who somehow enjoys anecdotes about other people's kids.

*shrug* people are strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Personally, I don't understand how any broadcaster can talk about their child on the radio as part of their job. I wouldn't even mention my child's name on a semi-anonymous forum like boards, I don't think anyone here would do so.

Mentioning their children's names strikes me as very odd behaviour. D'arcy does it too. Tubridy has apparently made a conscious descision to stop doing it -- at last. Bizarre to expose your child's life to a national audience.

In Kathryn Thomas' case Id say it is done very much on purpose because the child is now part of 'Brand Kathryn'. Just look at how Vogue got that Ariel tv ad by putting Theodore front and centre- the child is part of the deal that advertising companies want. Thomas sees this and with her 120k Instagram followers (many of whom would be also mothers) she can harness the mother and child act to get advertising dollars through sponsored content and glossy magazine shoots with the kid wearing the latest collection from whatever clothing brand is funding it.

And in years to come when she is about to retire the kid Ellie will already be nationally known and of course a shoe in for some nicely paid job in 2FM to begin her own media career.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    In Kathryn Thomas' case Id say it is done very much on purpose because the child is now part of 'Brand Kathryn'. Just look at how Vogue got that Ariel tv ad by putting Theodore front and centre- the child is part of the deal that advertising companies want. Thomas sees this and with her 120k Instagram followers (many of whom would be also mothers) she can harness the mother and child act to get advertising dollars through sponsored content and glossy magazine shoots with the kid wearing the latest collection from whatever clothing brand is funding it.

And in years to come when she is about to retire the kid Ellie will already be nationally known and of course a shoe in for some nicely paid job in 2FM to begin her own media career.
    Ah, I dunno, I reckon most broadcasters would prefer their children to have successful, private lives. Most broadcasters' children don't follow them into the business -- probably fewer than farmers', teachers' or guards' kids.

That's not to defend the broadcasters who do it -- it makes it even more puzzling. I will never understand invading your child's privacy, depriving them of anonymity, to produce broadcasting material. It's all wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Carlow and the King's Hospital. :D

I know ppl from Carlow through work and she is not very popular down there

I know ppl from Carlow through work and she is not very popular down there

I'm from Carlow and I can tell you I find it cringe worthy when she starts harping on about being from Carlow and is wheeled out as a representative/ambassador for the county!

Sure we have Richie Kavanagh for that!

That's not to defend the broadcasters who do it -- it makes it even more puzzling. I will never understand invading your child's privacy, depriving them of anonymity, to produce broadcasting material. It's all wrong.

Me neither and I actually think it is a bit wrong because the child never gets a say about their privacy, they are pushed front and centre by the parent. With Darcy Id say he does it because he is a clutz and doesnt even think about the consequences of these things. But Thomas would know full well that companies want celebrities like her with kids to advertise their brands to the target audience of other mothers. So I dont think she is doing it by accident, its by design. Time will tell but if she gets offered 20k or 25k to do ads or sponsorships with her kid just like Vogue did then my bet is she will be taking it.

At the opposite end of the scale I remember Miriam o'Callaghan was asked about her kids in an interview and she said she has a policy of not talking about them in media interviews because she wants to give them their own privacy and lives rather than a profile of being known as 'child of Miriam'. Thats the sensible approach but the complete opposite of how Kathryn Thomas plays it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Even the much maligned (just kidding) Joe Duffy doesn't mention the three twins or her indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

I'm from Carlow and I can tell you I find it cringe worthy when she starts harping on about being from Carlow and is wheeled out as a representative/ambassador for the county!

Sure we have Richie Kavanagh for that!

She uses it when it suits i find.

I found it really bad on some of the operation transformation episodes, whenever she talked to the contestants from the countryside etc, she would change the tone of her accent all of a sudden and use terms like "keep er lit", "sucking diesel" and would throw a "h" after every "s" she would pronounce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Whitney Houston; cheesy but sunny Summery tune mind; that's been the highlight of the hour.

If this travel segement doesn't stretch this week/next to Carlow does KT get extra pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Piehead wrote: »

... don't forget "HIMSELF" !!!

Katryn pontificating about global warming 'all the evidence says so', how's your carbon footprint Katryn? You've contributed a quaaare amount with all yer gallivanting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭mountain

• Advertisement

I guess this picture on the front page of the Daily Mail last week wasnt a recent one then

IDM-PAGE-ONE-JUNE-9TH.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Most of the media is this cut and paste bolloxology-usually driven by the likes of, in the case of the Irish media, Noel Kelly & co.

She could have thrown that puff piece together any time in the last ten years.

They wonder then why they're dying on their feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Not one minute in and she is talking about herself
    She is deluded

OMG OMG OMG! Katryn is pregnant! I'm sure we won't hear any more about that for the rest of the week!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Nothing turns me 'agin a person more than conceit.

Duffy, Tubridy, Arsey, and now Thomas.

Take a leaf out of Wogan's book lads, ye might learn something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

"Just back and it feels like i've never done it".......no comment

• Registered Users Posts: 10,242 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

So D'Arcy and his sidekick Pope have joined the great Pfizer 'fully vaccinated' boasters. Does he not realise that this is quite tone deaf, since a good proportion of his listeners in their 60s are quietly fuming that they were led up the garden path in terms of a lengthy AZ vaccine programme. Given first dose weeks before him and still waiting for a second dose of a vaccine that no one else wants in the country. The O'Connors were at it also yesterday on Brendans show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Furze99 wrote: »
    So D'Arcy and his sidekick Pope have joined the great Pfizer 'fully vaccinated' boasters. Does he not realise that this is quite tone deaf, since a good proportion of his listeners in their 60s are quietly fuming that they were led up the garden path in terms of a lengthy AZ vaccine programme. Given first dose weeks before him and still waiting for a second dose of a vaccine that no one else wants in the country. The O'Connors were at it also yesterday on Brendans show.

The vaccine you get is the luck of the draw depending on the GP you have and the county that you are in.

I got Pfizer with my GP and my mate got AZ. Different counties but the same illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,242 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The vaccine you get is the luck of the draw depending on the GP you have and the county that you are in.

I got Pfizer with my GP and my mate got AZ. Different counties but the same illness.

Not quite so - the ordinary healthy population of people in their 60s were told they would get AZ and nothing else, go to the back of the queue if you don't want it. I'm sure those with underlying conditions were in a different bracket and luck of the draw came in there but for the general 60s population going through the vaccination centres it was AZ or go away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭XLR 8

I thought D'arsey was bad but hells teeth that Thomas one is even worse. Thank fůķ for Newstalk.

Advertisement