Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

As Ed's new nightly 10pm show (replacing McLoone) is not specifically "Indie/Alternative", is this the first time that Radio Ireland / Today FM has been without this type of show since 1997/98?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

As Ed's new nightly 10pm show (replacing McLoone) is not specifically "Indie/Alternative", is this the first time that Radio Ireland / Today FM has been without this type of show since 1997/98?

To be fair, if last night's show is anything to go by, it's continuing in the same vein as Paul MacLoone's show. He tends to play more of the indie classics from the 90's than Paul did but there was plenty of new stuff too. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I do feel sorry for Ed, he seemed to be getting some online grief last night and it's not his fault. He's doing a good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

Which is what I don't get about getting rid of Paul McLoone and cutting Ed Smith back to the graveyard shift. I've no idea of what Paul's JNLRs were like but from memory, Ed's went up last time out (don't remember if it was for ESOP, National Anthems, or both).

Either way, evenings from 7pm are not prime listening time, you'd think - drivetime is over, people are finishing up cooking and heading to evening activities, whether that's out of the house or just in front of the TV. So your best chance of increasing numbers is doing something different, and not just doing the same as you've been doing all day?

Exactly, cant see too many teens/early 20s people listening at this time of the evening (or any evening now with Spotify and Youtube).
    I cant understand the mindset of the station directors. Is there research based on UK/US audience? Why have they disregarded the late 20s and older age group or does this content creator tripe target them as well? When I was in my teens I listened to Ray Foley on the blast but he was very different from the content creator type DJ. The personality driven DJ seems to be being killed off, you'd wonder if Gerry Ryan would ever be given a chance now, I doubt it. Iano seems to be the best performing show on the station and he isnt content creator driven. Its a show that's really losing it's identity now, very much sadly so.

But what I dont get is the fit of the DJ to the content they're being forced to put out now. I've no doubt that Mairead/Fergal/Pamela would prefer to be doing a different type of show now but that's the direction they're being forced to take. The likes of the Spin DJs or even someone in their mid 20s like Doireann Garrihy would be much more suited to that sort shtick. Mairead Farrell and Fergal D'arcy are in their late 30s/early 40s, an age very unsuited to this sort of rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

All that matters is 7-7!

The audience for anything after that would be really small. Easier and cheaper to put on generic music show than pay whatever Paul was on. For all that Tom Dunne did on Pet Sounds, the audience was in the low thousands. Even smaller when Donal Dineen did 10-12.

Its all money and how much they dont want to spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,355 ✭✭✭✭siblers

xxyyzz wrote: »
    To be fair, if last night's show is anything to go by, it's continuing in the same vein as Paul MacLoone's show. He tends to play more of the indie classics from the 90's than Paul did but there was plenty of new stuff too. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I do feel sorry for Ed, he seemed to be getting some online grief last night and it's not his fault. He's doing a good job.

What kind of grief?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

siblers wrote: »
    What kind of grief?

I don't know, he just said something like "lads, I'm sorry you feel that way, I hope you'll get to like me better over time".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Not generally a fan of Ferg D'arcy's show - or at least the "D'you remember going into a sweetshop and buying sweets? Wasn't that great!" bits of it; but he's talking about Father's Day today in a fairly serious way, and it's lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

Not generally a fan of Ferg D'arcy's show - or at least the "D'you remember going into a sweetshop and buying sweets? Wasn't that great!" bits of it; but he's talking about Father's Day today in a fairly serious way, and it's lovely.

Fergal on iradio used actually be ok (they'd all be a lot better or at least ok if they didnt have to do that content creator sh1te!). One day there was a faus pax on his part about depression and he got a lot of criticism for it. The next day he had a genuine heartfelt segment about it and he talked about his own mental health issues and didnt mean to make light of it

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Turned on the show that’s replaced Ed’s songs of praise last night. Some inane conversation that I can’t remember and then Justin Timberlake.That’s enough for me over and out.

I've nothing against Pamela Joyce but it's the same daytime radio playlist I've no interest in hearing in the evening. But... it's technically a request show. I wonder what'd happen if they got loads of requests for some Ed or Paul-style music?

Probably nothing :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

When we’re back to live events we should arrange a boards beers indie disco with Ed and Paul on the decks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭Tork

Turned on the show that’s replaced Ed’s songs of praise last night. Some inane conversation that I can’t remember and then Justin Timberlake.That’s enough for me over and out.

In time, this will be Today FM 24/7. All they need to do now is get rid of The Last Word and they're nearly sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭JoeA3

It's terrible. I used to go out of my way to tune into Ed after 7, it was a nice refreshing listen at the end of a day. Now its replaced with the same old tripe that they've on all day long. So I've turned off. I'll still try to catch some of Ed on the catch-up / listen back.

Nothing against Pamela personally, but they could stick any one of the other Pamelas / Jessicas into that slot and it would sound exactly the same. Maybe thats exactly what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

When we’re back to live events we should arrange a boards beers indie disco with Ed and Paul on the decks.

And because they work on radio you think they'd be able to play at an event ? Ah the downfall of many a promoter and night club owner over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,690 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

JoeA3 wrote: »
    It's terrible. I used to go out of my way to tune into Ed after 7, it was a nice refreshing listen at the end of a day. Now its replaced with the same old tripe that they've on all day long. So I've turned off. I'll still try to catch some of Ed on the catch-up / listen back.

Nothing against Pamela personally, but they could stick any one of the other Pamelas / Jessicas into that slot and it would sound exactly the same. Maybe thats exactly what they want.

Do Bauer also Spin and if so, why would they feel the need to turn Today FM fully into another Spin?

And because they work on radio you think they'd be able to play at an event ? Ah the downfall of many a promoter and night club owner over the years.

How do you mean? Several of the Today FM presenters are also live DJs. Dec Pierce has a load of Block Rockin Beats gigs coming up later in the year.

How do you mean? Several of the Today FM presenters are also live DJs. Dec Pierce has a load of Block Rockin Beats gigs coming up later in the year.

Yes some are but i've seen many a promoter or nightclub hire a "radio personality" for their venue and it was car crash stuff.

Dec is a rare exception, he's a cracking jock and has been for many years.

You've mentioned one there, what about the other 20;)

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭swine

Funnily enough, in the second to last Ed's Song's of Praise, he suggested when this was all over renting a hall and having an Ed's Indie Disco.

I've been listening to his show on playback the day after. Seems like he is still getting grief from people irked that he isn't Paul McLoone. On Sunday's program someone texted in a request, seemingly unaware that P McL was gone, and then followed it up with some sort of insult. He sounded genuinely a bit upset responding to it.

Yes some are but i've seen many a promoter or nightclub hire a "radio personality" for their venue and it was car crash stuff.

Heh, fair! I've tickets for Block Rockin' Beats (tickets! for an event!!! in real life, not f'n Zoom!), I've been at a couple of things DJ'ed by Ed, I'd happily go to anything DJ'ed by Claire Beck or Kelly-Anne Byrne. I think Ferg D'arcy might be good live, where he's concentrating on the music and not the content creation. Most of the other daytime presenters, yeah, I wouldn't be too bothered about seeing live.

I would put them in the category of gig DJ over radio personality. Same for Claire beck and Kelly Anne Byrne, both well respected gig DJs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Holding together a live nightclub show and a radio programme is almost comparing a bus driver to a chauffeur.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Back in the 70s / 80s / 90s radio DJs doing night club and disco appearances was big business and very successful, for all involved.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

BPKS wrote: »
    Do Bauer also Spin and if so, why would they feel the need to turn Today FM fully into another Spin?

To use a UK example, if Spin is Capital, their vision for Today FM is more like Heart.

Or Bauer’s own UK stations, Spin is Kiss and Today FM is Hits Radio (the Hits Radio stations retain local branding in major markets like Radio City/Clyde 1)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,355 ✭✭✭✭siblers

She was on today about how much she's looking forward to Winter as she doesn't like the heat. That was the running topic of the show, awful ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Just wtf is with the evening schedule? Where is Ed gone?

🙈🙉🙊

Ed is now on graveyard shift duty, 10pm to midnight; 10 to 1am on Sundays. Paul McLoone is gone gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

This is where the discussion started on this thread:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057678744&page=418

flazio wrote: »
    Holding together a live nightclub show and a radio programme is almost comparing a bus driver to a chauffeur.

FACT.

There are some amazing jocks out there BUT thinking that just because they host a radio show means that they can hold a crowd and build an atmosphere or a decent set is just plain silly.

The names mentioned above are top notch performers ( Kelly Anne Byrne being a big favorite of mine).

Back in the 70s / 80s / 90s radio DJs doing night club and disco appearances was big business and very successful, for all involved.

Indeed it was and i worked with many of them.

I Remember one well known 2FM jock turning up to do an ABBA night with ABBA Gold 1 & 2 on cd. He was amazing and his grasp of the crowd was out of this world.

I also worked a few where the "personality" left early, the lack of an actual personality was the problem there:D

• Advertisement

FACT.

There are some amazing jocks out there BUT thinking that just because they host a radio show means that they can hold a crowd and build an atmosphere or a decent set is just plain silly.

The names mentioned above are top notch performers ( Kelly Anne Byrne being a big favorite of mine).

You are SO not invited to the indie disco

Advertisement