Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

US Police killing of 13 year old Adam Toledo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

You've changed your tune. Gone from quoting nonsense from Trevor Noah, a bad comedian and a bad analyst, to trying to be more reasonable but still trying to blame the police. But what has James Cordon got to say about it!

Maybe yourself and Trevor should get down off your ivory tower and try a stint in the force to see how easy it is. If you're waiting for someone to shoot first you won't last very long.

Comparing a 13 year old running around a 2am firing off a handgun to yourself sneaking out at night when you were a kid is a bad analogy.

The kid played a stupid game and won a stupid prize and his parents let him down big time.

Your cynical view of it is clear. The kid clearly had his right hand hidden from view and in his hoodie pocket. He turned and pulled it out and was instantly shot. It's easy to say in hindsight and freezing a frame where his hands are visible but the cop had literally 1 second to determine his action and yes in hindsight it was the wrong action. In another scenario where he hesitates the cop get's shot.

The widespread use of guns is the problem. Maybe you will acknowledge that someday.

If an armed US cop was chasing me down with a gun you can be sure I'd follow his commands and make sure my hands were visible and not do any sudden movements or cagey actions that could be interpreted as trying to pull a gun on them.

The cop won't get charged for this. He's following standard police training here. He does have to live with that kids death on his conscience for the rest of his life though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,231 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Overheal wrote: »
    "Turns around and got shot" is a conspicuous half truth.

Not sure what is hard for you to understand - was running away, had gun in his hand, ordered to show his hands and turns around. He had sealed his fate at that point.
    How's the officer to know he threw it away in those 2 seconds?

He was obviously upset about it when he realised it was a kid and trying to save his life but frankly the kid put himself in that situation

• Registered Users Posts: 81,548 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

BloodBath wrote: »
    You've changed your tune.

It's what critical thinking people do when presented with new evidence.
    Gone from quoting nonsense from Trevor Noah, a bad comedian and a bad analyst, to trying to be more reasonable but still trying to blame the police. But what has James Cordon got to say about it!

Not familiar with Cordon much at all tbf, and Trevor's prose statement is still equally fitting, that the cop in this case did not straight out murder a child in cold blood, is not some twisted vindication to argue the system is not broken or in need of massive reform.
    Maybe yourself and Trevor should get down off your ivory tower and try a stint in the force to see how easy it is. If you're waiting for someone to shoot first you won't last very long.

Settle down? We are having a discussion here, you've arrived pissing vinegar.

As for the survival rate if a tactical force uses the rules of engagement to fire only if fired upon, I should remind you that the casualty rate for military service, which uses those rules, is remarkably low. The US military has spent 20 years in Afghanistan fighting war/peacekeeping against a hostile force intent to kill them. 2,312 troops have perished in Afghanistan in that timeframe. Every year in the US, however, police are killed at a rate that exceeds that, when the vast majority of people would not be outset with premeditation to engage with or kill these officers, the same way opposing forces to do so against military targets. 264 officers perished last year. Clearly, the argument cannot be made that Police rules of engagement keep them any safer than military style ROE.
    Comparing a 13 year old running around a 2am firing off a handgun to yourself sneaking out at night when you were a kid is a bad analogy.

No, it's not. Any bystander can be in the area of any crime for any reason. Simply calling it a bad analogy, as well, is not a counterargument. If an officer positively ID's that person firing a handgun, or fleeing with a handgun, that's of course one thing, but if you just start chasing someone down an alleyway on the mere chance they might be a suspect, that is another. If I had been wandering around my town when gunshots were heard near by, I don't think we want to live in a society that supposes in that situation that I should be prepared to accept being shot at first with questions asked later.
    The kid played a stupid game and won a stupid prize and his parents let him down big time.

Perhaps. But that is far from an absolution of police responsibility for its use of force. The system is quite broken if there is individual responsibility for thee, but not me. Both. Ways.
    Your cynical view of it is clear. The kid clearly had his right hand hidden from view and in his hoodie pocket. He turned and pulled it out and was instantly shot. It's easy to say in hindsight and freezing a frame where his hands are visible but the cop had literally 1 second to determine his action and yes in hindsight it was the wrong action. In another scenario where he hesitates the cop get's shot.

The widespread use of guns is the problem. Maybe you will acknowledge that someday.

This is another baselessly snarky comment given that, indeed, we and I have acknowledged the problem of guns in this thread? I suggest going back to read all of what is posted. Again, it is one factor that doesn't tell the entire problem, which has no one locus. Guns have of course been brought up as a problem; the reality is they aren't going away, so the conversation had moved on to other use of force measures that don't inject risk of mortality for either suspect or officer.
    If an armed US cop was chasing me down with a gun you can be sure I'd follow his commands and make sure my hands were visible and not do any sudden movements or cagey actions that could be interpreted as trying to pull a gun on them.

Okay. I might, too. And, so did Adam Toledo, incidentally.

Here, Adam Toledo did follow the command to stop, and show the officer his hands. A moment after seeing Toledo's empty palms, he was shot by the officer.

Again, though, since there is no empirical way to classify what counts as for instance, sudden and cagey movements, why should it make sense for cops to have the Rules of Engagement that say your cagey movements can ethically, legally, and morally result in your immediate death? You, BloodBath, who are being chased down an alleyway by a cop, and feel threatened and wish to surrender, you comply with the officers command, and triggered by some jittery movement or displeased with the angular velocity you used to turn around and face him, the officer empties his firearm into your chest per his standing rules of engagement... ?

fritzelly wrote: »
    Not sure what is hard for you to understand - was running away, had gun in his hand, ordered to show his hands and turns around. He had sealed his fate at that point.
    How's the officer to know he threw it away in those 2 seconds?

He was obviously upset about it when he realised it was a kid and trying to save his life but frankly the kid put himself in that situation

Yet, if the officer had used military rules of engagement, the encounter would not have ended with Adam Toledo dead, and he would have shown his empty hands to the officer and been taken under arrest to face due process in the criminal justice system.

Conversely, if military ROE had been used and Toledo shot, that's also unacceptable, hence, my above discussion on using police tactics that avoid scenarios where it effectively boils down to a game of chicken between a police officer and a suspect who may pull out a weapon by surprise.

The Chicago Police Union head for his part is pouring gasoline on the story.
    The President of the Chicago Police Union, John Catanzara went on Cuomo Prime Time to discuss the fatal shooting of 13-year-old Adam Toledo. He called the actions of the police officer “100% justified” and added, “that officer’s actions were actually heroic.

Adam Toledo was shot early March 29th by a Chicago police officer who was responding to a report of gunfire. The police said the incident was an “armed confrontation” and a gun was found nearby. Since the bodycam footage was released Thursday, there has been a debate over whether or not it shows Toledo holding a gun when he was shot.

Catanzara defended the officer saying, “In reality, an average human being could not block someone from slapping him in the face in less time than that…It’s a good reason why the officer only shot one. He would have been justified to shoot multiple times.

He gave his sympathies to the officers at the scene, “What do you think the officers who responded to that scene and were rendering aid and trying to save his life are now stuck with for the rest of their life? And they got to bring that home to their families, and then their families are affected by this.” [They get to go home to their families.. - Overheal]

He continued, claiming that Toledo was a Latin Kings gang member. [Leveling accusations at the dead charging guilt that will never see a day in court - Overheal] “The poor young kid misguided made a horrible decision that cost him his life, but it was justified.” Remarking on Toledo’s age, Catanzara said, “I will say, he’s 13 years old. We talk about the public school system in Chicago specifically. He should have been in school. [Night Classes at 2 AM?? - Overheal] But we’re not in school learning, now are we?”

Catanzara is no stranger to controversy. Earlier this year he was stripped of his pay and suspended from the force for filing a false police report on former police Supt. Eddie Johnson for his participation in an anti-violence march. Catanzara also received complaints about social media posts where he suggested killing people and called Muslim people “savages” and that “they all deserve a bullet.” He defended the posts saying he was referring to cop killers and people who mutilate women in the name of Islam.

Host Chris Cuomo responded to Catanzara’s comments, “I don’t want to judge the officer as a person. I don’t want to judge the victim. I just want to judge the situation and whether it was reasonable in its midst. I appreciate your commentary. For me, I want to stick to the facts.”

I'm not sure how the actions were Heroic, honestly. I don't ever want to find a video clip of this encounter in the dictionary, under Heroism. Chasing people down alleyways you think might be armed, should be in the dictionary under Stupidity, honestly. And I have no idea how he thinks he is helping by saying 'well, if anything the kid's parents should just be grateful that they only shot him once, since they had every right to shoot him some more' - like, what point are you making, how are you trying to help your community with that statement, Union President Catanzara? Don't even have to consider Catanzara's past controversies, what he's said in this instance itself is, well, raw gasoline and in poor taste.

• Advertisement

The police aren't the bloody military. That's another terrible analogy. And yes hundreds, even thousands / hundreds of thousands of civilians get killed in wartime. Cases of mistaken identity/threat and abuses of power are just as much a reality there.

That's what happens when you put people in dangerous situations where their own lives are at risk.

Modern warfare is mainly conducted from the air and at long ranges with better gear and protection and teams of people. Rarely would a soldier find themselves in a situation like this.

My comments are snarkey because you clearly had an angle on this. One that has now proven to be BS. I know that video was emotive and my initial reaction too was one of disgust with the police officer but with more of the facts I don't blame him.

The thing is you also saw the video and chose to use a still shot of 1 frame before the kid get's shot. That 1 frame is a fraction of a second. I can clearly see the kid was hiding his right hand from view in his pocket and pulled it out suddenly while turning. A huge mistake.

It's just the sad reality of the US and no amount of police reforms is going to fix it. The only way to fix it is massive reforms of your culture and right to bear arms.

That's not as easy as pointing the finger at the police though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,799 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards the cop here. On initial viewing, shocking. But with some further evidence coming to light, it's leaning more in the cops favour (from my understanding of the US Judicial System, which I'll admit is limited). So I rewatched up to the shooting again.

- Suspect could possibly be armed
    - Cop runs after the suspect
    - Shouts a combination of "Stop" and "Show me your hands"
    - Suspect eventually stops
    - "Show me your hands"
    - Suspect starts to turn around while raising hands

Now, yes. Again, on initial viewing he turned around, unarmed, and got shot. However, there was no instruction to turn around, just to show the hands. From the cops point of view, him turning around could have been him turning to shoot. Again, split second decisions, raised tensions not just due to the incident at hand, but also due the ongoing court case and general feelings towards cops right now. So, no instruction to turn around, but he turns around anyway. The cop has no way of knowing in that second if the firearm was dropped, and he turns around while starting to raise his hands, which does also look like raising your hands to shoot back. Yes, his hands were up by the time the shot fired, but i'm sure the brain in the cop had already decided he was turning to shoot, due to the above reasons, and let off 1 shot.

A good defence will get him off. I've gone 180. And while that head of the CPU could have chosen better words, he's not wrong to support the cop right now, because from a police standpoint, he kinda followed protocol. You could say he should have shouted "Raise your hands above your head", but I vaguely remember being told that short, simple words are far more effective than sentences, as in the suspect won't hear all the sentence. We can't also say what he's saying isn't the truth, he could be privvy to info that's not to us, such as possible associations with a gang. We need more facts.

Now, if the suspect had stopped and not turned around but raised his hands, I'm fully convinced he would still be alive. It's the turning that got him. Easy for me and anyone else to say you would do different in the same situation, but I can't imagine being in the same situation because I can't see myself firing off random shots at 2am at the ripe age of 13. Another example of not always black and white. I saw the video, thought it was, but it's still very grey. I think when taking the incident separate to the events up to it, it's not good. But everything combined, facts without emotion, it's in the cops favour. Regardless, it won't go down well overall, but still no rioting for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

What is with Irish peoples weird obsession with American current affairs?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

BanditLuke wrote: »
    What is with Irish peoples weird obsession with American current affairs?

+1

I suppose it's easier to talk about than dealing with issues in our own perfect law and order situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭francois

Some ridiculous mental gymnastics trying to justify another murder by cop going on here

• Advertisement

Like it or not their culture has a widespread effect on the rest of the world. The good and the bad.

It's usually a morbid obsession with the bad. Pretty incomprehensible that the worlds leading super power and wealthiest nation can't seem to get their **** together when the solutions are obvious.

You can ignore it and you're probably better off doing that but that won't make it go away.
    francois wrote: »
    Some ridiculous mental gymnastics trying to justify another murder by cop going on here

A 13 year old gang banger with a gun get's shot and killed in unfortunate circumstances. No mental gymnastics needed. Maybe you should spend some time as a cop in Chicago to learn the reality of the situation. I'm sure this thread wouldn't exist if the cop had been shot and killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Sean Hannity.... "He's a 13 year old............. Man"

Uhmm, yeah I got no words.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,007 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Not in that regard. The gun was recovered beside him ffs! His hand tested positive for residue.

Is holding a gun punishable by death now?

The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards the cop here.

Cop shoots unarmed child who was not resisting and was following orders... Kids fault?
    :rolleyes:

The cop might have thought all manner of things, the reality of the situation is that he shot an unarmed child who was doing what he was told.

An armed child who would probably shoot you for a few hundred dollars.

Virtue signaling nonsense.

WTF is a 13 year old child doing out at 2am in the most dangerous city in the US with a handgun?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Well he should have complied with the offic........

Oh....wait!

why does a 13 year old have a gun?

Virtue signaling nonsense.

WTF is a 13 year old child doing out at 2am in the most dangerous city in the US with a handgun?

If he'd shot the cop dead you wouldn't be hearing a squek about it from the usual virtue signallers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

We need a sub forum for US related threads. Or one thread called. More ****wittery from the US of little interest to Ireland.

There are 1000+ police killings fatal shootings per year in the US. We could start a thread every few days for shootings of black people alone, about 30% of the total. We don’t need new threads. Let’s have one.

The Washington Post keeps a running total of fatal shootings by police throughout the US. For the past five years it's been just shy of 1,000 per year.

But that figure is only for shootings. If you add in choke holds, knees on the neck and good old-style bludgeonings with nightsticks the figure would climb higher. But I have no specific data on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

I'm sure this thread wouldn't exist if the cop had been shot and killed.
    BanditLuke wrote: »
    If he'd shot the cop dead you wouldn't be hearing a squek about it from the usual virtue signallers

Well what would be the chances of that?

The FBI says about 50 cops throughout the entire USA are "feloniously killed" in the course of their duty each year.

The Washington Post says nearly 1,000 people are shot dead BY cops every year.

Cops outgunning the populace in fatal shootings by 20 to 1.

Let's face it: there's far more opportunity to talk about cops killing citizens than the other way round.

Any evidence for any of that?

WTF are Irish 13 year olds out drinking at 2am for?
    If its the most dangerous city in the US then no wonder they were armed....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭R.F.

Usual victim blaming as always on this forum. OK everyone get this out of the way. Yes the kid should not have been out at 2am and certainly should not have had access to a gun.

But the real blame is purely on both society who have failed that kid that has lead him down this track and his death is a result of another cop who has rushed into this situation and shot before thinking. You cant say “hands in the air” and also fire your gun in one motion.

R.F. wrote: »
    Usual victim blaming as always on this forum. OK everyone get this out of the way. Yes the kid should not have been out at 2am and certainly should not have had access to a gun.

But the real blame is purely on both society who have failed that kid that has lead him down this track and his death is a result of another cop who has rushed into this situation and shot before thinking. You cant say “hands in the air” and also fire your gun in one motion.

He was an armed and dangerous criminal, not a victim. A victim of circumstance of his life and American culture maybe but he still had choices. Trying to paint him as some sort of innocent victim is disingenuous.

You don't have time to think when an armed suspect turns suddenly on you like that. He followed standard police training. You don't wait for someone to shoot first and most US citizens should be well drilled at this stage on how to behave around police if you don't want to get shot. That's the price of "freedom".

You either give up those freedoms for more security or you deal with edgy cops and follow the procedure to not get shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭R.F.

Trying to paint him as some sort of innocent victim is disingenuous.

He should be painted as one of the most innocent victims

Its absolutely tragic and he was failed by everyone in life and in death was failed by another trigger happy cop who saw a black guy and shot without hesitation

R.F. wrote: »
    He should be painted as one of the most innocent victims

Its absolutely tragic and he was failed by everyone in life and in death was failed by another trigger happy cop who saw a black guy and shot without hesitation

Will you still be saying that if it turns out he was a gang member who maybe had even killed people?

He wasn't black either but hey don't let me stop you trying to put a racist angle on it. He was mixed race of hispanic origin. Here in Europe we don't regard the Spanish as a different race.

Pathetic.

Some of the most heinous crimes in America are committed by kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭donaghs

I don't even get the gun argument. It's the USA you have the right to bear arms, so I don't get these sissy cops

'' omg he's got a gun, omg omg omg omg ahhhhh cries cries omg omg omg''

wtf Is all that about.

So what if someone has a gun, it's legal to have one. geez.

Chicago has stricter gun laws than most of the US, but also very high gun crime/murders. So the cops should be concerned.

But, shooting should always be the last resort, and is not justifiable in the case of Adam. Even if he had had a gun, he had tossed it.

donaghs wrote: »
    Chicago has stricter gun laws than most of the US, but also very high gun crime/murders. So the cops should be concerned.

But, shooting should always be the last resort, and is not justifiable in the case of Adam.

State gun laws don't mean much when you can go over the state border and grab whatever guns you want. Criminal's don't pay much heed to gun laws anyway.

The only solution is removing the majority of guns from circulation in the entire country.

It will be considered justifiable in court. His actions were textbook police training. The kid was armed seconds before the shooting took place. The cop may have even seen the gun in the pursuit. It was visible in the grainy video. I'm sure the cop had better vision of it than the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

He was an armed and dangerous criminal, not a victim. A victim of circumstance of his life and American culture maybe but he still had choices. Trying to paint him as some sort of innocent victim is disingenuous.

You don't have time to think when an armed suspect turns suddenly on you like that. He followed standard police training. You don't wait for someone to shoot first and most US citizens should be well drilled at this stage on how to behave around police if you don't want to get shot. That's the price of "freedom".

You either give up those freedoms for more security or you deal with edgy cops and follow the procedure to not get shot.

I agree, he had the choice to drop the gun and put his hands up, which he did, he may have committed other crimes at some point so let's be honest, he deserved to be shot dead there and then.

Saves time, saves money, only thing it doesn't save is bullets but there's no shortage of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭screamer

All of this stuff in the US needs a deeper dive into the root cause. That is the right to bear arms. It is destroying the fabric of their society, with terrified, trigger happy people on both sides of law enforcement and breaking. Unfortunately it’s too hard for the US to look into that mirror, so race/ colour/ oppression/ brutality etc keep being blamed, and so long as that goes on, nothing will change and we’ll see more of this unfortunately.

• Advertisement

I see his mates on Twitter are saying "RIP Lil homicide". Real pillar of the community im guessing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement