Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Report on High Percentage of Traveller Unemployment

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭HBC08

Omackeral wrote: »
    Before doing the default thing of lashing Travellers out of it, ask yourself if you’d employ one. Their issues and problems are well documented but just on a real level, while being honest with yourself, would you take one on? It’s easy to tell someone to get a job but if there’s nowhere willing to give you a start it’s a tough predicament.

They'd need to start by putting in an application.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,780 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

HBC08 wrote:
    They'd need to start by putting in an application.

There's no point, most employers wouldn't take them on, our educational and training facilities, and employment system clearly doesn't work for them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭Ckendrick

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    There's no point, most employers wouldn't take them on, our educational and training facilities, and employment system clearly doesn't work for them

These facilities all work perfectly for the very vast majority of citizens.
    Are you suggesting that we change everything that works in the vague hope that a very small amount of people might decide that they want to integrate with the rest of society? Do you know or work with any travellers wanderer. I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Pointing the finger won't work, as that's exactly what we ve always been doing, a radically different approach is needed

Bending over backwards is what we've been doing

Far too much carrot and not near enough stick

Because they have an overly generous welfare system to cushion them, there are no consequences to leaving school with no qualifications for travellers, also no financial consequences for having ten children, no consequences for trashing accommodation

Travellers live a life devoid of responsibility and the left fully support this, everyone looses yet the same left want us to allow them write policy for the next few decades

It's a bad joke

• Advertisement

Ckendrick wrote: »
    These facilities all work perfectly for the very vast majority of citizens.
    Are you suggesting that we change everything that works in the vague hope that a very small amount of people might decide that they want to integrate with the rest of society? Do you know or work with any travellers wanderer. I do.
    Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Bending over backwards is what we've been doing

Far too much carrot and not near enough stick
    Because they have an overly generous welfare system to cushion them, there are no consequences to leaving school with no qualifications for travellers, also no financial consequences for having ten children, no consequences for trashing accommodation

Travellers live a life devoid of responsibility and the left fully support this, everyone looses yet the same left want us to allow them write policy for the next few decades

It's a bad joke

im sorry to break it to you folks, but our educational and training facilities, and systems, fail an enormous of people, from both settlers to travelers, and beyond. many folks in the trades and alternatives, would effectively fall into these employment avenues, after struggling their way through these systems, only to be spat out along the way. our educational system in academically biased, when many humans are simply not designed as so, baring in mind, society requires many different types of people to function, from academically trained, to trades, alternatives etc etc etc. when all of the above fails, you end up on the dole, or worse.......our reality!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Pointing the finger won't work, as that's exactly what we ve always been doing, a radically different approach is needed

I can see where you coming from. In a modern economy there are very limited employment opportunities for those that leave school early. The change in attitude towards education needs to come from within the traveller community themselves. Now there are more going onto third level etc so hopefully others in the community will be influenced by that but it’s going to be a slow change. Do they need homework clubs or other initiatives to help them bridge the gap educationally. That is where the state can play a part.
    If you have low education attained and are unskilled you end up with only low paying jobs being your options. Leaving you in a situation where you cannot support a family on those wages. That poverty trap is very hard to get out off.

I know a traveller who is a nurse and she has worked since she qualified. She was mostly raised by a foster family who really encouraged her to finish school and go on the third level. The other siblings of hers that I know don’t have jobs. The difference is her education and qualifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Wanderer78 wrote:

Why don't the facilities and system work for them?

mohawk wrote: »
    I can see where you coming from. In a modern economy there are very limited employment opportunities for those that leave school early. The change in attitude towards education needs to come from within the traveller community themselves. Now there are more going onto third level etc so hopefully others in the community will be influenced by that but it’s going to be a slow change. Do they need homework clubs or other initiatives to help them bridge the gap educationally. That is where the state can play a part.
    If you have low education attained and are unskilled you end up with only low paying jobs being your options. Leaving you in a situation where you cannot support a family on those wages. That poverty trap is very hard to get out off.

I know a traveller who is a nurse and she has worked since she qualified. She was mostly raised by a foster family who really encouraged her to finish school and go on the third level. The other siblings of hers that I know don’t have jobs. The difference is her education and qualifications.

we ve been trying this approach also, im not convinced its working, yes numbers are increasing, very slowly, of travelers continuing education, but i actually think this is also largely failing. the only thing i can think of is encouraging them to become self employed, to provide services for each other, but im sure that would also be fraught with problems, due to feuding etc

bobbyss wrote: »
    Why don't the facilities and system work for them?

this is not an easy one to answer, and i dont think anyone knows for definite, but it does seem to me anyway, complex psychological disorders are playing a part, but only a part, theres more than likely deep social problems at play within these communities, to the point we may not truly understand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭eggy81

Nothing will work.

ED E wrote: »
    Another govt report says 11.5%, triple the general populace.
    It's 9% or 11.5% depending on how you measure employment and the proportion of people at working age. But with the latter measurement, the settled people's disability incidence also rises to 5%.

So nowhere near the majority of/ most ravellers are on disability. That claim is completely false.
    This post will probably be silently deleted too as only certain "truth" is permitted here.
    Lol? Yeah watch out for Novachok on your hall door, too.

eggy81 wrote: »
    Nothing will work.

maybe, but we cant give up, as this is festering, everyone is getting p1ssed off with the current situation regarding them, theyre not gonna simply go away, criminal activates are high in the community, this is an everybody problem

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭thegetawaycar

How does one get the ethnic status of traveller? I ask as a serious question, can I just decide to be a traveller, do I need to be born into a known traveller family etc...?

I actually believe in a lot of cases now the issue is that older generation travellers hold back the newer/younger members from becoming employed/educated. They don't want to let go of the past and believe it will kill their traditions.
    A lot of younger travellers do quite well in primary school but it is frowned upon as they get older.

I went to school with a few and as they got past junior cert (if they didn't drop out) they had to pretty much avoid their own community as they were being harrassed, they started hanging around with non-travellers a lot more and the 2 I still know now have decent jobs and a lot of the younger travellers look up to them and want to be like them.

More role models like that being encouraged will help the next generation.

Even the ones that dropped out are back being friendly with them and encourage their kids to look up to them. The mindset is beginning to change but it will be VERY slow. It's probably easier to do for the ones that are settled travellers as they get more inbedded in their community.

Dare I say it, some of the problems are deeply embedded in their own culture.

One of the ladies I worked with (coincidentally, they were all young women) told me that she was getting a very hard time at home for not being married and not wanting children (yet). She was 26, and her father in particular was putting a lot of pressure on her. She said their menfolk were absolutely against women working outside the home and that in their view, men worked and made the money and women should be at home looking after the house and the children.

After she finished the programme, she did continue working, but the only job she could get was in childcare. She couldn't find an office anywhere that would give her a start in an admin role.

eggy81 wrote: »
    Nothing will work.

of course it will , travellers are no less inherently capable than anyone else , the problem is cultural , their culture is completely incompatible with a twenty first century economy and needs to be left behind .

shoe makers
    men who shoed horses

the list is long of obsolete ways of life or ways to earn a living , the sons and daughters of shoe makers and blacksmiths realised that life no longer had value and made the decision to learn skills suited to a modernising country , the left seem to want travellers to be some kind of state subsidised museum , the tax payer cant afford it and worse still its the bigotry of low expectations towards travellers , they are humans , not exotic animals

we need to take back traveller policy from the progressive left , its been an abject failure.

of course it will , travellers are no less inherently capable than anyone else , the problem is cultural , their culture is completely incompatible with a twenty first century economy and needs to be left behind .

shoe makers
    men who shoed horses

the list is long of obsolete ways of life or ways to earn a living , the sons and daughters of shoe makers and blacksmiths realised that life no longer had value and made the decision to learn skills suited to a modernising country , the left seem to want travellers to be some kind of state subsidised museum.
    You can't get a farrier for love nor money. They are in extremely high demand. Training programmes to specifically divert young travellers into trades like farriery, lorry driving, equitation and related jobs in the equine industry is exactly the type of thing that is needed.

You can't get a farrier for love nor money. They are in extremely high demand. Training programmes to specifically divert young travellers into trades like farriery, lorry driving, equitation and related jobs in the equine industry is exactly the type of thing that is needed.

cant see travellers going for truck driving , very poor pay , no wonder most are eastern european in terms of younger drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

cant see travellers going for truck driving , very poor pay , no wonder most are eastern european in terms of younger drivers
    Source?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

Truck driving isn't very poorly paid. My understanding was that it was a good income.

Anyway, I was on a different tangent, meaning specifically the ability to drive a horsebox lorry. Guys who do that on racing yards and other establishments usually also work on the yard, and I'm mentioning it because they also are in short supply, like farriers are.

I wonder has there ever been a programme to specifically get young travellers into schemes for targeted industries where young traveller men and women show an existing interest. Something like RACE, which is for trainee jockeys, but for a wider array of trades.

• Advertisement

Truck driving isn't very poorly paid. My understanding was that it was a good income.

Anyway, I was on a different tangent, meaning specifically the ability to drive a horsebox lorry. Guys who do that on racing yards and other establishments usually also work on the yard, and I'm mentioning it because they also are in short supply, like farriers are.

I wonder has there ever been a programme to specifically get young travellers into schemes for targeted industries where young traveller men and women show an existing interest. Something like RACE, which is for trainee jockeys, but for a wider array of trades.

per hour , its barely above minimum wage , they do a lot more driving than officially recorded , any driver will tell you that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Truck driving pay is absolutely rubbish. You'd be lucky to see 30k a year for 60 hr weeks before taxes. You'd get better pay 25 years ago driving a rigid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭jmreire

per hour , its barely above minimum wage , they do a lot more driving than officially recorded , any driver will tell you that

Add a few thousand € spent on getting the different licnces all the way up to Artic, and the CPC, Safe Pass certification , ADR. etc.Not to mention nights spent sleeping in the cab in the middle of winter. Its not everyones cup of tea for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

this is not an easy one to answer, and i dont think anyone knows for definite, but it does seem to me anyway, complex psychological disorders are playing a part, but only a part, theres more than likely deep social problems at play within these communities, to the point we may not truly understand

Is it the facilities and systems that are failing them? Or their own culture.

jmreire wrote: »
    Add a few thousand € spent on getting the different licnces all the way up to Artic, and the CPC, Safe Pass certification , ADR. etc.Not to mention nights spent sleeping in the cab in the middle of winter. Its not everyones cup of tea for sure.

It's a skilled job which is completely unrewarded, insurance costs etc make haulage a tight margin business so not having a go at employers

• Registered Users Posts: 81,516 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Is it the facilities and systems that are failing them? Or their own culture.

Or is it Ireland’s culture that is failing?

Replacing the word traveler with black and reading this thread reveals fascinating attitudes/relationships in Irish culture about their segregated minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Overheal wrote: »

Replacing the word traveler with black and reading this thread reveals fascinating attitudes/relationships in Irish culture about their segregated minority.

Have you ever met a traveler?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

why not replace it with the word cat instead because they outright refuse to work and only do as they please?
    But I guess that wouldn’t serve your purpose of calling everyone a racist

• Registered Users Posts: 81,516 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Lillyfae wrote: »
    Have you ever met a traveler?

Yes. I’m not the topic though am I.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

There is absolutely no comparison between black people and travellers. Utterly disparaging remark towards black people.

Advertisement