Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A hostile relative now working at GP practice I attend

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,990 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Do you even have to explain why you need to change GP? I wouldn't bother. Get into the new GP first. Then -Simply call and explain that you would like your files and personal information transferred to the new GP as soon as possible. Tell your family members to do the same. GP would probably need the request in writing too. Either e-mail or hand-deliver a note for the same.
    Two issues.
    It's difficult to actually find a new GP at the minute to sign up new patients, even before the pandemic.
    Then if they were successful in doing so, asking for your files to be transferred over from the current GP, well I'd imagine it's the administrator who puts together all the files for transferring anyway so that is counterproductive.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭sporina

vladmydad wrote: »
    Thank you. She worked at another medical facility for years. Needless to say we avoided it like the plague. This came out of the blue. I’m going to call the GP tomorrow and tell him to seal our records immediately as someone we’ve had terrible trouble with before now has access to our most private information.

Hi OP, did you get this sorted?

I would hate if this happened to me.. I would be on to my GP 1st thing.. and if you and your family are with them for years then I am sure they would do everything in their power to ensure your confidentiality is maintained..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

wildwillow wrote: »
    Be careful of any comments made about the receptionist, you may be correct but it could be seen as libel.

Not sure the GP will be happy with your opinion of his new employee!

I really sympathise with your situation and would leave the practice ASAP. But don't dig a hole for yourself.

Very distressing for you, especially after a berevement.
    It’s only libel if it’s untrue. I’d be in full survival mode and would do whatever I could legally to protect my sensitive personal information.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Ring them to today and ask to speak to the practice manager. If she's just started then she'll be on her probationary period. If an employer has any concerns or misgivings at that stage they can terminate without notice.

If you voice your concerns to the GP and cite concrete instances of where she has divulged private medical information she was privy to in her last job outside of a professional context they won't want to continue with her employment because she would be too much of a liability to them.

The practice manager might be able to secure your personal information before she starts working on the system. And you'd be giving them a valuable heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

Two issues.
    It's difficult to actually find a new GP at the minute to sign up new patients, even before the pandemic.
    Probably - but that wasn't what the OP was asking.
    Then if they were successful in doing so, asking for your files to be transferred over from the current GP, well I'd imagine it's the administrator who puts together all the files for transferring anyway so that is counterproductive.
    Indeed. But as the relative will most probably be in training, it will not be them who effects the transfer will it? It will be the Senior Admin/Practice Manager, I would imagine...
    My original points still stand.

• Advertisement

^ if it's a small practice,there may only be one administrator. OP says this lady worked in another centre for years do there may be no training in period really if she's been doing the job years and she may be there alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

vladmydad wrote: »
    Yes and the GP’s at the practice have computers in their individual offices. Mine regularly gets up my file on it and prints out prescriptions from it. So surly he can do something to restrict access.

Imagine the nosy person in your area, whom your family has had legal issues with years ago, suddenly has your entire family’s medical history at the tips of her fingers, that’s the situation we’ve found ourselves in.

Does she know you are with that practice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

LilacNails wrote: »
    One idea you could do, is write a letter to your doctor with "FAO Dr. Healy" On it. Explain the situation and maybe ask to change your name to an Irish spelling in the system? She wouldn't think to look u up like that. And if u do get in contact with the doctors again u simply spell out your name.

Again, who do you think is going to be given the task of doing this name change? You guessed it the receptoinist/admin.

The only thing you could do as talk to your doctor and state that you have grave concerns about the nosy relative and ask that the doctor themselves personally change the file, or put it out of reach of the relative, or pass it on to your new Dr.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭C3PO

The only solution is to do what was suggested before - ring and speak to the practice manager. Tell them that you do not want your records accessed by your relative. I would be surprised if their is not a log of who/when records are accessed on their IT system.
    And then find a new GP!

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭LilacNails

Again, who do you think is going to be given the task of doing this name change? You guessed it the receptoinist/admin.

The only thing you could do as talk to your doctor and state that you have grave concerns about the nosy relative and ask that the doctor themselves personally change the file, or put it out of reach of the relative, or pass it on to your new Dr.

The Dr could do it themselves, click onto OPs file, edit, type name. Done.

• Advertisement

Youre all assuming the files are digital.
    Many practices are only getting up to speed with digital now and still have archives of hard copy files.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭Tork

Youre all assuming the files are digital.
    Many practices are only getting up to speed with digital now and still have archives of hard copy files.

They've probably lost progress on that front because of Covid too. When I last visited the doctor at the start of last year, my file was retrieved from a filing cabinet. I think some of the info was on computer as well but it certainly wasn't all digital.

Also, getting the files encrypted or stored away from the administrator isnt going to be enough.
    Essentially, if OP wants no dealings with the relative in the future, they'll need to change practices entirely because the next time the OP needs a dr, they will be coming face to face with the relative anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭sporina

i don't think we will hear from the OP again :(

hope they got it sorted though..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

sporina wrote: »
    i don't think we will hear from the OP again :(

hope they got it sorted though..

MOD NOTE

Bear in mind the Charter here sporina-no OP is ever obliged to update posters on their situation and posters shouldn't seek an update from them.

Thanks

HS

Advertisement