Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

new ACR feature, 'super resolution

Options
  • 25-03-2021 12:10am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭

anyone been playing with this? it's an additional feature in camera raw which will double the raw file on both horizontal and vertical axes, and gives better results than using photoshop standard resizing - basically adding ML resizing (though fixed to doubling on each axis) which hadn't been available in PS.
    on my 5 year old system, the standard resizing takes about 5 seconds, but this option takes several minutes and outputs a new DNG file.

funny thing is, on the first file i tried it on, i think the 'traditional' method worked better; the slight jaggedness on the resize actually makes it look slightly crisper.

apols for the large images; i deliberately chose one that would require upscaling; original was shot at 300mm on the cheap sigma 70-300mm lens. 12MP.
    first shot is the full frame, then the standard resize, then the new resize.

548015.jpg

548016.jpg

548017.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I meant to have a look at this the other night, thanks for reminding me.

100% crop comparison of your image.

548089.png

I agree, to my taste, the old method looks sharper.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Oletimer

Please forgive me, but what exactly is the abbreviation ACR? And is it available on a Canon 5D MkIII, or a Nikon D850?

Thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's Adobe Camera Raw, so not specific to a camera. comes with photoshop.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Oletimer

Thank you for that.

I do not have Adobe Photoshop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Rikp2005

Looks to me when viewed at 100% there's some noise reduction thrown in, the new one definitely looks softer, but with less noise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 retoos

When looking at it from a distance, it's evident that the latest one seems less and less obvious of a distinction, but in after, all models appear nearly clear but a bit dim.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Here's my quick test. The image is a severe crop from a 24pm RAW at ISO 100 (Sony A7iii). I didn't do any other processing other than the default that ACR does opening Sony RAW files.

Good light and low ISO, so noise isn't a factor. I think there's a little more detail in the Super Resolution version. Edit: actually, if you look at them at 100% (on a desktop/laptop) the Super Enhanced version is a fair bit sharper and more detailed. See side by side at the very bottom.

Original 100% crop:

51096393377_c4722a5262_o.png

Legacy 200% resize in Photoshop:

51096378344_662a1de9c1_o.png

ACR Super Resolution resize:

51096842068_54ed6fa454_o.png

51097155770_5a478dc0ac_o.png

Sony A7iii Sony SAL-70400G (with LA-EA5 adapter) @400mm f5.6 ISO 100 1/500s

Advertisement