Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

I'm surprised he didn't offer to swap. I am talking to him about a movement swap and he had mentioned that it's no issue to use the 7S date wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭micks_address

david wrote: »
    I'm surprised he didn't offer to swap. I am talking to him about a movement swap and he had mentioned that it's no issue to use the 7S date wheel.

I'm ok with it. I've enough of posting watches lately so happy to leave it

Ah crap... talked to Neil this morning via email and he said send it back and he'll do the swap. I guess what's one more post office visit

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

unkel wrote: »
    OceanX Sharkmaster Professional SMS1012...

A very nice watch! Did you get it on Serious Watches?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Pablo_Flox wrote: »
    A very nice watch! Did you get it on Serious Watches?

No, sold out for ages. Got one on a forum in the UK first but the seller was a prick and it fell through. Got this one on eBay, second hand, a year old, still payed about the same as the new price was from Serious Watches. These watches are popular and seem to keep their value very well

It's also surprisingly comfortable to wear for such a big and heavy watch. It's not really flopping about at all, which I expected it to do.

Here is a short review which will give you a good idea of the watch, if you haven't seen it yet

My only criticism of the watch is that I would have liked some sort of quick bracelet adjustment mechanism like a glidelock. I have sized the watch (needing all extra links!) to perfection for most of the time, but when my wrist swells occasionally it is a bit too tight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭redlead

OceanX Sharkmaster Professional G]

Size looks perfect on you. I really love that James Cameron dial I have to say. The finishing on that looks really excellent for the money going off that video you put up.

• Advertisement

Yeah a €300 watch that looks and feels like a €1000 watch. Does the original Rolex version really look and feel the €12,300 retail price or more than that on the grey market?

Yeah a €300 watch that looks and feels like a €1000 watch. Does the original Rolex version really look and feel the €12,300 retail price or more than that on the grey market?

Careful, you will set off the fanboys :P:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Pablo_Flox wrote: »
    Careful, you will set off the fanboys :P:D

I am suitably triggered :D.

I'm a Rolex fanboi myself. Does that mean I'm now self-triggered? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭893bet

The Rolex cost 40 times and is definately not 40 times better.

Is it 10 percent better? Is it 50 percent better? Twice as good? More? Doesn’t really matter. It’s arbitrary. We can all agree the Rolex will be a better watch (it would want to be...!).

I want the extra 1 percent, 10 percent etc. Breaking everything down to a value sucks the life from this hobby.

• Advertisement

893bet wrote: »
    Breaking everything down to a value sucks the life from this hobby.

I wouldn't say that now. Despite what I said, I feel Rolex are great. If I got offered the Rolex for €10k, I'd buy it today.
    I want the extra 1 percent, 10 percent etc.

Aye. I have no problem paying (a lot) extra for the real thing

• Registered Users Posts: 16,340 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I want the extra 1 percent, 10 percent etc. Breaking everything down to a value sucks the life from this hobby.

I agree with you, when it comes to the high-end.
    I mean stupid as it sounds to some, sometimes just the extra little bit of width in the smile that comes with a high end piece on your wrist must bring is worth the additional cost.

At the lower end of the scale, most folk are happy that their watch is "nearly" as good.
    Of course at the AL&S and VC end of the scale, the extra bit of finishing, of quality and of pride in ownership is an added value that is hard to quantify but certainly (I'd think) feel worth it on your wrist.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭This is it

I bought my Rolex collection from Wish

This is it wrote: »
    I bought my Rolex collection from Wish

Don't you be opening that can of worms again :D

I wouldn't say that now. Despite what I said, I feel Rolex are great. If I got offered the Rolex for €10k, I'd buy it today.

g

If offered the JC Cameron for 20 percent below market who wouldn’t buy assuming they had the cash on the hip for a quick profit.

Question is are you willing to pay the market rate for it. When it’s costs 40 times more than that fake one and is no where near 40 times better.

If offered the JC Cameron for 20 percent below market who wouldn’t buy assuming they had the cash on the hip for a quick profit.

Question is are you willing to pay the market rate for it. When it’s costs 40 times more than that fake one and is no where near 40 times better.

There is more to a quality watch than its value. They are personal achievements. I have a patient at the moment with a lovely brand new rose gold Rolex Cellini. Not a popular model and certainly of a less popular style. A beauty of a watch, moon phase and all. He paid full retail for it. Said it spoke to him, he wanted it and he bought is as a 50th birthday present for himself after some canny investments came to fruition. No watch collecting history.

On speaking to him, he is not that knowledgeable on Rolex or watches in general. He just wanted that for himself. He valued the possession of it for himself, and fair fcuks to him. He knows what he had to do to get it, he knows the sacrifice he made for it and all that is wrapped into the watch. Those things have no value to anyone else but him. Its a quality timepiece for a quality gentleman. Thats what's worth paying for, and that what homages cant touch.

I see a lot of the vintage pieces on here and they mean nothing to me, but I see to stories of searching, and bidding and refurbishment and research behind them and that I can relate to. There is effort behind it.

A homage is a disposable purchase bought on a whim, it means nothing, it has no substance, no story and no effort. Its a soulless facsimile that does nothing except remind you that you do not have the real thing. Some people do not care to have the real thing and thats cool, its a niche thing. I am done with hommages, I had a few and found them depressing, and none of them were bad "watches".....just they gave me bad vibes.

My 2c...wear what you like, buy what you like, respect all opinions.

y5vQUdd.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Jude13

Second one was my last flight in about September. Pan Am inspired watch in it's natural habitat.
    d63p9fH.jpg

0nQYjAY.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,549 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Jude13 wrote: »
    Second one was my last flight in about September. Pan Am inspired watch in it's natural habitat.

Nice I can smell the bvlgari from here ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,555 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I miss flying :(

• Advertisement

Ditto, booked some flights for the 12th Dec, lets see if it happens.

Of all the Rolex ceramic bezels I think the Pepsi’s is a step above.

Jude13 wrote: »

Lovely watch, thats one of my favourite Rolex at the moment. I think the new ceramic bezel has great colours, less cartoon than the old pre ceramic. Also the jubilee suits it well, for some reason I dont like it on the Batman but on the Pepsi its great. Nice one

I dreamed of the original as a kid and am very lucky to get my hands on this one not long after they launched from and OD. I have to say I prefer the old one's colours and the jubilee bracelet is a bit blingy for me. Still love it, they are time things. Though that opinion is from wearing the new one, and only ever seeing the old one through shop windows or in picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

I had misplaced this watch since February, we took a trip to Munich. I found the watch on the attic floor where it had fallen out of whatever suitcase pocket I had put it in. I'm going to invest in a watch roll for travel, whenever it resumes.
    After 6 months in the attic it was still running and accurate, great reserve or power management for a solar watch.

It's a casio Oceanus T200, I have it's Titanium predecessor the S100 too. I think I prefer the simple look of the T200.
    Glad to have it back in the watchbox.
    532203.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

happy ending. would hate to not know where a watch is...

Bought this last week after nearly taking a lump out of my Longines Conquest doing a few bits around the house. It looks to have been on sale in a few spots but plenty out there selling it for £200+ so happy with the price I got it for. Will do to wear daily :)

124185464_10214395091590326_904493673693954671_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&ccb=2&_nc_sid=110474&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ohc=zOednG7L2sgAX8WPKnt&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&tp=14&oh=7b948dd6a68de6640fa8e61e8d388b83&oe=5FCDE73A

124359681_10214395091070313_6680875910918217749_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&ccb=2&_nc_sid=110474&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ohc=S1u8XqbtD1oAX_dcryI&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&tp=14&oh=26848e48644c7732d0d0a726be7633bf&oe=5FCE9229

And yes, the aul arm hair could probably do with a trim looking at those :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

c7263a418ecdabb1b20a8e7c48f76e12.gif

That you?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

This is it wrote: »
    Bought this last week after nearly taking a lump out of my Longines Conquest doing a few bits around the house. It looks to have been on sale in a few spots but plenty out there selling it for £200+ so happy with the price I got it for. Will do to wear daily :)

And yes, the aul arm hair could probably do with a trim looking at those :D

I dunno, it's kinda fetching the way it all bunches up around the too-tight strap :pac:

• Advertisement

Birneybau wrote: »
    I dunno, it's kinda fetching the way it all bunches up around the too-tight strap :pac:

I can't wear a watch with the strap in any way loose at all. If it's loose it always ends up rotating so that when I turn my wrist to read the time it's still facing up, or slightly away from me. Really annoying. Probably not good for the strap but generally I push the watch higher up my wrist until it's tight and won't move giving me a better viewing angle. Anyone else.have this issue?

Advertisement