Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aldi coming to Bailieborough

Options
  • 28-11-2013 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭

I see in this weeks Anglo Celt that Aldi have applied for planning in Bailieborough opposite Tesco. I wish there was one in Cootehill as there is no competition in the town at all...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Tinkerbell4484

Is there really a need for one though? Other then job creation I think it'll be pointless. Unless they bring KFC/McDonald's with them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

How is it pointless!?? It's great to have the option to other local stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

Is there really a need for one though? Other then job creation I think it'll be pointless. Unless they bring KFC/McDonald's with them

Theres a difference in promoting jobs and promoting obesity! Better idea buy the food in Aldi or wherever and cook it at home, way nicer and healthier...lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

muincav wrote: »
    I see in this weeks Anglo Celt that Aldi have applied for planning in Bailieborough opposite Tesco. I wish there was one in Cootehill as there is no competition in the town at all...

I live here in Bailieborough and all the local shops and tesco have got together to block them . I can see Aldi getting a shop here though . They tried that with tesco and also the tesco garage and well look what happened .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Tesco's blocking aldi! well.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 cininu

any news about Aldi shop in Bailieboro?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Plastic Cavanman

I think the blocking attempt has failed and work is supposed to be starting later on this year.

Than should start to build it, I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 8 farmerboy01

I know this is an old thread and the deed has been done , but when are the traders in the town that pushed to get the Aldi planning overturned going to realise that to get "footfall" on the main street you firstly have to get people near the town , Aldi would have brought them within a few hundred meters of aforesaid main street , if the existing shops cant attract shoppers those few hundred meters then they haven't a hope of bringing them from the next town , especially when that neighbouring towns neighbour has either aldi or lidl !!

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Planning is a joke..

Aldi after being rejected in Bailieborough then tried to get approval for an edge of town site in Kingscourt. However this was blocked as it would be bringing shoppers away from the center of Kingscourt.

In a typically Irish twist, SuperValu in Kingscourt, who were central in blocking Aldi, has now secured planning on the very site Aldi was refused on in Kingscourt and will be bringing their store from its town center location to this edge of town location.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic

Carrickmacross is what the other towns in the area should be looking at,they have Aldi,Lidl and a Super Valu in the town and its always busy.
    I live in Kingscourt and the amount of run down buildings on the main street is worrying,the town is falling into neglect although its great to see them renovating Gartlands pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

Al_Coholic wrote: »
    Carrickmacross is what the other towns in the area should be looking at,they have Aldi,Lidl and a Super Valu in the town and its always busy.
    I live in Kingscourt and the amount of run down buildings on the main street is worrying,the town is falling into neglect although its great to see them renovating Gartlands pub.

We here in Cootehill would welcome Aldi, Lidl or Tesco with open arms...all we have here is Super Valu and he has NO competition...so iid any of the above companies are looking in, give Cootehill a try...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 farmerboy01

muincav wrote: »
    We here in Cootehill ...all we have here is Super Valu and he has NO competition...so iid any of the above companies are looking in, give Cootehill a try...;)

though with fairness he aint too bad compared to S.valu in B.boro , they have a poor range and 70% of supervalu,s advertised offers never appear in the store , I tell you , the fe***rs crying in these smaller towns cant see past their own tills and realise that if other large stores come to town , SO WILL THE CUSTOMERS >>>>>>>>>>>>> Grrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

sorry anyone in bailiborough as thread title suggests. heard recently that aldi had commenced early stages work on site preparation for a new store in Cootehill.

this is a old rumour now at this stage,but being told physical works on the ground taking place.

anyone else know of this??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭celt262

ruwithme wrote: »
    sorry anyone in bailiborough as thread title suggests. heard recently that aldi had commenced early stages work on site preparation for a new store in Cootehill.

this is a old rumour now at this stage,but being told physical works on the ground taking place.

anyone else know of this??

I don'r think there is even planning permission for an Aldi in Cootehill.

Edit: I just heard that there is one been built in Cootehill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

celt262 wrote: »
    I don'r think there is even planning permission for an Aldi in Cootehill.

Edit: I just heard that there is one been built in Cootehill

Can't come across any planning permission for this. But locally the word is it's true??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭celt262

ruwithme wrote: »
    Can't come across any planning permission for this. But locally the word is it's true??

Seems to be yes.

Advertisement