Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Madden BFL - Fantasy NFL League interest?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Just saw the ESPN draft board. That's a wacky draft board. The idea of getting Rodgers at 4, Brady at 6, Brees at 8, Stafford at 13 or Graham at 20 is exciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

wont be able to make the draft can do tues or the earlier wed, think theres the same amount of people available to both.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Raoul

empacher wrote: »
    wont be able to make the draft can do tues or the earlier wed, think theres the same amount of people available to both.

Yeah I cant make it either. Will try and get a mate to do it for me instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭NekoChan

I am no idea what I am doing btw... anyone want to post a crash course on fantasy football or recommend a link to check out?

also, what happens if people cant make the draft time?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

NekoChan wrote: »
    I am no idea what I am doing btw... anyone want to post a crash course on fantasy football or recommend a link to check out?

also, what happens if people cant make the draft time?

This + 100, Something has come up and now wont be around most likely for the draft

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

If you are not there the cpu will draft your team for you.

You can set preferences, what position you want drafted in each round and rank the players you want rated highest, this is worth doing if you cant make the draft.

For anyone who hasn't played before its pretty easy, and all good fun.

There are some good articles over on espn that are worth a read:

Draft day manifesto:

http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/football/ffl/story?page=NFLDK2K12_TMRManifesto

Draft kit, projections rakings etc:

http://games.espn.go.com/frontpage/ffldraftkit

You can do mock drafts too on nfl.com or on espn.com.

Do one or 2 before the actual draft.

Feel free to post any questions you have.

If you cannot make the draft and it will be autopicked, you can change your pre-draft player rankings by first clicking on the my team page inside the league and on the Edit Pre-Draft Player Rankings button. There you can use the interactive list to move your rankings up and down. You may want to do this, a lot. I think ESPN rankings are absolutely all over the place. MJD above Tom Brady is one mind boggling rank, and there are many others. After making these changes, click on the save rankings button at the top or the bottom of the page. Just below the Edit Pre-Draft Rankings button is the edit Autopick strategy. This is especially handy for those who don't want to end up with 5 kickers. Here you can set limits on the number of players to draft (I would advise 2 for QB, 1 for K, 1 for DEF and 2 for TE) and tell the CPU in which round to draft which player. This can be tought because you don't know your spot and who will be there, so telling the CPU to pick QB in the first round could land you Aaron Rodgers, or it could land you Tony Romo. Many players will leave defense and kicker until the last 2 rounds because most people play the matchups. I would advise doing the same. The default option is to pick the best available, but you can also tell the CPU to pick the best out of the QBs and RBs or QBs and WRs which is very handy for the first round pick. These are the settings I would choose:
    1. QB/RB
    2. RB or WR
    3. RB or WR
    4. RB or WR
    5. RB or WR (Try to get 2 RBs and 2 WRs in the first 5 at least)
    6. QB
    7. WR
    8. WR
    9. WR or RB
    10. TE (The art of drafting tight ends is too hard for autopick. There are so few top ones it's hard to know. The 145-160 pick range will give you a serviceable TE like Jermaine Gresham/Greg Olsen for sure)
    11-15. Whatever
    16. Kicker
    17. Defense

Player limits:
    QB. 2
    RB. 5
    WR. 6
    TE. 2
    K. 1
    DEF. 1

For advice on drafting, I suggest Matthew Berry's love/hate column on ESPN. Some don't like his writing styles, but I think his logic is on the ball.

For those who will be at the draft, I don't have any advice to give you're on your own, I haven't done an ESPN draft before.

And finally, how the snake draft works. The order for the first round is randomised, and after every round the order is reversed. So 1 picks 32 next, 2 picks 31 etc.

are we go for this?

are we go for this?

I assume so, only 4 and a half hours to go.

matthew8 wrote: »
    I assume so, only 4 and a half hours to go.

im working at half 10, whats the normal time length, if i can get my first 3/4 picks in. it wont be so bad!

• Advertisement

im working at half 10, whats the normal time length, if i can get my first 3/4 picks in. it wont be so bad!

Maybe 1 and a quarter to 2 hours for the 17 picks, not quite sure. If you're literally only leaving half an hour in you should get the money rounds done and as long as you've set your autopick strategy you will be fine. Last year I was in division 5 boards league, and the winner was an autopicked team. It did a pretty good job, getting him Brees, LeSean McCoy, Crosby and Packers defense.

Something strange happening with my ESPN account, I had it set up years ago and I am signed in and all but when I went to set my draft board it asked me to sign in again and says it doesn't recognise my email or member name :confused:. Got them to email me to reset my password, it recognises my email but the link in the email they sent doesn't work.

So any chance I can be kicked from the league and I have a new account set up and I can join asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

What time is this starting at?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭The_Gatsby

ESPNs site is a nightmare to navigate! i'm logged in but cannot find a way to actually view the leagues I'm in i.e. the boards one.

EDIT: Found it as soon as I posted...typical :P Now...how do I set my draft order? Hmmm....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

What time is this starting at?

10pm dave,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭linebacker52

i thought it was at eight i cant make ten

Rob, you going to split the league into divisions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Looking forward to this :)

Yeah divisions sounds good too!

I'd like one big league rather than divisions. It's fairer and everyone is your rival.

I'd like one big league rather than divisions. It's fairer and everyone is your rival.

Dont understand this, you wont have a game against everyone anyway so how is it fairer?

• Advertisement

adrian522 wrote: »
    Dont understand this, you wont have a game against everyone anyway so how is it fairer?

It's fairer in the sense that a team can't go 7-9 and make the playoffs.

It's fairer in the sense that a team can't go 7-9 and make the playoffs.

What does that mean? We wont be playing 16 games so no one will go 7-9. we only play 13 games in regular season.

At least if you have divisions you play everyone in your division.

We have 6 playoff teams so makes more sense to have 4 division winners and 2 wildcards rather than top 6.
    If you are first or second makes the last week or 2 meaningless in one big league.

adrian522 wrote: »
    What does that mean? We wont be playing 16 games so no one will go 7-9. we only play 13 games in regular season.

I was referring to the NFL divisions, in which a team with a negative record recently made the playoffs over 2 10-6 teams.
    At least if you have divisions you play everyone in your division.
    Not true. Last year I was tied for first in my division on 10-3, lost on points differential. I didn't play that guy in the entire year.
    If you are first or second makes the last week or 2 meaningless in one big league.
    This is invalid. If you are clear as a top seed in a big league and have garbage weeks, you are also clear as a top seed in a 4 division setup and have garbage weeks.

Draft order is up, I'm picking 11th.

Hopefully it gets split into divisons, will make it much more interesting.

13. Was hoping for much better. I pray Matthew Stafford is there.

3rd pick :D

Is it not better to go HB rather than QB?

Raoul wrote: »
    Something strange happening with my ESPN account, I had it set up years ago and I am signed in and all but when I went to set my draft board it asked me to sign in again and says it doesn't recognise my email or member name :confused:. Got them to email me to reset my password, it recognises my email but the link in the email they sent doesn't work.

So any chance I can be kicked from the league and I have a new account set up and I can join asap.
    Ehhh any chance I can get the details of this resent please? Or does anyone know them?

SantryRed wrote: »
    3rd pick :D

Is it not better to go HB rather than QB?

A matter of opinion ben, at 3rd you'll have a choice of great players thats for sure.

I'd consider drafting rodgers there if he's not gone. Probably the safest player in the draft

Raoul wrote: »
    Ehhh any chance I can get the details of this resent please? Or does anyone know them?

What details are they? I haven't a clue on the lay out.

• Advertisement

Raoul, you will need Rob to boot you before you can add another team.

Advertisement