Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to register online and claim levy/tax credits/ refunds : Now Includes Forms

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Have you read the form?

Your employer does not need to sign it.

You didn't ask for help. You asked for a form. The form is here.

If you have another look around you'll see another stickied thread that points out Revenue are not processing the refunds at the moment due to industrial action.

What response do you expect? What's the point of me posting resources if people don't bother to check them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Hi All

Im looking to claim tax back on rent I have paid from may 2008 to Present

From may 2008-09 I was paying 1025 and from may 09 - now 950

I was wondering if I claim due I get tax credits or do I get money into my Bank account

Also im registered with paye anytime and it asks me for the amount I payed in a tax year

Could any of you tell me the tax year for 08-09 and 09 to 10

My rent was paid to a private landlord

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 LAZA

Hi forgive my ignorance but on the Form 12 2009 where you have to give your employment paye details etc. There is a question 'Gross Amount of tax deducted.' Should you just put in the amount of paye deducted in the year or do you also include the prsi i paid and income levy? Appreciate any assistance, first time completing one of these. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭boxermad

i am in my early 20s and have been working part time since may 2007 and 2008 than got 30-39hours from 2009 to present (all with same company), on my payslip it says tax credit and it has a figure around 2000euro. i can hardly claim that back can I? Also I hear there is a trade union tax back? Anyone know anything about this and also I am renting a house with a mate and someone told me I can reclaim tax, is this true?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

I registered a little while ago myself and just received my PIN. I just checked it out and I'm a little bit confused. So, thanks in advance to whoever can shed light on this.

In the Your Tax Credits section I have certain monetary amounts under PAYE Tax Credit and Personal Tax Credit under the heading of Gross Relief Due. What does that imply?

Is it possible to claim back cash on amounts paid to college as a mature student online opposed to the IT31 form?

Thanks all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 zxr500man

thats great info,great job.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭jusvi2001

I have recently claimed tax credit for 2009,2008 and 2007 online. does anyone know how and when they will credit it back.

Will i get it back as cash credited to my bank account? if yes how soon?

or

are they going to adjust it with the future tax calculations?

I feel so stupid for not checking and using the PAYE anytime for tax credits in previous years. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

as far as i know,previous tax years claimed will be payed to your bank,any tax returned for this present financial year will be done via your current employer

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭stanley1980

I received my ros pin the other day-I know its a great service and website but all its done is made me realise just how thick I am!

Can some one please help me! It says I have 3 tax credits-can some one please explain in simple language what this means and what implications (i.e will i get any money back?) this may have?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Losphel

I received my ros pin the other day-I know its a great service and website but all its done is made me realise just how thick I am!

Can some one please help me! It says I have 3 tax credits-can some one please explain in simple language what this means and what implications (i.e will i get any money back?) this may have?
    Everything depends on your circumstance. Obviously this isn't official advise, so I'd suggest contacting Revenue to get proper advise, but I'll try and explain.

If you're employed, you should have PAYE Tax Credits and Personal Tax Credits. Personal credits are given provided you are resident in Ireland; PAYE credits are given if you are employed. You also mentioned you had a 3rd tax credit which could be many things.

How Tax Credits work is that the amount of tax you would pay is deducted by the amount of credits you have.

As an example, let's say you earn €20,000 per year which is at 20% tax rate. €20,000 * 20% = €4,000. Then you have your tax credits at, for example, €3,660.
    €4,000 - €3,660 = €340.

Therefore you would have to pay €340 in PAYE tax (PRSI is a completely different tax and it's Social Welfare who deals with that.)

Note that you cannot get any money back for any left-over tax credits and they don't roll on to the next year.

Hope that helped and if you don't understand, feel free to PM me.

• Advertisement

Thanks a million Losphel- that makes sense. Very much appreciated.
    I checked my bank account today and I got a fairly substantial (by my standards!) amount of tax back! I'm delighted as I wasnt expecting it. The recehave always been very helpful.

I'd like to try and claim money back on medical expenses too (i dont have private insurance) do you know if receipts etc are required?

You'll need to wait until January before you can claim medical expenses for this year (although if you need to claim for other years, you can.)

Whether or not they require receipts is really at the discretion of Revenue. If they do need receipts, they'll send you a letter asking for that but when you initially send your form in, you don't need to include it. Of course, if you already happen to have all your receipts, then it can't hurt to send them in either. Just make sure that anything you send in is a copy and not the original.

P.S. GP visits count!

Ok, once again thanks a lot. More than likely I'll be back on here asking you more questions. Considering how important this stuff is I cant understand how i know so little about this stuff!I've always tried to keep abreast of current affairs etc but when it comes to financial matters I seem to know less than your average primary school student! pretty sad really!

stanley how long did it take you from applying online to money in your account? seems to have gone through very quickly for you!

I'd say it took about a week- from filling in the stuff online to getting money into my account which is really impressive. The money i got back was for an over payment a couple of years ago. I've also applied for rent back and medical expenses from 2009 but haven't heard about these yet. how long have you been waiting?

I got my updated P21's in the post on the second

Right. Hopefully you won't be waiting too much longer. I'd really recommend using their online service- easy to use and all the documentation/coreespondence is there infront of you in your account. You register your bank details so any money goes straight into your bank account. You can see clearly what things you've applied for and haven't over the past 5 years. Puts pay to drawers full of paper. To be honest I'm still quite surprised that a modern, online service (that works!) like this is available in Ireland. Credit where credit's due!

Thats the thing...I did apply online!

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

Help!!
    My employer just showed me that i have NO tax credits allocated to me for 2011..
    I only work part time and normally do not earn enough to pay tax..
    Would anyone have an idea why this would happen..
    Revenue Offices closed.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Regardless of how many hours you work each week, you will always have tax credits.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Does anyone know where the "exempt income" has gone to in the PAYE online?
    It's there for 2008, when I last declared on the rent a room scheme, need to do it again this year, but can't find it anywhere.

I've sent an email to the revenue, but sure it could take weeks to get a response from them.

Thanks

aurora 527 wrote: »
    Help!!
    My employer just showed me that i have NO tax credits allocated to me for 2011..
    I only work part time and normally do not earn enough to pay tax..
    Would anyone have an idea why this would happen..
    Revenue Offices closed.:(

Probably a little late and you would have sorted it out by now but....
    I would imagine that if you are jointly-assessed and are the non-assessable spouse (the person who earns the least is generally the non-assessable spouse), the assessable spouse will have all the credits and the rate band.

Another possible reason is if you have two employments, all your credits and rate band may be allocated to one employment. For example, you have Job A and Job B. Job A has all the credits but Job B does not have any.

I'm not sure if you can allocate them online, but if you can't, ring (or call in) to Revenue and they'll help you adjust your credits and send a Tax Deduction Certificate (TDC) to your employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

What exactly is the procedure for claiming tax back on health expenses? I had surgery and visited the doctor a few times and got prescribed medication a few times in 2010- now on the website under "claiming health credits" it wants a cash figure for the year 2010- is this figure a combination of the surgery and doctors and medication or do you only claim the doctors/meds by handing in Med1 form, can anyone help? I have kept all receipts for the surgery and doc and medication. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I applied online over 2 weeks ago and still haven't recieved my pin in the post. Is this normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Shryke wrote: »
    I applied online over 2 weeks ago and still haven't recieved my pin in the post. Is this normal?

I got my PIN about 2 weeks ago, but yeah, it did take over 2 weeks for it to come. Might be a bit of a delay atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Jonathanh

Hey, I am looking to claim tax back for last year, I worked from Jan to Sept then left the country for a year, so I am looking to claim tax back for the remaining three months of last year. I set up my ros account but am having trouble using the online service. I have received my P60 and income levy form (in PDF form) from my employer but have no idea how to use them with the ros service?... I would consider myself fairely adept at using online services but am totally dumbstruck with revenue.ie?!? Anyone else find this?... Anyway, any help is greatly appreciated...

Oh yeah, I emailed my local revenue office four times and have heard nothing back... Kind of frustrating!!...

Cheers...

J

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 andrewchen

This sounds really cool. Gonna keep it in mind for future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

Hey I'm looking at claiming tuition fees from 08/09.
    Can I do this through PAYE online?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 manu81

due to my own stupidity i forgot to claim on aviva health insurance 2010. while not hugely significant i.e. just a few gp and dentist visits, its pretty pointless having health insurance if i forget to claim!

terms and conditions state you must claim 3 months after end of previous policy year.

my question is: can i claim for them using med1 form instead? even though there was a tax credit built into the annual health insurance subs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Gianangelo

Bit of a question for you.

I've been working full time this whole tax year i.e. from January, earning about 22k per annum.

I am leaving to go back to college in the next few weeks. Am I entitled to claim tax back?

If so, how much and how do I go about it?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement