Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Football Manager 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Dave1711

Sirsok wrote: »
    Belarus, China or Aus are on the agenda next, all though wouldn't mind another pop at Argentina, if i don't get sacked!

China is great fun have a rake of cash to spend on your foreign players and can hoover up and half decent Chinese player for pretty cheap, can make some pretty fun teams

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Dave1711 wrote: »
    China is great fun have a rake of cash to spend on your foreign players and can hoover up and half decent Chinese player for pretty cheap, can make some pretty fun teams

Though we were in line for the season to end, but just realized a new league is set up at the end of proper league, this league is mental!

So i have a chance to redeem myself , still think i'll get the sack after a terrible opening 8 games, went on like a 14 game winning streak, and finished the league poorly.

So China may be on the cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Dave1711 wrote: »
    FM2021 on the xbox game pass now.

Been doing a save with no transfers, so only relying on youth intake up to League 1 now from Vanarama North after about 8 years.

Are you playing on the xbox? I've always ignored everything but the full game, always felt like blasphemy.

On my Roma save; Europa league has been awful, 3 games in 2 draws and a loss against 3 poor teams... the league however is flying, unbeaten and only two draws, even beat Juve away and kept Ronaldo quiet. Really enjoying managing a 'normal' team for once, managed to kick out a few of the older lads and brought in Kepa and Boga as my biggest signings (chelsea bias showing through). And most importantly got Pellegrini to sign a new contract and burn that minimum fee release clause.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭barryribs

hots wrote: »
    Are you playing on the xbox? I've always ignored everything but the full game, always felt like blasphemy.

I think I saw it released on xbox game pass for PC, thats probably what he meant.

• Advertisement

Xbox game pass works on pc as well so can play the normal pc version.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

"I want to move to a club with a higher rep"

Gets what he wants.

6 months later:

3dffdb5433ec4a673026f6bb7bda2863.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭munster87

If you purchase the full game is the touch version included or are they completely separate nowadays? On PC

munster87 wrote: »
    If you purchase the full game is the touch version included or are they completely separate nowadays? On PC

You get both, on steam at least.

Ended up leaving Argentina and taking over Wolves and my mate Leicester as they both got relegated at the end of last season.

Finished up with League Cup and Trofeo De Champeones as he won League, Copa Argentina and Supercopa.

Selling a few players so had a nice budget in comparison to what i had with Boca Juniors, went a bit mad picking up people. Sold like 5, with a few more to leave. Brought in 11!

https://scoreline.ie/football-manager-football-show-009/

• Advertisement

We made it through August in the Championship. Think my experience with English teams is showing as Ken enjoys a bit more obscure names, so it's taking punts on lads that really shouldn't be in his team while ripping out the spine of Leicester. I managed to keep most of Wolves heavy hitters , while bringing in 16 lads!

https://scoreline.ie/football-manager-podcast-010-leicester-wolves/

We made it through August in the Championship. Think my experience with English teams is showing as Ken enjoys a bit more obscure names, so it's taking punts on lads that really shouldn't be in his team while ripping out the spine of Leicester. I managed to keep most of Wolves heavy hitters , while bringing in 16 lads!

https://scoreline.ie/football-manager-podcast-010-leicester-wolves/

You would know better than me but any reason why podcast over write-up blog-style? I find I've too many podcasts to listen to and there's far fewer written FM Story style things to read through compared to say 5 years ago, personally I would like to read-along if you know what I mean (biased as I used to blog my own one years ago and enjoyed it).

Started a new Yeovil save myself, furthest down the leagues I've gone this year, nice irish spine to the team, at least until my main striker got a 12 month cruciate injury in the second last friendly :rolleyes:

You would know better than me but any reason why podcast over write-up blog-style? I find I've too many podcasts to listen to and there's far fewer written FM Story style things to read through compared to say 5 years ago, personally I would like to read-along if you know what I mean (biased as I used to blog my own one years ago and enjoyed it).

Started a new Yeovil save myself, furthest down the leagues I've gone this year, nice irish spine to the team, at least until my main striker got a 12 month cruciate injury in the second last friendly :rolleyes:

Totally get it, think because we are both involved in radio and a live for audio its quite convenient to do a podcast.

Gave us something to do the last while overall aswell, an excuse to play a video game!

Ah no, did you manage to pick up an extra striker. I think I did a Yeovil save in some manager game on ps1 years ago

Totally get it, think because we are both involved in radio and a live for audio its quite convenient to do a podcast.

Gave us something to do the last while overall aswell, an excuse to play a video game!

Ah no, did you manage to pick up an extra striker. I think I did a Yeovil save in some manager game on ps1 years ago

I'm all about the excuse to play a video game, got 5 credits on my masters thanks to footy manager :D

I'd been hoovering up any 17-19 year olds I could anyway on frees just to try and build the squad out a bit with some cheaper options, they've got the call up, two young ones now battling it out for my pressing striker spot beside my target man. First time I've played a straight(ish) 442 in donkeys years!

4-4-2 , I have not go to play that in years! Always like playing three in midfield, occasionally with an ACM! but I have rarely been down in the depths that you find yourself in!

Yeah these boys aren't ready for such sophistication, Target Man and Pressing Forward up front, B2B & BWM in midfield, nice and agricultural... 10 games in and joint top but straight out of the FA Cup after a tricky draw to Ipswich.

I may give it a go at lower level, I think I have a very set way of playing and the boca journey kinda opened my eyes to have diverse it can be.

Ive done most of European Leagues, Aus and MLS. But always top division. Not always best teams but mostly. Say if I did go championship I'd be a decent enough side.

Your Yeovil chat sounds exciting.

Ken who I play with added Kilkenny City to Division 1, think he does a blog spot or atleast was

https://kenmc.com/kilkenny-city-afc-002-first-day-on-the-job/

That Kilkenny post is exactly the sort of thing I love reading! My old one many years ago was an amatuer hour effort at the same sort of thing.

Yeah I'm normally a promotion team in the second/third tier, trying to make a quick run up the leagues, and then I lose interest when I can't break the top level :D

MLS is brutal in FM, so confusing with the trades and drafts, and I'm used to it a tiny bit with the NFL. Hoping they tackle it seriously at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭barryribs

Do you guys sign players for specific roles or modify the roles in the tactics to suit the player? Just curious as I always modify the roles.

Into my 5th season now with Southend up in the championship, great team to play as they are flat broke and have a transfer embargo for the first window. Picked up some good youth players discarded by premier league teams and some good free agents but I don't have the flexibility to sign for example a pressing forward. If I get a guy scouted and signed who's a target man, he'll play as a target man

Depends, if I only have full backs in my team who can't cross, I won't make a tactic that relies on wingbacks bombing on and whipping in good balls... but when I'm signing players I sign them to fit the tactic as much as possible. At the lower levels that's basically "is he taller than 6ft" and make him a target man or does he have stamina & work rate over say 12 and make him a pressing forward.

• Advertisement

Last day of transfer window , September done and we finish the show with the first live game. If its not your cup of tea , the last ten minutes are still worth a listen. Perfectly encapsulates Football Manager.

https://scoreline.ie/the-football-manager-football-show-011-from-transfer-deadline-day-to-some-crazy-live-games/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

barryribs wrote: »
    Do you guys sign players for specific roles or modify the roles in the tactics to suit the player? Just curious as I always modify the roles.

Into my 5th season now with Southend up in the championship, great team to play as they are flat broke and have a transfer embargo for the first window. Picked up some good youth players discarded by premier league teams and some good free agents but I don't have the flexibility to sign for example a pressing forward. If I get a guy scouted and signed who's a target man, he'll play as a target man

I've a system and I usually train the player to fit the role

New episode of The Football Manager Football Show, with both our Wolves and Leicester teams subjected to takeovers.

Few tactical tweaks for certain games , particularly my wolves game against Blackburn if anyone is interested

https://scoreline.ie/the-football-manager-football-show-012-takeovers-and-bad-parrott-jokes/

New episode of The Football Manager Football Show, with both our Wolves and Leicester teams subjected to takeovers.

Few tactical tweaks for certain games , particularly my wolves game against Blackburn if anyone is interested

https://scoreline.ie/the-football-manager-football-show-012-takeovers-and-bad-parrott-jokes/

Troy Parrott must have the most variable potential in the game, he's been a prem top scorer and dwindled down the tiers in my saves this year...

Yeovil managed the unthinkable in my save, two title winning seasons on the bounce! In about 500k debt now, and closed out the season with 4 losses and a draw only clinging onto the title by 3 points, I reckon League 1 could be a killer. On the positive side, the squad is pretty nicely pruned and managed to pinch 4 18/19 year olds released from the prem, 2 City and an Arsenal lad, should give me enough to stabilise in Leageu 1 with a bit of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

I'm presuming the European Super League teams will be removed from future FM's if it goes ahead.

Good riddance

Troy Parrott must have the most variable potential in the game, he's been a prem top scorer and dwindled down the tiers in my saves this year...

Yeovil managed the unthinkable in my save, two title winning seasons on the bounce! In about 500k debt now, and closed out the season with 4 losses and a draw only clinging onto the title by 3 points, I reckon League 1 could be a killer. On the positive side, the squad is pretty nicely pruned and managed to pinch 4 18/19 year olds released from the prem, 2 City and an Arsenal lad, should give me enough to stabilise in Leageu 1 with a bit of luck.

How are the board in relation top the debt you are in? Suppose they cant feel too aggrieved by it to be fair considering back to back promotions.

Free transfer are a dream, as you can always end up selling them for a buck. I generally cant resist picking up a former big named player even if they are well passed their best!

Me and Ken went head to head in this one with him being second and me on top, significant points difference. You can feel the scripting somewhat in the game sometimes when playing co-op.

https://scoreline.ie/the-football-manager-football-show-013-its-time-for-leicester-v-wolves/

• Registered Users Posts: 20 tonorio84

Was looking for a game to build a team so went with Wimbledon. Not much money but a new stadium due.

20/21, finished 5th in League 1, won playoffs to be promoted Won Football League Trophy (whatever it is called now)

21/22, Despite having little to money, managed to get some good loan players in and ended up finishing second in the championship, losing out on winning it on the last day

22/23, Still little money and stadium expanded a bit started off woefully losing 12 and drawing 2 of my first 14. Preparing for life in the championship the next year but went on a remarkable run around Easter of 8 wins in 10 and ended up staying up in 15th

23/24, Money starts to roll in, so spend some. Finished 17th, escaping relegation by the skin of my teeth

24/25, After having Gavin Bazunu on loan for the previous 3 years, I finally buy hum along with a few other. Have an ok season finished 13th and beaten by Spurs in the League Cup final

25/26, Board decide to renovate the stadium and as a result I have to share with Fulham. Doesn't hurt me as I have my highest finish ever, 7th. Ending up qualify for the Europa Conference .

26/27, League form suffers as I embark on the European campaign. End up winning the Europa Conference, beating Lille in the semi final with a last minute winner and Wolfsburg in the final to qualify for the Europa League. Finish 17th in the league but 11 points off 18th so relegation was never an issue

27/28, Finally establish myself as a Premier League team not having to worry about relegation. End up with Lille and Wolfsburg in the group stages of the Europa League. End up third and in the Conference again. Win again, beating Bilbao on penalties in the final. Finish 13th but only 5 points off 7th.

28/29. Scout South America for young talent and find 3 regens with 5 star potential. Knocked out of Europa League in the second round on away goals. Best season ever as finish above Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs to claim 4th and my first Champions League appearance.

29/30. Draw Bayern, Lyon and Dynamo Zagreb in the group stages. League form is average, picking up 8 points from first 6 games. Do beat Lyon 4-0 in my first CL game..

To be continued............

That is some turn around! Congrats! Nice to see the Dons back!

How much did your budget end up increasing to? My financials rarely seem to grow to levels that compete with big teams I have found.

Here is our last show from last week, dealing with a January transfer window. When I have money I find it hard to resist.

https://scoreline.ie/the-football-manager-football-show-014-the-wheeler-dealer-january-transfer-window-edition/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 tonorio84

If memory serves me right my budget in my first year was around 19mill with a 400k a week wage budget. Now in my CL season it was 70 odd million with a 2 mill a week budget.

Stadium is now at its max capacity of 20,000 so further room for growth would be limited. Have to be creative with transfers, always seem to follow a good season with a bad one.

Haven't had much time to play lately but after 9 games I'm sitting 16th. 6 points from 9 in CL, followed the win over Lyon with a hammering by Bayern and easily defeating Dynamo

Advertisement