Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First TT Bike - Dont like it!

• 12-04-2021 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi folks
    So this year I finally splashed out and bought a new TT bike (Orbea Ordu). The bike is class. I love how it looks etc, but I really am not enjoying the ride on the bike. When in the TT position, I feel OK but when on the basebars, its pretty uncomfortable. Especially on Irish roads where Im not that confident in the TT position anyway and every bump and pothole nearly gives me a heart attack.
    Overall, I feel like I made a bit of a mistake going for a TT bike when I probably should have went for a new road bike.

Anyway, just wondering if there is any advice/tips for a new TT biker?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

ride it more. takes getting used to. i know the first time i rode mine i was petrified, no brakes. bit of time with it you won't even be thinking about it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭BennyMul

exactly what @Mossym says ride it more,
    did you get a bike fit or is it based off the road bike?

but remember its a new bike with a new position it takes a while to become comfortable with it, if you can start on a straight road with decent tarmac and hold the position for as long a you can; take a break from it and sit up give the mind and body a rest then repeat; after a while add in corners and just enjoy the new bike

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

Get a proper bike fit on it you haven’t already. Then just get out on it as much as you can. Enjoy, lovely bike ðŸ‘ðŸ».

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭S_D

First things first - get a proper bike fit. I always go to Aidan hammond and I find him excellent. Very busy though.

Get in the TT position as much as possible. Start with 3 minutes. then 5 mins...then try a 10 min easy effort..then do just the warm up etc... eventually build into holding a steady 60 min turbo set in the bars. Keep power low. Dont go bursting a gut. build into over weeks/months. It takes time and lots of it. I"m not flexible and it took ages...Start just on the turbo and work you way up to holding efforts in that position. After a few months you'll be flying. Then get out on the road and mix it up - base bars- TT positions etc. Its not a pleasent position to be in but the more time in it gets those muscles just used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Cona44 wrote: »
    Hi folks
    So this year I finally splashed out and bought a new TT bike (Orbea Ordu). The bike is class. I love how it looks etc, but I really am not enjoying the ride on the bike. When in the TT position, I feel OK but when on the basebars, its pretty uncomfortable. Especially on Irish roads where Im not that confident in the TT position anyway and every bump and pothole nearly gives me a heart attack.
    Overall, I feel like I made a bit of a mistake going for a TT bike when I probably should have went for a new road bike.

Anyway, just wondering if there is any advice/tips for a new TT biker?

just make the tri pads as wide as possible wider is stable. and than get narrower as you get more comfi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Comfort and speed are not compatible...just the reality of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Cona44

Yep, I can understand that. My problem is I bought the bike primarily for long distance triathlon, where some level of comfort is required. Hopefully, it just takes a bit of getting used to

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

i guess i saw your bike and the one thing that sticks out is that you could turn the base bar around and that would raise it i think 3 cm

also you should have gone with the xl

Advertisement